[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How effective would old fashioned cannons be in modern guerrilla

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: Cannon_Fire.jpg (425KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
Cannon_Fire.jpg
425KB, 1440x960px
How effective would old fashioned cannons be in modern guerrilla warfare for a militia/insurgency?
I would think that a row of cannons aimed at a base or armored vehicle would destroy it, or you could devestate a building or base with a load of cannons
Also small arms could protect the cannoneers while they reload
And if you had a problem with spreading armaments around this may be the solution
>>
>>33691857
It would be a neat distraction. Get the guy you don't like to fire it and make the armored column stop and engage the position. While they're all focused on it pop up from the other side and blast their asses. Although I'd like to see what a piece of artillery would do to a Bradley or something. Time to call up Mythbusters. They keep going bigger until they flip the bitch.
>>
>>33691857
You'd be better off with a mortar, or at least using it like a mortar. If mobility isn't a concern of yours they could be an easy enough way to lob heavy shit onto a fortified position from out of their line of fire.
>>
Yeah, you could spend a shit load of time casting cannons amd making powder and shot for them all, and training people how to use them

Or you could spend an hour making a ghetto, one time use mortar out of shit you found that is probably better, cheaper, and safer
>>
>>33691857
It wouldn't do anything lighter and more modern weapons like efp ieds, mortars or rockets wouldn't do better. And without robbing a museum first.
>>
>>33692001
It's just a crazy what if situation
>>
>>33691857

If it were up to me... We shall stick five cannons onto that Toyota truck! 2 on the left and right side, one to the rear! Load canister or HE filler if that's available! Do cannon drivebys like a boss into CQC hostile territory. Yeah I know they wouldn't be that effective, but whatever.
>>
>>33691857

Believe it or not, ancient coastal defenses are still useful as a deterrent against modern ships because modern ships have 0 protection in the case they were to try and get into the littoral zone, hence why for beach landings the protocol is to saturate the beach with missile fire, even if the only thing that's defending is a couple decrepit 75s from WWI. A few computerized turrets could potentially force any attacking navy to waste expensive missiles just to clear, though in the case of the US I doubt that it'll do more than slightly irk them.
>>
>>33691857
>How effective would old fashioned cannons be in modern guerrilla warfare for a militia/insurgency?
>>
>>33691857
might be devastating as an IED but as artillery you would probably be taken out long before anything got within range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQkt0vSd28I
>>
>>33692385
Arabs are IRL orcs
>>
File: literally orks.jpg (45KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
literally orks.jpg
45KB, 720x480px
>>33692860
>>
>>33692941
looks like a prop for a shitty highschool play
>>
>>33692385
its an old artillery cannon from like either ww1 or slightly before, it looks older than it really is.
>>
>>33693212
>ww1
might as well be a 100 year old POS from a museum.
oh wait it is
>>
>>33692941

So is the black label on that thing Arabic for ACME?
>>
>>33693212

>>WW1 was over 100 years ago
>>
File: Moorpark '17.jpg (461KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Moorpark '17.jpg
461KB, 2048x1536px
>>33691857

Civil War artillery reenactor here.

Napoleonic guns are a bitch to operate.

They require a crew of five (at minimum), can't be transported very easily, fire at low velocity (making armor penetration difficult even if you managed to make special AT rounds for them), require cleaning after every firing (a process that can take up to two minutes), and are prone to misfires even in ideal circumstances.

pic related, the gun being inspected in the picture misfired four times in a 60 minute battle where they were only supposed to be firing 10-15 rounds
>>
>>33694255
>Pipe, filled with powder and ball
How the fuck you managed it to misfire that much?
>>
>>33692297
Which decade are you referring to? No one is going to be saturating anything with rockets in the days of accurate missiles.
Anyway, no one is defending beaches with WWI guns anymore dingus.
>>33692385
>Old fashioned
>Has a recoil mechanism
It's definitely more advanced than the cannons OP is in about.
>>
>>33693247
A WWI artillery piece is only a few bits of recoil technology and some pneumatic tyres away from a WWII artillery piece.
>>
>>33694370
>Light powder charge to set off main charge
>Wumph
>Nothing happens
There, easy.
>>
>>33693249
Aracme
>>
File: orks.jpg (261KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
orks.jpg
261KB, 1600x1200px
>>33692385
>syrian looted gun on a looted vehicle
why am I not surprised
>>
>>33694411
Recoil mechanism seems to be improvised. The mounting beneath the cannon looks like one would see on a naval warship or a fortress.
>>
File: DRUS04-28-10-2.jpg (65KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
DRUS04-28-10-2.jpg
65KB, 400x301px
>>33692941
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.