[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I shot my first round that isn't .22 but 5.56 to be exact

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: 1475386526650.jpg (67KB, 720x662px) Image search: [Google]
1475386526650.jpg
67KB, 720x662px
So I shot my first round that isn't .22 but 5.56 to be exact and the things that I noticed was causing me trouble were breath
>breath control
>stance
>trigger pull
>flinching
What are some ways to get better and tighter groupings so basically a thread for marksmanship help and anything related is welcomed
>>
File: 1475386492662.jpg (76KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
1475386492662.jpg
76KB, 736x736px
>>
File: Gip.png (545KB, 576x742px) Image search: [Google]
Gip.png
545KB, 576x742px
>>33696358
Put a gip on your front sight. It works.
>>
What exactly IS the correct breathing method when shooting anyway?
>>
>>33696466
I'm no professional but I heard you should shoot on the out breath. Pill the trigger a second before you inhale. That was you aren't focusing on taking your next breath yet. But I don't know nothin' so disclaimers everywhere
>>
Bumper
>>
File: How_To_Sight_A_Mosin_Nagant.jpg (303KB, 666x738px) Image search: [Google]
How_To_Sight_A_Mosin_Nagant.jpg
303KB, 666x738px
>>
learn how to shoot with both eyes open first.
pratice trigger control while learning to ignore the boom(stop anticipating the click)
breath fucking normal, you dont want to change your heart rate or o2 levels...unless your trying to be some world class sniper the whole between heart beats wont matter once you become confident behind the trigger
>>
Listen to this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0FegopjJ6I
>>
>>33696358

you flinched with a 5.56?

upgrade to a bolt action 30-06. the pressure front will go into your lungs, and you'll see what flinch is. It'll work the flinch out and a 5.56 will seem like nothing.
>>
>>33696466
Inhale, exhale halfway, fire.
>>
There are defensive shooters who train to focus on target.
>>
>>33696466

Exasperated heavy breaths as you spray in the general direction of the person shooting at you because you just crawled up 100 meters of an Afghan hillside while someone shot at you while carrying 70lbs of equipment.
>>
If you have issues with flinching try dry fire practice or ball-dummy drills

https://pistol-training.com/drills/ball-dummy-drill
https://pistol-training.com/archives/5185
>>
>>33696457
What's a gip
>>
>>33696450
that graph is bullshit.
>>
>>33696358
Anyone else look past the sights at the target until the front sight comes into view instead of just staring at the front sight? I find it works better and I feel cross eyed when I try and look directly at the front sight.
>>
>>33698306
lol it looks backwards to me.
>>
>>33696450
This is bullshit. Depends entirely on preference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8JX2hZR_6g
>>
>>33696358
>5.56
>flinching
Maybe the whole thing about starting with a .22 wasn't such a good idea, after messing around with 12ga birdshots and touching 5.56 for the first time I just laughed.
>>
>>33698482
I was told the opposite of that. Though I guess YMMV.
>>
>>33699022
Never take any advice as an objective truth.

Take them as suggestions that are worth trying and evaluating yourself.
>>
>>33696358
Get out to the range and shoot. You need to desensitize yourself from the suprise of pulling the trigger. Once youre no longer forced to react to the firearm going off, then you can work on trigger pull and breath control.
>>
>>33696466
You fire on the pause after fully exhaling, right before inhaling

Source- basic combat training
>>
>>33696358
Trigger control and not flinching by far the most important aspects of shooting.

I don't care how good you breathe, I don't care how firm your stance is, you are not going to hit anything or anywhere near your point of aim if you move the gun in a completly random direction before the bullet leaves the barrel. You might as well not even aim if that's the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0rGtXh23I

Work on eliminating the flinch and trigger control first. Those are fundamentals that you simply need to get right before even thinking about improving anything else.

>how to get rid of the flinch
Shoot a lot. You simply need to get familiar with the firearm, get used to the recoil, noise and everything involved, it has become natural to you. Time and practice is all there is to it.

>how to improve trigger control
Shoot a lot. Dry fire ten times more than you shoot.
>>
>>33696450
>what are sights
>>
File: breath_control.png (390KB, 850x1234px) Image search: [Google]
breath_control.png
390KB, 850x1234px
>>33696358
There are some good suggestions in the thread already, so I'll just add a few.

Flinching: Shooting a lot is necessary but not sufficient. Some people naturally develop a bad flinch, and you need to specifically work on controlling it. That means shooting often enough to make progress, doing lots of dry firing (especially intermixed with live rounds), working out your grip and stance to minimize variables, and if necessary getting coaching. Also try wearing earplugs under earmuffs, especially at indoor ranges.

Stance: This depends on what you're trying to do. A target stance is very different from a combat stance. In any case, the most important thing is repeatability. You should be able to get into the exact same position every time without thinking about it. It takes practice.

Breathing: The standard doctrine is to shoot during the pause between breaths after you breath out. This is mainly for repeatability. Supposedly there's also longer period of comfort before heart rate increases and you start feeling a strong urge to breathe, but I find the opposite, so for target shooting I take a shallow breath and hold it.
>>
>>33696900
Drop at 100 yards? x54r from a mosin is still rising, this graph is shit.
>>
File: hasty-sling-1[1].jpg (477KB, 1152x1008px) Image search: [Google]
hasty-sling-1[1].jpg
477KB, 1152x1008px
Other people have explained breathing, but one thing I'd like to point out is that you shouldn't chase the target during your breathing cycle. If you're standing, your aim should naturally move around in a circular/J/figure eight pattern. If you're kneeling or prone, it will go up and down. Take a breath, exhale, and wait for the sight to settle on the target. Take a moment to make minor adjustments, then pull the trigger. Make sure to hold it for a moment before releasing.

Once you get good at breath control, learn how to shoot with a sling. It really helps with stability. See pic related.
>>
>>33696466
>>33699673
This.
If you hold your breath, you'll start to stress out as you feel your heart pounding.

Great to see an actual marksmanship thread on /k/ for a change.
>>
>>33698278
http://www.insightfirearmstraining.com/971/
>>
>>33698135
This desu
>>
>/k/
>Actually a good thread on shooting

Nice op. What'd you shoot?

Does /k/ know any good ways to deal with flinching without a buddy there to load mags with an undisclosed number of shots? I've started flinching on my AR10, and need to deal with it.
>>
when do you do pumpkin on a post and cut the circle in half/

it varies by sights or distance?
>>
File: 1351322584579.jpg (2MB, 1260x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1351322584579.jpg
2MB, 1260x1800px
How is flinching even a problem? Just don't do it. Just stay loose and squeeze the trigger.
>>
>>33696358
If possible to find random and/or moving range targets, do that. A day of that makes a normal range much easier. You will be bad at it at first.

Next up, if your range allows it (ask) do jumping jacks, push ups, etc. Get your breathing and heart rate up. Then try your targets. Basically mess with your bodies reaction and thought when aiming. This will give you better control in an emergency. Still follow proper breathing when firing, it is more challenging but again will condition soon a natural response.
>>
>>33706542
>t. noguns
>>
>>33706566
So what? Stop flinching. It's a mental thing that you consiously do. Just don't do it. Same goes for those people who have memed themselves into thinking they are "cross eye dominant". Just use the correct eye.
>>
>>33706542
>>33706599
God I hate no guns.
It isn't conscious dipshit. Otherwise no one would have the issue.
>>
>>33706645
It IS conscious. Just. Stop.
>>
>>33706645
People have the issue because they are training themselves to do it. It's like subconsciously flicking on a light switch even when you know the power is out. But if you think consciously, you can tell your arms not to jerk around.
>>
>>33706672
More like conditioned response, some could even argue genetic in some cases. They have to find a way to get rid of the condition. Wishing or just telling it to go away is not really a possibility.
>>
>>33706699
Let's take sea sickness or motion sickness for example.

Some get over it by drugs or patches. Some get over it by watching the coast line(if there). Some try to stay busy. If any are done long enough and you stay at sea or in the air you will find the condition to be decreasing over time.

Telling yourself "This is fine" on the ocean fishing is not going to cut it.. I learned that my first time and so did my cousin. I did feel better when he was puking over the side and a flying fish flew up and hit in the face though. Well.. for a little bit.
>>
>>33706702
>some could even argue genetic in some cases

Don't make me laugh. That's utter bullshit.
>>
>>33706733
That's completely different. It's caused by your brain trusting your inner ear more than your eyes.

Flinching is caused by you. No fresh shooter or .22 shooter does it. It's something you develop because you are anticipating recoil. Just stay loose and it won't happen.
>>
>>33706770
>Stay loose
>.308
Okay
>>
>>33706770
That is completely false. Flinching is not the same as anticipating recoil. Flinching is a reflexive response to a sudden stimulus. That's why it's called flinching, like when you flinch because somebody throws something at your face. The body's natural response to a sudden loud/bright/forceful/surprising stimulus is to jerk away.

Ever notice how some people jump more than others when surprised? It's not because they've chosen to have a stronger reaction, it's how their nervous system is wired. Some people are more sensitive to sudden stimulus than others. Flinching is not a conditioned response, but the cure for flinching is. For someone with a bad flinch, "stay loose" is not an adequate solution. It takes concerted training.

Also, new shooters don't flinch? Are you fucking retarded? Most new shooters flinch like crazy. .22 shooters usually don't flinch because .22s are quiet, have little to no muzzle flash, and have almost no recoil.
>>
>>33696450
It's more about how you pull the trigger (squeezing vs jerking) than where your finger is positioned.
>>
>>33706926
No, new shooters don't flinch. It's developed and triggers through anticipation. If it was a "jumping" response to the gun going off it wouldn't matter, because the bullet will have left the chamber before that reaction happens. A good way to check a rifle zero is to hand it to someone who's never used a rifle as big as it before because they won't flinch when they use it.
>>
>>33697478
This anon is right. Going from only shooting 8mm mauser to 5.56 and 7.62 really helped with not flinching at the smaller calibers.
>>
>>33706599
You need to consciously drink bleach.
>>
>>33707510
Wut.
Maybe that's true for the first round they fire, but in letting noguns friends shoot my .45 AARP some flinch on every Sept after the first. It doesn't even have much recoil, but once they've been spooked by it some are gunshy. They need to practice not flinching.
>>
>>33697080
Here he shows off his skill. Pretty impressive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J95pLF5dRvk
>>
>>33704064
This is an interesting article but holy shit reading it is really agitating. I feel like they're talking down to me like I'm a kindergardener.

>Lookie-lou
>“accom- modation.”

Regardless, I'm going to add a toothpick tip speck of red enamel to my front sights and see if it does anything for me.
>>
>>33696358
All of my shots come in roughly three inches low and left with pistols.

Last time we hit the range, we set 6x6 targets at 7 yards, and I went for a small bullseye in the upper right target-end result was a decent group dead center of the paper.

I've been completely consistent for about a year now. If I'm not being sloppy-consistent low and left groups. Point shooting from the holster without sights actually gets closer to the fucking bulls eye.

Buddy suspects left eye dominance, and says it'll fuck me even if my eye is closed. Apparently closing his right eye and shooting with the left produces low and right groups for him.

Does this sound correct to you, anons?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.