[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How useful are dogs to the modern military operation? Are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: Soviet Border Guard..jpg (842KB, 1280x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Soviet Border Guard..jpg
842KB, 1280x1250px
How useful are dogs to the modern military operation?

Are they sideline police dogs only or can they be useful in combat?
>>
I was meaning to train my dog to carry a vest with magazines in it and just stay nearby me when things get chaotic. I should probably get on that, but it seems like a big project.
>>
Back in the sandbox we had a dog named millie, Belgian Malinois back when we first started using them or trialing them. We called her the "fur missile" would always be first through any door and would fuck up anyone she came across. One raid we sent her in first couple shots rang out and we went in, two guys were lying with their throats bitten and torn, she must have got the carotid artery because they weren't moving when we got in. She ended up getting promoted to corporal.

>Tfw outranked by a dog
>>
File: Anti-Tank Dog.png (291KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
Anti-Tank Dog.png
291KB, 520x390px
>>33699570
>>
>>33699676
My buddy was a dog handler. That's pretty crazy shit if true.

>Being outranked by a dog

Same shit. Marine boot camp, cake cutting ceremony. They promoted the base Generals pet bulldog to corporal. Just standing there in disbelief, did they really just promote a fucking dog to a higher rank than me?!?

Think they get dd214s also?
>>
>>33699676
>>33699890

Do they get fed more dog treats the higher rank they are?
>>
>>33699676
*salutes* to doggo
>>
>>33700813
dunno but they get to boss you around
>>
>>33699890
Cop dogs normally outrank their handler so any abuse done to the dog carries a more harsh punishment.
>>
>>33699676
>>33699890
They were good dogs
>>
File: 1353727751069.jpg (34KB, 500x667px)
1353727751069.jpg
34KB, 500x667px
>>33699570
>tfw the puppers you meet in Maholic had more kills than some of the team guys
>>
>>33699570

If Call of Duty has taught me anything, it's that dogs are capable of light-speed charges and will snap a neck in under a second flat
>>
>>33699825
Soviets truly have no soul
Rip Misha
>>
So is this a dog lovers thread now?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33699570
All. Know is solicitors stay the fuck away.
>>
>>33702174
Fuck I'm drunk
>>
>>33702112

When the fascists are at your doorstep, you send all into battle, sons and dogs.
>>
>>33702174
good on you for the prong collar. i see too many people with the stupid harness on their out-of-control dog when a choke chain or, in the case of a larger dog, a prong collar is what is needed

iam a firm believer in the koehler method of dog training.

also, the schnauzer is the peak of the dog breeder's art. but i'm biased.
>>
File: image.jpg (444KB, 1134x1523px)
image.jpg
444KB, 1134x1523px
>>33702252
He'll yeah I take that shit seriously training
>>
What if we, like, put a gun on the dog's back, and the trigger is set to go off every time the dog barks, and we train the dog to only bark at towelheads, so there's no friendly fire

Would that work?
>>
>>33702438
>dog barks
>BANG
>dog never barks again
>>
>>33702503

No, no, it's, like, on a stick, so it's above the dog's back
>>
File: 1491102333510.jpg (78KB, 960x916px)
1491102333510.jpg
78KB, 960x916px
>>33699825
DELETE THIS
>>
>>33702112
>>33702537
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lv_vd30s5s
>>
>>33701864

And that their own necks are made of paper-mache
>>
>>33699676
Malinois are like cranked out gsd's turned up to 11.
They work so fucking fast and enthusiastically its unreal. Properly trained ones blow gsd like mine completely out of the water as far as working dogs are concerned but I do not think I would want one as a pet. They are not dogs for the faint of heart.
>>
>>33700813
during the cold war the Soviets fed their guard dogs better than the conscripts.
I remember something to the effect of "they fed us borscht but the dogs got steak"
>>
Can a military dog be retired after it kills someone? What happens to a military dog if it kills an enemy combatant for some reason?
>>
>>33702112
It's cool. They proved to be largely ineffective because the dogs would get scared and return to their handlers/owners and blow them up.
>>
>>33699570
Most of the ones we had where explosives/mine sniffers, couple of guard dogs that mostly stayed on base and very few that where trained to attack.
Sniffer dogs are pretty indispensable critters really, they'll find damn near anything in a house, street and no real way to hide it from them. Wasn't real fond of the attack dogs, they're fucking brutal- no barking, growling or any of that, but you'll soon know if he's found someone because 40kg's of german shepherd attached to someone's nut sack makes all kinds of noise.
>>
>>33699570

For civilians they are usefull also, alot of work training the dog to do what you want to do but its worth it, basically becomes a lifestyle.

For instance I want my dog to range in and out and keep a perimeter no more than 50m away from me and even closer in thick bush and to indicate on game animals quietly and if he sees humans to come back to me straight away. He is about 14 months now and now at the stage where his recall is solid but he still gets puppy excited on animals sometimes. I do not train him with bitework or anything like that but will be doing some tracking with him soon.
>>
>>33704202
>What happens to a military dog if it kills an enemy combatant for some reason?
It gets a pat on the head and extra treats?

The real problem with dogs is that they're probably not going to leave someone alone who is unarmed.

Someone sees an angry dog come in to the room, they try to kick it and get their throat torn out.
A marine might (might) just tell them hands up, then cuff them.

>>33704547
>explosives/mine sniffers, couple of guard dogs that mostly stayed on base and very few that where trained to attack
I think this is the reality.
>>
>>33702514
I think the anon meant that it is a really loud noise, which scares the dog from barking again.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.