[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my bro is giving me his 10/22 lr, apparently with the metal trigger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

File: ruger-1022.jpg (69KB, 627x294px) Image search: [Google]
ruger-1022.jpg
69KB, 627x294px
my bro is giving me his 10/22 lr, apparently with the metal trigger end which is rarer or something, anyways this will be my first gun. I already have in mind a magpull stock and a bull barrel, looking to go cheapest possible route with some quality to it..

also im starting to stock up on 22lr rounds, have cci copper stocked up and want to get more, any suggestions on which type of ammo to go with? also what does /k/ think about people stockpiling on 22lr ammo or any ammo?

it just seems like an easy investment, and just nice to have around. Im looking to have fun though, with the possibility of being a home defense tool, god forbid. It is lethal right? remember never fired a gun.

never was into guns much, but I guess this is better than having nothing and I like the 10/22 upgrades. bro told me you can make these like 900 dollar guns. cant wait.

question. where can I go in California or any other place where I can camp, make bbq and just shoot targets?

thanks anons
>>
First, why the fuck are you getting CCI Copper?
Get CCI standard velocity, seriously.
Second, it is lethal, but not great for home defense.
Third, Californians are not liked here, either move or get off.
>>
File: IMG_5064.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5064.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I have a Magpul X-22 Hunter stock. I like it a lot and just put a Green Mountain bull barrel on the other day. I also have a BX trigger which is also pretty good. As far as ammo I would just get a few boxes of different brands and see what works best. Mine shoots real good with CCI but hates Remington Thunderbolts.

The guns are so easy to work too.
>>
>>33690709
>Third, Californians are not liked here, either move or get off.

You think I don't know this by now? I'm not your average Californian, I get it we are doomed, but it's not my fault, I tried more than your average Californian that's for sure.

thanks anyways.

>why cci copper?
I always thought cci copper was their new best fast ammo, ill look at the standard velocity.
>>
>>33690756
Yes, CCI Copper is fast, because copper is lighter than lead. CCI copper is only made because some places ban lead ammo because it is an environmental hazard.

CCI copper is less accurate, and more expensive for absolutely no reason.

Lil' shit.
>>
>>33690589
For magazines I will suggest
>Ruger BX25
>Volquartsen
>Butler Creek Steel Lips

For ammo I will suggest CCI Stingers

As for home defense, it can be done, 10 to 25 rounds of .22 Long Rifle from a rifle length barrel is not going to be nice, like being stabbed with a long screwdriver that many times, it could stop a home intruder in a pinch.

.22LR is a bit dirty to shoot so make sure to clean it after every range trip.

You're certainly not going to be with an ideal HD gun though, the best HD rifle is an AR15 with electronic hearing protection on your head. But if you don't want to spend that kind of money, there are some pretty good shotguns, a Mossberg 500 is affordable, if that's too expensive, the Savage Stevens 320 is a very decent gun for it's low price.

Another option is a pistol. Old Hungarian FEG P9R pistols are pretty alright for their price, often can be found for less than $300

If you can't afford a new gun now, that's not the world (again, a 10/22 can cut it an emergency) but do consider it for the future, you can radically improve your odds.

Also being new, please observe the Four Rules, and remember hearing protection, .22LR might not seem too loud at first, but you typically shoot a lot of it and that's how sneaks up on you, gradually. So plug your ears when shooting, tinnitus is not nice.
>>
File: BX25 mag.webm (3MB, 740x416px) Image search: [Google]
BX25 mag.webm
3MB, 740x416px
>>33691104
>Ruger BX25
Mine sucked and wouldn't feed. To much slop in it.
>>
File: P9R Hungry FEGgot.jpg (516KB, 2168x1608px) Image search: [Google]
P9R Hungry FEGgot.jpg
516KB, 2168x1608px
>>33691104
The P9R in question, they really are quite nice for being so cheap.
Especially given that they hold 14rds, not shabby for sub$300.

>>33691151
I saw your thread, but most people generally have quite good experiences with them.

Glocks are alright guns but I can't go around saying they're shit because they once put the wrong recoil spring in anon's gun.
Lemons just happen.
>>
>>33691228
>I saw your thread, but most people generally have quite good experiences with them.
Well mine sucked. The only thing good about it is that it's built like a tank. I think I'm going to melt it down and make it into a Damaskus Kukri
>>
>>33690589
Don't bubba your 10/22. It's fine as-is. Get a nice sling, a bore snake, and a couple extra magazines for it and you're all set. If you want to drop some money on anything for it, get a Nikon P-rimfire scope to practice with - you can find them just over a hundred bucks.

As for ammo, I use Federal Automatch for bulk plinking. Anything CCI makes is good for "Sunday best". The coppers are fine - don't let a bunch of spergs tell you otherwise. Also don't let spergs tell you bullshit stories about how .22lr isn't adequate for home defense because it will bounce off a denim jacket. People tell some wild-ass stories here.

The BX-25 is illegal in California, as is any magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds. Because of that, by no means should you ever go to Gun Garage on Dean Martin Drive during your next trip to Vegas, look for the BX-25 magazines they have there (they'll be behind the counter to the right of the register), buy one or two for cash (if they ask you for your name for the receipt, just say you'd rather not tell them - they'll take no for an answer), put them in your bag, and drive them back into California with you.

There's some BLM land around the state where you can go camp and shoot. Just Google search it.

The 10/22 is a really nice gun, and a great way to get started in shooting. Congratulations and welcome to the world of yesguns!
>>
>>33693382

This guy gets it
>>
iv killed more things with this rifle than most Iraqi war vets have in their lives
>>
>>33696047
Shit, I'd hope you could do that in one rabbit hunting trip.
>>
>>33693382
What an informative post
>>
>>33691104
Getting shot at home defense ranges with stingers is a lot more dangerous than getting stabbed with a screwdriver, don't spout shit.

Rimfire is inherently unreliable due to the primer system and thus the wrong choice for self-defense but this ".22lr ticklish" meme needs to die.
>>
>>33696047

My pellet gun has killed more than that.

Havnt seen a pigeon in years over my house, kek.
>>
>>33696475
At what point did I suggest being stabbed with a (long) screwdriver 25 times is "ticklish" ?

That'd be pretty fucking serious.
Maybe I'm underselling it still, but my point was that even if your perception would be that .22LR is weak (and it really isn't from a rifle barrel), 25 of them rapidly can do a passable job.
>>
>>33696534
Bit of miscommunication then. I assumed you had personal experience in getting stabbed with a screwdriver. It's nasty, deflects off bones and tough tissue, goes easy into cavities. A .22lr will break through all those so I didn't think it's a fair comparison. 25 stingers from a 18.5" barrel is very capable and extremely dangerous to the perp, I fully agree.
>>
File: IMG_9509.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9509.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>33690589
Congrats, 10/22's are great guns. Just got one myself recently as all my friends had one and I didn't.

CCI minimag is all you will feed that ruger if you actually care about it. All my 22's fucking hate everything else, including the 10/22.

You should git Gud b4 you go and dump a bunch of money into it, but that's just my opinion.

As far as shooting areas, check out BLM (not black lives matter, kys) maps and it will show you what areas are open ranges.

760 masterrace
>>
File: IMG_9279.jpg (813KB, 3833x1291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9279.jpg
813KB, 3833x1291px
>>33696630
>>33690589
Also, 10/22 is not the best choice for HD. 22lr is not enough. Being in a cuck state youre best off betting a 12ga shotgun and / or glock brand glock 9mm to defend your home with.
>>
>>33696648
>22lr is not enough
If it was centerfire then I would say that the cartridge would pass the bare minimum assuming you had a semi-automatic rifle.
>>
>>33690756
Standards velocity is subsonic bruh, good quality stuff though
>>
>>33696798
Well reliability aside, the only thing I'm defending myself from with 22lr is squirrels and maybe medium sized cats.

Regardless I think it's an awful HD cartridge

Also Williams fire sight fiber optic irons are fucking nice
>>
>>33696630
>760 masterrace
Like hi-desert or San Diego? 760 here too.
>>
File: IMG_9399.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9399.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33696835
High Desert bby. Are you OP?
>>
>>33696857
No, just another 10/22 anon from Ca.
>>
>>33690744
>thunderbolts

thats because rem thunderbolts are fucking garbage.
>>
>>33696904
RIP all of us

I hate hodge road
>>
>>33691104
the butler creek hotlips are good too.

and of course any factory mags
>>
>>33690589
Bull barrel = yes
Volquartsen edge extractor ~$30
Auto bolt release (you can do this with a file)
Extended mag release ~$30

On ammo:
CCI Standard velocity
Federal bulk anything
ratshot

good luck
>>
>>33696941
I don't mind it. there are worse places, but no fees and close is nice.
>>
File: ZvHevkKh.jpg (126KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ZvHevkKh.jpg
126KB, 768x1024px
>>33691104
Steel Lips are garb. BXs are decent but still fail too much, they get rimlock or some shit with CCI minimags.

The best extendo-clips for the 10/22 are Tac. Incs because you can adjust the feed angle on 'em.

The 10 round rotaries beat any 25 rounder though, I'd stock up on those over anything else.
>>
>>33691151
Me too. Returned it and bought 10rnd rotary mags instead. Very cheap on ebay
>>
File: IMG_2035.jpg (88KB, 1000x396px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2035.jpg
88KB, 1000x396px
>>33696967
Yeah, but the local beaners and their $400 polymer lower AR15's and total lack of range safety make it not worth it.
Or the people who shoot 2 lbs of tannerite from 25 feet away, etc etc.

I go inna desert as far away as I can to be left alone.
>>
>>33693382
this is the kind of shit we need more of around these parts
>>
File: IMG_3157.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3157.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>33690744
Seconding Magpul stock. I like mine.
>>
>>33693382
Solid advice OP should listen to.
>>
Maybe a heavy barrel and a rail if it doesn't have one. Other than that let 'er be imo. Federal bulk ammo feeds well enough, wouldn't trust my life to it though. Make sure you get mags with metal feed lips.
>>
>>33690589
There's griswold hills and Williams hill recreation area. Just look for local blm land that will allow you to shoot.
>>
>>33696985
I understand completely. I end up going with family most the time, so about 6-10 of us.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.