[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do Mini 14s handle steel case? I've got a buddy wanting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (40KB, 825x160px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 825x160px
How do Mini 14s handle steel case? I've got a buddy wanting a Mini 14 and I think it'll be cool to have one "in the family" so to speak, but I'm not sure how they handle steel. If they have problems with it I want to let him know he'll have to stick with brass and therefor spend more on ammo.
>>
They'll eat anything, with gusto
>>
>>33686721
Tell him to stick with factory magazines only (with ruger headstamp) and he'll be fine

If he goes off and buys some shitty promags he'll have a bad time
>>
Newer 14's and 30's should eat anything.
>>
>>33686799
>have brother with mini14
>all his expensive mags suck
>cheap plastic ones work the best
Idk man I think it kind of depends on the gun, I've heard both stories of expensive mags only working and cheap mags only working well. Might just have to figure it out

I have also heard that the mini30s anyways, hate steel case, like they were designed to work with brass case x39, but shit out with steel surplus... who the fuck buys a x39 rifle without the intentions of shooting cheap steel?
>>
>>33688262
i shoot steel out of my 583 mini 30.

i got it for the sole purpose of shooting steel and fucking off with it.

i read that they can shoot steel and they can't. lot's of people say they've shot thousands of steel casings with 0 problems, then there are the people who upgrade the spring and shoot 10 through it and break the pin.

i don't see how current steel ammo is any different from brass primer wise, and it hasn't affected mine at all.

i think it's just fuddlore from the olden days of the older mini's.
>>
>>33688440
>i think it's just fuddlore from the olden days of the older mini's

Here's some of my favorites

>the Mini-30 actually has a .308 bore, so it can't shoot 7.62x39mm accurately
>the Mini-14 has accuracy problems
>Ruger still faffs about with Bill's AWB and magcap faggotry

Things I still see tards saying.
>>
>>33689030
the older barrels (really old) were bored in .308, but in '92, i think they were updated to the .311 barrel.

honestly it's a shitshow trying to find out any useful info on that rifle because of the fudds, then people take that to heart and just repeat the cycle.

i have the 30. it eats anything and it has great accuracy for what it is. i think that's what people fuck up, thinking they are going to be able to use it as a sniper rifle and pick things off 1000 yds out.
>>
>>33689242
>the older barrels (really old) were bored in .308, but in '92, i think they were updated to the .311 barrel.
I have never found any solid evidence for this.
>>
kinda related
califag here
mini 30 or unconverted saiga?
if both are pretty much the same price after all fees/shipping etc etc
>>
>>33690026
forgot to add, i have kydexed guns but i want a x39 non pistol grip rifle
>>
>>33688440
The most work I've ever heard of a mini needing to shoot steel has been flitz and a buffing wheel to the breechface
>>
>>33689859
If I can find the link there was a guy that used to work for ruger that said the .308 bore thing was bullshit
>>
File: Mini30 Folder.jpg (121KB, 800x316px) Image search: [Google]
Mini30 Folder.jpg
121KB, 800x316px
>>33690026
The SKS will be far cheaper, and given it's fixed mag, it's basically AWB proof, even if they get a hair up their ass and decide detachable mags are verboten in any context, but it won't be as accurate or as nice (nor will be there be as good options for mounting optics)

It has the advantage of being simple as shit, with the action being (mostly) covered when closed, so in the case of mud, it has sort of a better chance of not gumming up than the typical M1 Garand style of action, but if we're gonna be real, it's not terribly common for soldiers to find themselves with their guns caked in mud, and it really is pretty unusual in civilian life in North America.
This is only a point if you think there's a high chance you'll be crawling with your gun through gunky mud (but even then, keeping it away from the action can be avoided).

The Mini-30 will have a nicer action more suited for accuracy (rotating bolt is just more inline and locks up much more consistently), it comes with scope rings (I'm pretty sure), and the magazines are easily detachable. You're limited to 10rds in your state, BUT, there are gadgets out there which allow two magazines to be attached solidly to each other at the ass, so you can have a 10rd mag attached to a 10rd mag for a fast reload, with 1 in the chamber, which isn't shabby (the Canadians do this sometimes). And if the laws ever change, you could put a folding stock on the thing like pic related, if you ever want to A-Team it up a little.

It comes down to; which do you think you would enjoy more, and do you feel like spending more money on the Mini-30? They both can about do a basic enough rifle job.
>>
Bamping for interest. Am Californian; planning on buying a mini 14 in the next month or two.

>>33690379
I want an SKS but
> it's fixed mag
ew.
>>
>>33690726
There's some Chinese commercially made and milsurp SKS rifles which are made to take AK mags, but they command a premium.

There's also ways to convert a regular one to take AK mags, but it's not as easy as 1 2 3.

You're better off buying a rifle that already takes detachable mags.
>>
>>33690174
this is all i've been able to find

http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/Ruger-Mini-30-bore-specs/detail.htm?lid=15904
>>
>>33692412
God I love brownells
>>
>>33692471
I live like 40 mins from them...it's amazing...like Disneyland for k...IV8888 has a video tour on YouTube
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.