[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate to sound like a weeaboo, but the Spartans were not a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13

File: the eternal jap.png (41KB, 573x748px) Image search: [Google]
the eternal jap.png
41KB, 573x748px
I hate to sound like a weeaboo, but the Spartans were not a real warrior culture. They were literally a bunch of slaves and faggots. The real warrior culture was the Japs. The "300" Spartans were actually several thousand strong. It was the Samurai rebellion where 300 men fought against a much larger force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Shiroyama
>>
>>33695272
The Spartans had other Greeks with them. Spartan men also had about 3-4 servants who carried their gear, something similar to a squire who served a Knight in England.

The battle of thermopally was a more impressive display of their military prowess. Anyways you do come off as a weebu because your typical Spartan would fuck any tiny cocked jap up.
>>
File: osaka.jpg (1MB, 2100x1456px) Image search: [Google]
osaka.jpg
1MB, 2100x1456px
The Japs sure did have there share of epic battles I remember visiting Osaka castle and being amazed at the history and fortifications.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

Yeah but all of 350 japs got killed while killing only 30.

Makes 11,6666666667 Satsuma Samurai to 1 Samurai of the Imperial Army..

While the Greeks killed 20000 and lost 4000.
Makes 5 Persians for 1 Greek.
>>
>>33695285
>The Spartans had other Greeks with them
Yeah, about 7000 other Greeks with them. That's a lot more than 300.

>>33695295
How did you go to Japan? I'd like to go myself if I could afford it. Airfare is very expensive.
>>
>>33695311
That tends to happen when your enemy has artillery and you have swords.
>>
>>33695321
I lived in Osaka for just over a year on a student visa and studied at a language school, Great place good people, good food and lots of alive history and culture. Do it! best time of my life
>>
>>33695321
Yeah that's why I said other Greeks were there. Who fucking cares about 300. Did you learn history from a damn movie starring Gerard Butler?
>>
>>33695325
Like polish Horsemen charging into german Panzer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_at_Krojanty
>>
File: IMG_3899.jpg (153KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3899.jpg
153KB, 1024x768px
There is a knight who held a bridge by himself against an entire army
>>
>>33695344
the origin of pollack jocks. before that the jokes were about the bohunks [bohemians]
>>
File: Boshin War.jpg (68KB, 564x413px) Image search: [Google]
Boshin War.jpg
68KB, 564x413px
19th century Japan seems so interesting : the contrasts between the old and the modern way of fighting, the desperate last stand of chivalry versus industrial efficiency, swordsmen against riflemen, nobles against soldiers... Now I understand why this era appeals to people.
>>
I would recommend everyone in this thread to watch "Silence" by Martin Scorsese.

Great movie and very related to the topic.
>>
>>33695321
You mean the 7000 greeks that retreated, leaving the 300 spartans to defend the pass, and kill tons of persians
>>
>>33695344
have you read the article that you posted?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170419-083935.png (129KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170419-083935.png
129KB, 1080x1920px
>>33695272
>30

You tried.
>>
>>33695321
The entire reason Thermopylae is legendary is because the Spartans acted in such a small number and stayed on the battlefield long enough for the Athenians to evacuate, not because they were totally impenetrable and routed the Persians you mong. Yes they were working alongside a standing Athenian army, but for them to join a fight they had no dog in despite being so completely outnumbered and still fight to the last man is incredible.
Stop learning your history from comic books
>>
>rubbity-rub
>>
>>33695756
The Thesspians also stayed to fight.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
Greatest single group of warriors to ever live based on k/d ratio
>>
>>33695272
>I hate to sound like a weeaboo, but the Spartans were not a real warrior culture.

They were, but pure warrior cultures are shit.
>>
>>33695272
the samurai butt fucked little boys. one of the responsibilities of being a squire to a samurai was offering up their boi pussy when away from women for long stretches of time. read the hagakure sometime.
>>
>>33695272
you can just talk about how you like Japanese history, you don't have to frame it as a shit flinging contest.
>>
>>33695272
>Weeb mass suicide by cop is now a "battle"
>>
>>33695272
>muh warrior culture
fuck off weeb the japs stayed in the literal stone age until the year 1000 then spent the next 800 years doing nothing but killing each other. Never had a real war or conquest until white men came and showed them guns and how to fight, then they went collectively a little insane and had to be put down like a rabid dog with 2 nukes and now they're so emasculated their youth literally do not want to fuck each other.
>>
>>33698460
Germs did most of the killing for them. Still impressive to take out the Aztecs and the Incas. They're the conquering, pillaging, raping soldiers most of /k/ secretly wants to be. Fighting brown people and getting rich.
>>
>>33695311
>,
Eurofag get out
>>
File: IMG_1367.jpg (34KB, 176x176px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1367.jpg
34KB, 176x176px
>>33695272
>>
>>33698529
The hagakure is like full romanticism though. They didn't had large battles since 4-5 generations when it was written. It's almost on the same level as victorians talking about chivalry.
>>
>spartans were not a warrior culture

they were literally the epitome of a warrior culture.
young boys were trained from childhood for war. those who had defects like shit eyesight were killed. they trained multiple times a day on strength and fighting.
where do you think the word spartan comes from?
>>
>>33698089
Don't forget the thespians. Though in truth I genuinely believe the real lufe 300 and especially the real naval battle in the sequel were actuslky much more unbelievable in real life, especially when you realize these were flesh and blood people not oiled up superheroes
>>
>>33695272
>It was the Samurai rebellion where 300 men fought against a much larger force.

Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>33695350
there was a nordic fighter who is reputed to have done that at stamford bridge but he was not a knight. Source or fuck off.
>>
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Spartan Army, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Persian forces, and I have over 300 confirmed spear headshots. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the spear thrower in the entire Spartan Forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this sector, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over this weird moving image box that i don't understand because i'm from a different time? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Athenian spies across greece and your location is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, grasseater. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Sparta and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass out of this continent, you shithawk. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your jaw. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price. I will rain steel all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead.
>>
File: 51kgNKhgusL.jpg (37KB, 300x430px) Image search: [Google]
51kgNKhgusL.jpg
37KB, 300x430px
>>33699034
10/10.
>>
>>33699023
The knight I'm referring to is French
>>
File: IMG_4178.jpg (87KB, 640x442px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4178.jpg
87KB, 640x442px
>>33699023
Found it
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Garigliano_(1503)#
>>
>>33699034
No u too busy writing u autistic tard
>>
>>33698860
and? it outlines many examples of butt fucking lil bois
>>
File: 1491796668895.jpg (10KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
1491796668895.jpg
10KB, 276x183px
>>33695956
The Imperials had guns and artillery. No shit the samurai hardly killed anyone. Did you even think for a second?
>>
>>33695609
It wasn't exactly about the way of fighting, it was mostly about the bakufu (the military government of the shogun) crumbling due to the broken isolation, foreign meddling and a number of bad political mistakes on it's part. At which point a lot of the regional nobles and governments with old grievances against the bakufu seized their chance to overthrow it and make a grab for power themselves.

Everyone was embracing modern arms in that conflict and got as much of them as they feasibly could. The last samurai rebellion ending at Shiroyama had many of the samurai rebels, including their commander, wearing western-style uniforms and freely using imported firearms.
>>
>>33695295
>there share
[Location] share.
Opinion discarded
>>
>>33695756
You mean the spartens and thespians who died after only one day after the other Greeks left?
>>
>>33698940
It really comes down to tactics. Putting a small shield formation with spears into a gap that only a handful of men can move in at a time, with rear troops using their extra reach to assist the forward troops is really fucking sound.
That and the Persians being dumb/arrogant enough to keep fucking running into the killbox. I think, historically, not enough emphasis is placed on how fucking stupid and inexperienced uneducated conscript armies can be.
>>
>>33699678
>yeah the samurai got completely slaughtered and gained nothing
>durr that's the entire point though don't you get it!!?
You're retarded. Running headlong into a suicidal fight and accomplishing nothing does not get you bonus points
>>
The Japanese for centuries only fought themselves, apart from a few raids from what is now Korea and china. Their tactics revolved around a battle system that had little outside interference and became endemic. To say that Japanese of the 15th century(Sengoku Period) could compete with an organized phalanx of the Greeks or even the Romans which occured over 1500 years before is speculative at best.
>>
>>33698108
WE'RE GONNA HAVE TO SLAP
>>
>>33695350
Horatius held a bridge on his own as well
the Roman Republic was the real Warrior society
>>
Why fight a superior force and lose, when you can win?
>>
>>33698702
>Germs did most of the killing for them

Not at any of the major battles they had early on with like 1300 Conquistadors+Native back up inflicting like 400,000 casualties.
>>
>>33700033
The sengoku armies were pretty similar to what you had else where with mass porduced weapons and armor, pike formations protecting bowmen and guns, and large fortifications.

Its hardly speculative that they would beat Greeks and Romans
>>
File: Coat_of_mail_of_Kondo_Isami.jpg (244KB, 1055x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Coat_of_mail_of_Kondo_Isami.jpg
244KB, 1055x1672px
>>33695609
Especially in the early days there were a lot of street fighting with swords. While there were some duels and farmer rebellions before it was the first large scale chance for people to use weapons in generations.

Pick related this armor was used by Kondo Isami the leader of the shinsengumi, a military police unit sent by the shogunate to maintain control of Kyoto. According to his mistress he had over fifty kills to his name.

The men of the shinsengumi came from many styles of marital arts, and the unit trained in a combined curriculum of swordsmanship, spearmanship, jujutsu, tactics and eventually western firearms. They participated in several battles up until the end of the conflict and only two of the executive officers survived the war
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.