[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do ya niggaz think about Dragonskin, why don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1903.jpg (77KB, 589x854px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1903.jpg
77KB, 589x854px
What do ya niggaz think about Dragonskin, why don't mo nigguhz use eet??
>>
Nigguh.
>>
File: future-250x210[1].jpg (16KB, 250x210px) Image search: [Google]
future-250x210[1].jpg
16KB, 250x210px
I think the general consensus is that it's a failed gimmick.
I really don't know enough about it, but I can't imagine what kind of advantage it would have over standard plates.
>>
>>33714105
From what I read it took an absurd amount of rounds like
50 9mm
15 7.62x39mm
and more without going through.
>>
>>33714105
AFAIK it's not even a gimmick. It's just heavy as fuck and expensive as fuck.
>>
>>33714138
>50 9mm
>50
literally meaningless. Thank god the army didn't adopt that 50lb anchor. Massive R&D has been invested in body armor, the plate carriers that we have developed in the past 5 years are better than dragon skin in almost every way.
>>
Needs more development.

The concept is solid.
>>
>>33714161
Still not flexible or cover as much.

Army and Marines developed different soft armor vests that hold plates. That do all the same things. Army even developed a female version.
>>
>>33714057
it falls apart before you even get a chance to use it, you retarded itoddler.
>>
Isn't it expensive as fuck? like 10x the cost of regular armor?
>>
>>33714143
>>33714057

Also, hot environments trended to make it fall apart.
Almost all our troops overseas are in what part of the world?
>>
>In Fresno, California, a police department commissioned the purchase of Dragon Skin for its officers after a vest stopped all the bullets fired during a test, including .308 rounds from a rifle and 30 rounds from a 9mm MP5 fired from five feet away. The armor also stopped 40 rounds of PS-M1943 mild steel-core bullets from an AK-47 along with 200 9 mm full metal jacket bullet fired from a submachine gun.[9]
>Dragon Skin Level III armor was also tested the week of October 2, 2006 by Dr. Gary Roberts, DDS, Stanford University Medical Center.[10] These tests were conducted for a local law enforcement agency, as a control sample a stand-alone Armored Mobility Incorporated (AMI) level III steel composite plate armor was used for comparison. Both types of armor were conditioned for 12 hours at 170 °F (77 °C), then moved to ambient air for approximately 90 minutes prior to being shot. Each armor system was shot a minimum of 20 times with five rounds of each ammunition type fired against each armor system—one 90 degree perpendicular shot, two shots at 60 degrees obliquity, and two shots at 30 degrees obliquity, using each of the following loads fired at a distance of 10 feet (3.0 m):
5.56 mm 40 gr LeMas Urban Warfare (using a moly coated Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet) with a 3,718 feet (1,133 m) per second average velocity.
5.56 mm M855 62 gr FMJ with a 3,054 feet (931 m) per second average velocity.
7.62×39mm M43 123 gr steel-core FMJ with a 2,307 feet (703 m) per second average velocity.
.30-06 M2 150 gr FMJ with a 2,736 feet (834 m) per second average velocity.
All of the above ammo was successfully stopped by both armor systems in this testing, with no armor failures or penetrations, even after receiving multiple hits.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Skin
Shit gets fucky with the military testing.
>>33714176
Ur a faget
>>
>>33714170
What if.......it was made to cover more of your body...
>>33714189
Yea but if it deflects 10x the amount of bullets that's a dope tradeoff
>>33714209
Yea, I don't give a fuck about the troops, seems mighty useful if temperature wasn't an issue.
>>
>>33714245
I think I recal hearing about the shitbag in charge of testing it for the military putting a hole in it somehow and killing the deal. He then retired and went to work for Point Blank who did get the contract for new vests.

Who knows tho. I think it's too expensive. You can pick up a plate carrier and III+ plates for around 300$ now.
>>
If it weren't unobtanium and expensive I'd use it

From what I remember it's supposed to be lighter and better protection and since the temps here never get over 95 even on the worst of the worst day, I don't have to worry about melting
>>
It wears out quickly under normal use, the heat breaks down the adhesive and elastics keeping everything where it needs to be, and it costs more than something almost as good at taking the three rounds your average soldier takes before learning to stay down or catching one in a non armored area. The time to check the 4 dozen tiny plates is prohibitive and the benefit isn't really there for development to continue outside experiments for next generation gear. I'd put money on a cheaper version of being used as an underlay or overlay once light weight sapi plates develops a little more and the liquid armor decides if it's going to be light enough for use on people.
>>
Question is, does anybody make it now?
>>
>>33714274
>Yea, I don't give a fuck about the troops, seems mighty useful if temperature wasn't an issue.

Funny, ya know who does? The army.
>>
>>33714307
Would you say it'd be more viable for short term use, like SEAL missions where they're in combat for a shorter period of time, and then out of action?
>>
>>33714323
Still don't give a fuck what the army thinks.
>>
>>33714057
Overlapping plates will always be heavier for a given degree of protection by virtue of overlapping as well as having to be individually thicker to account for free edge-edge effects
>>
>>33714355
>Still don't give a fuck what the army thinks
>but I demand they listen to me and use my armor of choice

It's like you're trying to be retarded.
>>
>>33714057
Probably because they went out of business 7 fucking years ago.
>>
>>33714307
ookay, this is essentially ceramic scale armour right? Why need to use adhesive? Can't it be laced in place like a some sort modern lamellar armour or riveted like modern brigandine?
>>
>>33715524
I'd imagine that would make it even heavier than just an adhesive.
>>
File: 1490668877704.jpg (96KB, 580x625px) Image search: [Google]
1490668877704.jpg
96KB, 580x625px
>>33714057
First of all, I am not a negro, nor a gangster and neither are most of us.

Please address us like a proper human being.
Thank you.

Now the fun part. About 15 years ago some french company manufacturing ceramic elements tried to sell us (the polish military) shit like that.
So we did ballistic tests of in the lab it and it failed completely.
Funny part is the salesmen was so full of himself he wanted the tests to be performed on him wearing the vest. His face when he saw both front & back penetrated - priceless. I guess fags who sent him to Poland didn't tell him much about the product he was selling.

Funny to see this shit bouncing back now and then, because I remember several threads about this on /k/ in the recent years.
I think the production process of such small ceramic discs is simpler & cheaper than larger plates, that's why from time to time someone want's to capitalize on that, and sell it as body armor to some suckers.
>>
I kind of miss when /k/ was whatever had been on Future Weapons that week, plus a bunch of proto-/(ar or ak)g/ stupidity, SKSen and $80 Mosins.
>>
>>33714057
As others have said, and it's been a while since I last researched it, but it was a combination of several factors, the environmental factor that caused the adhesive to break down, the weight, the cost, and finally shady business practice.

Off the top of my head, again details are fuzzy, but they basically made a small scale sale, or were attempting one, to the US military, and said it had a certified NIJ rating. When the gubbmint buyer guys followed up on it, turns out it didn't. When questioned the Pinnacle people said that they didn't have it in writing but they got the verbal okay to say so. They were never able to verify this.

Sounds to me like they were honestly onto somethin but when the fine tuning got costly and difficult, and would require a lengthy test and retuning process, they tried to jump the gun before the dosh dried up.
>>
>>33714274
If it is quick and simple to get on in just woke up retarded mode I could see it for home defense if I had bigger issues than antifa friendly college students. For my issues a combo 3a and stab resistant vest is a bit overkill but its quickly on of I have the extra 3 seconds. Fuck walking more than 200 yards in dragon skin though my joints got enough rice crispys from past events
>>
>>33715568

primo autismo ma famiglia
>>
>>33715570
Nigger I still remember futureweapons advertisements on the billboards in Battlefield 2142 before the show had even aired once.
>>
>>33714138
Great, now try to stop some 22-250, 25-06, or even M193.

Hint: You won't.
>>
>>33714245
>lol we can't stop M193 so we'll just demo against a whole bunch of easy to stop cartridges
>we can't stop M193 so we'll just list M855 even though it's way worse against steel
>>
File: 1486334502796.jpg (152KB, 500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1486334502796.jpg
152KB, 500x1000px
>>33714057
>Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
A thread died for this.
>>
>>33715667
270 solid copper tends to cut through as well
>>
>>33715643
This is an American speaking board, in here we speak American.
If you want to speak Mexican, go to a Mexican board.

https://youtu.be/JWUih1VT34s?t=1m46s
>>
The problem with Dragonskin was that it wasn't logistically sound to repair/refurb shattered units, driving up operational costs, and that it (allegedly according to the developer) could not stand up to the heat for extended periods innasandbox
>>
>>33715871
fuck i have no idea what this fag is on about
>>
>>33715524
The ceramic scales in dragon skin and the plates in modern body armor are made of ceramic backed with kevlar. Any holes in the plates would would be a point of failure and would greatly reduce the overall performance of the armor. If you take a couple hits then these plates start to crumble and you're left with a bunch of gaping holes in your armor.
>>
>>33714057
>What do ya niggaz think about Dragonskin, why don't mo nigguhz use eet??

Because there was better before and after it. Including ceramic tiled Kevlar in the late 80s that worked. Its a meme
>>
>>33714209
If im not mistaken, wasnt it documented that the "heat issue" was found by less than honest methods conducted by the brass?
>>
>>33716115
why not simply sew array of small pockets for replaceable plates then?
>>
>>33715627

This. Its actual performance of stopping bullets was quite good. Its cost, the fact it melted in heat, and (if i recall) also had problems in extreme colds combined with the cost made it a no go. I'd wager the cost was the biggest impediment to its further development seeing as how the military can't/won't buy premium items to be standard issue.

I do wish it got more R&D. Hopefully someone will pick up the concept in the future.
>>
>>33714057
its shit
>>
>>33714274
>He doesn't know

Everyone shoots center mass, and the chances of being shot in the limbs are smaller than in the chest. Additionally, you only really need to armor the front and back of the torso, rather than all sides, so it's more protection for the weight you're giving up. So you can either have 60% protection at 20% of what a soldier can handle, or 80% at 60% and a limited range of motion.
>>
>>33716058
Who. Specify.
>>
>>33714676
I never demanded anybody use anything retard.
>>
>>33714689
And? So what. if it was as effective a design as some tests demonstrate wouldnt it be relevant?
>>
>>33715665
2142 was the best Battlefield. Pan Asian Coalition a best alliance.
>>
>>33715627
>>33716425
Wouldn't this be extremely effective in any nonextreme temperature environment, like most of USA, I'm not really worried what the military thinks about it.
>>
>>33715568
I'll call you a nigguh if my nigguh ass wants to. nigguh.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.