[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't schools offer programs in weapons engineering?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: sa80_rifle.gif (11KB, 512x340px) Image search: [Google]
sa80_rifle.gif
11KB, 512x340px
Why don't schools offer programs in weapons engineering? And what do weapon engineers usually study in uni?
>>
>>33701971
mechanical engineering I'd guess
>>
>>33701971

Mechanical engineering is the only valid answer if you're talking about firearms design.
>>
>>33701971
Any of the stems honestly.
There's not an individual degree for any specific job plus "weapon engineer" is a broad field.
>>
TFW you will never be a weapons engineer because everyone and their mother makes either AK rip-offs or AR rip-offs.
>>
>>33701971
A gun is a simple device. Mechanical engineering degree will do.
>>
>>33701971
Why would they? Should they offer programs in jack hammer engineering? Scuba tank engineering? Cutlery engineering?

There's nothing special about guns from a mechanical perspective, they're just simple tools any mechanical engineer could design.
>>
>EE, ME, CS, CE, ChemE
Most of these will get you a job building weapons famalam
>>
>>33702095
>CS
Can you explain why? Just software for weapons systems?
>>
>>33702150
That and encryption and hacking weapons and shit. "weapon" has become a broader term since the days when it was a sharp piece of iron.
But for instance, a radar system has shitloads of code.
>>
>>33701971
ha, I'm actually about to graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering for this exact purpose.
>>
>>33702196
>tfw always wanted to be ME
>come from family of engineers
>pretty much groomed for it
>academia gives me massive anxiety attacks
>tfw won't into dream job
fucking pain
>>
>>33702196
Are you me?
>>
>>33701996
Physics engineering? I know a bunch of hard science dudes that do ballistics and work on howitzer rounds
>>
>>33702228
>anxiety attacks
Women shouldn't be allowed to become Engineers anyways
>>
>>33702228
It wasn't easy- and I've suffered many anxiety attacks through this wild ride, but it all seems worth it now.
>>33702249
Yes....?
But for real, congrats man- perhaps one day we'll work together
>>
>>33702228
Nigga go see a psychiatrist.
>>
>>33702354
Two /k/ommandos working on the same weapon design team seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Have you had any luck finding a job?
>>
>>33701971
Go check out the big defense contractors on Glassdoor, and see who they employ and hire.

Engineers (mostly ME, EE, and Aerospace) make the weapons themselves. CS grads get to play with the software. And believe it or not, the Project Managers who monitor the assembly are usually business students hired straight out of college to an assistant management position. After everything is designed on paper, building it (or at least managing the work) is handled by the same kind of non-STEM assholes who manage production lines at any other company,
>>
>>33702228
For the love of god, skip academia and go straight into industry. Degrees don't count for shit anymore - start getting experience and making connections.
>t. unemployed MechEng grad
>>
>>33702501
A company that isn't half retarded sends its experienced engineers to get MBAs to become project managers.
>>
>>33702554
>EE or ME
>not having a job before you even graduate
Seriously, how do people do this. Where's your degree from? Devry?
>>
>>33702554
>i go to lincoln tech or some shit
>"i are an enganeer"
>>
>>33702581
Not that guy, but the job market for at least MEs is not as large as it has been in the last few years for entry level jobs. I'm still in school, but I've been having trouble finding a job. When my brother graduated before 4 years before me he was hired right out of college, but I have better grades and more experience.
>>
File: fafnjRD.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fafnjRD.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>33702447
>a disaster waiting to happen
Or possibly one of the greatest weapon designs ever!
Some places are interested in hiring me because I'm solidworks certified, and soon to have a degree, which is a winning combo- sadly, none of them are weapons related. So I'll prolly have to work for one of them for a few years before I can get into the firearms industry, but that's ok.
>>
>>33702787
What was involved in the solidworks certification? I was thinking about doing that. I already got my FE certification too, but there havent been too many bites.
>>
>>33702787
>>33702884
Also, that gif is gorgeous
>>
>>33702554
Yeah, go straight into industry. Just show up one day on Colt's headquarters and they'll let you right in.
>>
>>33702563
And then they become cunts.
>>
>>33702179

Confirmed. The USA says cracking computers and encryption is illegal... For you, anyway. They buy up vulnerabilities and use them as weapons against anyone they want with no oversight or limitations. They're even developing their own malware now. I seriously hope things like nuclear weapons are as analog as humanly possible. Can't hack that shit.

It's just a natural evolution of the old days when encryption algorithms were considered munitions. Not too long ago you couldn't export things like encryption algorithms above a certain strength because the USA didn't want other countries having encryption they couldn't break. Back in WW2 cryptography was used only by militaries and shit... Nowadays every single person in the developed world depends on it for everyday credit card transactions. They can't and don't hold back strong encryption anymore... So they're hoarding weapons that can subvert encryption, getting around it. Now they get at the information before it's even encrypted.
>>
>>33702034
This. BUT! Any advances in firearms will likely come in either the materials guns are made of, or projectiles.

Everything syfy is going to require physics.
>>
you just gave me a great idea

i didn't even realize that weapons engineering was a job.

I can do my 2 year army contract, get school paid for for a weapons engineering degree, and then go back to a guaranteed position in the army

thanks pal, i know what I want to do now
>>
>>33701971
do you WANT school shootings?
>>
>>33705714
In the eastern block i heard it existed. But no schoolshootings this far.
>>
>>33701971
physics, chemistry, and mechanical engineering are what you're talking about
>>
>>33704808
I heard they still had floppy disks to launch some of the older nukes
>>
>>33701971
Came here to post this, beaten to the punch.
>>33701996
>>
>>33701971
In Austria, there is a school for 14-19 years old, where you build your own rifle
>>
>>33702712
Boi the fucking industry is GROWING MORE than it has in the past DECADE. I'm still in school so I'm limited to coops and internships, but fucking apply to a hiring agency. Thats who companies are going through now.

Fucking Christ, every other day my email explodes with open positions for CAD draftsmen, Designers and Engineers.

You have to be fucking mentally retarded or completely autistic and unable to write a resume, or even unable to pay someone else 25 dollars to write you one.

Hell, next position that opens, I've pretty much have a guaranteed spot at a company that is willing to put me through Michigan Tech if I maintain my GPA
>>
>>33702884

You simply pay for the test and take it. Obviously taking classes is going to make it alot easier. The base level cert is pretty shit and wont really get you far, you want the professional cert.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.