[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yo /k/ I'm brainstorming up a random warship creator and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Yo /k/
I'm brainstorming up a random warship creator and I've hit a snag i think you guys could help me with.

I'm trying to come up with ad-hoc shit the crew might add to the ship during downtime, similar to how tankers would add applique armor, jerry-rig extra MG mounts or spotweld tank desant handholds for friendly infantry to ride along.

The time period is from WWI to modern day and the things I've come up with are:
>Dazzle-Pattern Paintjob
>Kill Markers
>Battlegroup Flag
>P/A Gear
>Camo Netting
>Extra Deck Armor (Sandbags)
>Customized Sound System
>Improved Ventilation
>Extra Deck Armor (Mesh)
>Boosted-Strength Radio
>Extra Searchlights

I need 8 more things.
Have a sweet pic of the IJN Mutsu for your troubles
>>
>Upgraded/additional light weapons (Deck mounted MGs etc)
>AAA turret shields
>Emergency supply stockpiles and stations (fire suppression, first aid and emergency flotation devices)
>>
But the crews of modern warships wouldn't be adding stuff ad-hoc.
>>
>>33699618
I suppose it would depend on how anal retentive or lax in discipline the Navy in question is. I doubt OP is going for 100% realism.
>>
>>33699633
Yeah i'm not going for 100% total realism on this. I'm resurrecting a /tg/ thing from a few years back when the Tank/airplane/Mech creators were made. There were some ideas tossed around for a warship creator but nothing got made and it all fell into obscurity. I recently got a old drive working and found a lot of the stuff i had saved so i figured i might make something fo it, if only just to have the full set of creators.
>>
External flotation so any ship can be a troop lander.

Or maybe an air interdiction ship thats just 40mm and 20mm guns with barak missiles.
>>
>>33699373
>>Extra Deck Armor (Sandbags)

That doesn't really work. You're not going to have any measurable impact on large-calibre naval shells or AP bombs with a couple sandbags or some mesh. By the time you piled that stuff high enough to make a difference, you'll have ruined the seakeeping abilities of the ship - deck armor takes up a massive amount of weight due to the sheer volume it needs to cover.

Sandbags would be more used as vertical protection around AA mounts, lookouts, the bridge etc. to provide extra protection from shrapnel to the crews manning those positions.

For most things, you're gonna need higher-level logistics support. Making meaningful addittions to a full-size warship isn't something you can do from scrounging alone.
>>
>>33699854
>vertical protection around AA mounts, lookouts, the bridge etc

Yeah that was what i meant. Just wasn't sure how to word it.
>>
Nothing else? I remember having no problem looking up shit for some of the other creators. Are seamen just that more disciplined than tankers or don't they have enough downtime to ad-hoc up shit?
>>
>>33699373

>Extra Deck Armor (Sandbags)

Sandbags aren't going to make any difference to naval artillery.

>Customized Sound System

It's a warship, not a car.

>Kill Markers

????????

>I'm trying to come up with ad-hoc shit the crew might add to the ship during downtime

I'm not sure that's a thing that happened. You don't really have "downtime" in the navy, at least not back then. If you weren't doing something, the captain would find something for you to do. Having sailors sit around doing whatever they want is how mutinies get started.
>>
>>33700848
>Sandbags aren't going to make any difference to naval artillery
No but they'll provide a bit of cover if you're getting strafed by aircraft.

>Customized Sound System
Didn't stop tank crews or helo pilots from bolting on something to blast music with. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something that works

>Kill Markers
Gotta show you've seen action and given the enemy a bloody nose somehow. It probably won't be chalk marks on the casemates but give the gunners a incentive to one-up the other turret crews and by golly someone will find a bucket of paint and start keeping score.
>>
>>33700464

It's very hard to make "ad-hoc" modifications to a vessel that is likely several thousand tons, or more. Especially when you're at sea and you can't really collect extra materials. You know what sailors did with their genuine "down-time" when they were at ports? They'd get drunk and fuck any woman they could get their hands on before it was time to leave again.
>>
>>33700942
They actually did. Google SMS Emden in WWI. Among other things, the crew built a fucking fake smokestack to disguise the ship silhouette, chicken coops, extra coal bunkers etc.
>>
>>33699373
Ladder rungs welded onto the side of the ship that go from the deck to only a few feet under the deck, so it's nowhere near low enough that an enemy in the water can use it to get onto the ship, or for one on a much smaller ship to use it to board.

If the ship needs to take more people than it can fit, some can hold on to the ladders on the side. They can also be given guns to fire at enemies if they need to. If they are given rope and tie themselves to the hull, their bodies can continue to protect the hull from enemy fire even after they're shot.

You could even take captured enemy forces, strap them onto the side, and tell them their best chance of survival is to shoot at whoever is shooting your ship before they get shot by them.
>>
Q ship disguise? additional armor..(scrap metal) false compartments?...extra engine...
>>
>>33699373

>I'm brainstorming up a random warship creator

First, take a look at Spring sharp so you don't end up creating something that might already exist.

http://www.springsharp.com/
>>
>>33699373
Stuff to grow vegetables or other plants

Stuff to make alcohol

Catapult to fling shit at enemy

Stuff to catch fish
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.