[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the NRA seem to recieve so much flak in the gun community?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_1806.jpg (81KB, 712x716px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1806.jpg
81KB, 712x716px
Why does the NRA seem to recieve so much flak in the gun community? I'd get it if it was your typical soccer mom, but I've had gun owners tell me they hate the NRA and yet they couldn't really give me a certain reason beyond a vague "They're too extreme". I know they supported gun control measures in the past but does anybody know why they would be disparaged nowadays?

pic unrelated
>>
>>33682785
I don't like them because of the shit they send me.

>"HERE ARE THE TOP 10 GUNS HILLARY IS GOING TO BAN! BUY THEM NOW!!!1111!1!!!"

They can fuck themselves endlessly for shit like that. All I wanted was some insurance.
>>
File: 1434658124729.jpg (46KB, 277x313px) Image search: [Google]
1434658124729.jpg
46KB, 277x313px
>>33682785
>Why does the NRA seem to recieve so much flak in the gun community?

Because they act like politicians when it comes to our rights and never get anything done
>>
I can't speak for anyone else on /k/, but I'm not a big fan of the NRA these days because they seem less interested in firearms safety and marksmanship than they do in giving Wayne LaPierre a platform from which to run his stupid fucking mouth and make us all look bad.
>>
>>33682785
jewish propaganda
>>
>>33682785
Because they're lobbyists that are part of the problem.

>"We fight for the right for you to own a gun! Now pay us a yearly subscription to make sure your voices and rights are heard... We support our troops and America, here, have a knife made in China that has our logo on it!"
>>
>>33682823
Oh so you have a problem with a firearm freedom advocacy organization.

Then what the fuck are you doing here?
>>
>>33682846
Jewish propaganda, they knock the system when it works in our favor.

Lobbyists aren't going anywhere, and we're going to use it to win.

Get fucked commies.
>>
>>33682823
I think a lot of the current hostility comes from newer/younger gun owners who remember his "videogames caused sandy hook" retardation.
>>
File: 1490484036350.jpg (75KB, 600x737px) Image search: [Google]
1490484036350.jpg
75KB, 600x737px
>>33682785
>>
>>33682853
>Lobbyists aren't going anywhere, and we're going to use it to win

Hows that been goin for ya
>>
File: IMG_3388.jpg (95KB, 625x812px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3388.jpg
95KB, 625x812px
>>33682814
We posting Ornstein now?
>>
>>33682847
>Hue Hughe's Amendment, supported that.
>Puts HPA on board but decides to not further any pressure on Congress or House to vote for it.

Sure are good goys who aren't hebrew moneygrabbing those support funds.
>>
>>33682865
>Hows that been goin for ya

Pretty good. I'm not responsible for the fuckups I wasn't even alive to see.
>>
File: IMG_1205.jpg (52KB, 600x791px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1205.jpg
52KB, 600x791px
>>33682785
I like that they lobby the fuck out of congress, hate that they call me everyday with their stupid fucking hillbilly soccermoms trying to make me do some dumbass survey
>>
>>33682785
Wayne LaPierre is a fucking nutjob and makes your average gun owner seem like a crank as well.

However, they did send me a nice hat in the mail once.
>>
>>33682890
Wayne La Pierre is representative of the average gun owner's views on firearm freedom.
>>
File: da8.jpg (501KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
da8.jpg
501KB, 1920x1080px
>>33682872
yup
>>
>>33682876
Pretty much something like this.
>>
Soccer moms hate them because for decades they're the only thing that's stopped the government from taking all our guns for the sake of the children.

/K/ hates them because /k/ is full of spergs who think that anyone who's the tiniest bit not-quite-as-strident as they are is a sellout, and of naive manchildren who think they can keep our rights by shitposting on image boards for free and thus don't understand why a big lobbying group that wants to get things done in a system that runs on the basis of who's shoveling the most campaign contributions at politicians should need to ask for money in order to keep us from ending up like Britain where it's getting hard even to buy a pocket knife, much less a gun. This is a parallel to /pol/'s belief that the last Presidential election went the way it did not due to the energy, effort, and deep pockets of a charismatic billionaire who'd spent years learning how to work the media, but because they spent their free time posting pictures of cartoon frogs on the internet. In other words, a complete lack of realism, perspective, and common sense.
>>
the NRA is responsible for all gun control today
>>
>>33682932
see >>33682934 for the real answer.
>>
>>33682934
>>33682936
So you idiots think we would get no gun control if the NRA didn't exist? Whatever you're drinking, order me a case.
>>
File: 1355188653513.jpg (63KB, 708x536px) Image search: [Google]
1355188653513.jpg
63KB, 708x536px
>>33682932
my bootlicker alarm just exploded,
>>
The NRA isn't an American gun owners advocacy group, it's an American gun manufacturer advocacy group. While some of their actions help gun owners, their main goal is to enrich manufacturers.
>>
File: 1490938575639.jpg (37KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1490938575639.jpg
37KB, 630x630px
>>33682951
>>
>>33682945
see>>33682947 as well

also >>33682951
>>
>>33682785
Because the gun community is filled with retards who willingly bite the hand that feeds them because it's too mainstream.
>>
Oh, and while we're on the subject of money, there's the weirdly (((tightfisted))) attitude toward it that much of /k/ has. The same impulse that leads them to believe that the universe entitles them to a reality in which Mosin-Nagants cost $60 forever also leads them to believe that anyone who asks them to kick in a few bucks towards keeping our gun rights intact is just a greedy fucker who's out to screw them, because the universe entitles them to a reality in which you get what you want out of the political system without having to spread any money around in Washington. In both cases, this has nothing to do with reality - economic, political, or otherwise.

In thread after thread, autistic poorfags on this board show that they don't understand money beyond the fact that they don't want to spend a dime more than they need to in order to buy a cheap AR, a Glock, and an ammo stash. They have no concept of the idea that not everyone is a broke NEET, that some people like spending more to get something nicer or more aesthetic, that some things require you to put a little extra cash into them, that the world works on money, or that supply and demand exist.
>>
>>33682951
>bawwww, the foundation that managed to get the AWB to have a sunset clause and fought tooth and nail against it even though the affected guns weren't a tenth as popular then as they are now ONLY cares about gun manufacturers
You young dumbfucks who who weren't even born when the AWB was enacted are the single greatest threat to our rights outside of the fucking DNC.
>>
>>33682996
>/k/ is full of poor-fags who don't into money and don't understand spending/saving.

I'd wager that 90% of /k/ is either two guns or one gun.
>>
>>33683011
You say that like I'm against the NRA. I'm not. I just wish that the most powerful gun lobby in the country has different priorities.

Also, do you unironically think that companies didn't expect the awb to have a large effect on future business? They knew they were fighting for the future of the business.
>>
>>33683011
You're the retards who let it happen like a bunch of complacent sheep in the first place.
You're also acting like the NRA is the only gun group in town.
>>
>>33683025
> just wish that the most powerful gun lobby in the country has different priorities.
I just gave you a huge example of them going against the corporate grain and standing up for rights. Do you have any fucking clue what the NRA-ILA is, and what it does?
> do you unironically think that companies didn't expect the awb to have a large effect on future business?
They didn't have a cocksucking clue about AKs and ARs and the like being anywhere near as profitable as they are in the here and now. There was nothing, at all, to indicate they would become the most popular shit since sex. If you had been around then, you'd have known this.
>>33683037
That does absolutely nothing to address my points, so why don't you go and kill yourself.
>>
>>33683065
>NRA-ILA
kinda scary it took nearly an hour for someone to bring this up. kiddies don't know about muh legal representation and insurance.
>>
>>33683018
>I'd wager that 90% of /k/ is either two guns or one gun.
Yup. Tweens who scraped together a few hundred bucks a little at a time and spent it buying whatever bargain bin AR parts they could find discounted on the internet. Listen, I've been there and done the "young and poor" thing myself, so I'm not saying that's bad in and of itself, but I never acted like anybody who spent a dollar more than I did to buy something a little nicer that I could afford was an idiot for doing it.
>>
>>33682785
anti gun concern troll shilling and idiots who fall for it, like most of this thread
>>
>people took the bait
Wew
>>
>>33683065
>Do you have any fucking clue what the only branch of the NRA that is relevant to this thread is?
This whole thread is about their actions as lobbyists, are you dense?

As for your second point, I ask again, do you really unironically believe that? We're not talking about your lgs that happens to have an actual gunsmith or two working for them here. We're talking about big ass companies that spend millions of dollars on market research and advertisement. If limiting everyone to fud guns had been the most profitable path forward, they would have made it so.
>>
>>33683075
I agree. I don't shill people on decisions unless it's a real dumb one, like buying a PSA built AR-15 for $700+ on Armslist. People got the money, they decide to use it on what they want.
>>
File: bk2reddit.png (41KB, 302x404px) Image search: [Google]
bk2reddit.png
41KB, 302x404px
>>33682801
>>33682814
>>33682823
>>33682846
>>33682865
>>33682884
>>33682890
>>33682934
>>33682951
anti gun shill homos get out, if it wasn't for the NRA liberal fuckwits would have gutted the 2nd decades ago
>>
>>33683115
>the actions of the legal arm of an organization based on promoting and preserving gun rights has absolutely no bearing on this topic of how the NRA doesn't care about promoting and preserving gun rights
Olympian level mental gymnastics right here.

>I ask again, do you really unironically believe that?
Yes you fucking child, because I was shooting gun then while you were just a particularly undesirable bit of goop in your dad left nut. Do you actually think that's how this shit works? Corporations see something exploding into popularity in the future and not immediately trying to get it popular then and there? Are you fucking high? You think they'll just sit on that little forecast like it's an egg, waiting for it to come into fruition?
>>
>>33683115
> If limiting everyone to fud guns had been the most profitable path forward, they would have made it so.
>gun companies made people want to have rifles that cost more to make than the usual shit they'd been selling off in droves since forever
anon, this isn't how business works.
>>
File: IMG_3428.jpg (109KB, 1280x787px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3428.jpg
109KB, 1280x787px
>>33682901
I'd fuck this armor desu
>>
>>33683143
So you're not talking about the ILA at all? You're just name-dropping the first acronym that comes up when you shit NRA into google? As for why the CDF hasn't been brought up or is being argued by literally anyone, it's because you can't say anything bad about it. The CDF is the most beneficial branch of the NRA to your average gun owner. That doesn't change the fact that ensuring a positive legal status for firearms also supports the people trying to sell them.

>ur baby and I'm big man
No one cares about your faggy dick measuring, you're probably 12 or some shit.

>do you actually think that's how this shit works?
Yes, that is how shit works. They do market research, see that people are increasingly becoming interest something, and then spend years marketing to help that growth. Market research and advertisement don't make something out if nothing, they influence preexisting trends.

>>33683151
T. Has literally never spent a single cent of his own
>>
>>33683193
>T.
you can't even get your memefaggotry right, fucking hell
>>
>>33682951
>While some of their actions help gun owners, their main goal is to enrich manufacturers.
This is such a fucking vapid and canned response from concern trolling cunts all over the internet
>"They help gun owners except not and they don't care."
Wew
>>
>>33683234
He's not from here, give him some slack
>>
>>33683037
>You're the retards who let it happen like a bunch of complacent sheep in the first place.

You stupid cunt do you not understand the two biggest differences between then and now?

1. There was no internet as it exists today. The fucking nerdiest of the nerds were using news groups and the vast majority of people had almost no daily interaction with the internet. Which means organization and information sharing outside of a single community was difficult for the vast majority of people in the US. It also meant that if you wanted to get factual information regarding firearms statistics you would have to set aside deliberate time to do research at a public library which required your town to be lucky enough to have one and it have exactly what you were looking for.

2. The popularity of semi auto sporting rifles has inflated almost exponentially since then. Almost everyone was a fudd in 93 and there was a huge push of "tough on crime" due to a sharp increase in firearms homicides (homicides in general happened to peak in 93). So it was easy to tell people who were indifferent at best towards "assault weapons" and who had almost no access to actual data that "assault weapons" should be banned because no one should have one.
>>
>>33683037
If you think the situation today is anywhere close to what it was back then and organizing a grass-roots campaign to fight the 1994 ban would have been just as easy as it would have been today with the exploded scary salt weapon market, higher than ever gun ownership rate, and social media, you're pretty much admitting to being an inbred. Just saying.
>>
>>33683274
He was probably born in 1999 so he's never lived in a world without the internet.
>>
>>33682855
nah, some people like to keep their powerlevels on the low, and NRA just packs your mailbox full of brightly colored gun mail.

Not to mention NRA needs to actually become this nightmare beast all these anti-gun libs scream about, maybe we'd get more stuff accomplished.
>>
>>33683310
I usually place people who do the whole NRA concern trolling song and dance routine in that age group
>>
>>33683193
>They do market research
Buddy market research back then would have told them what everyone else was seeing back in those days; people who owned "military style rifles" were in a clear minority that was rather insular and on the fringes of the gun community. It's hard to believe now, but something like all of these $499 ARs that actually manage to be decent that are offered from multiple manufacturers was fucking unheard of then. No company had any reason to assume the market would make any significant gains anytime soon, and it didn't until -after- the ban ended in 2004, a decade later.
>>
I respect what the ILA is trying to accomplish but I wish the NRA would stay focused on gun safety and training.
Basically the NRA should be running an Appleseed type program to teach firearm basics at every level.
>>
>>33683361
>and on the fringes of the gun community.

And there had just been Waco and Ruby Ridge. Those events, and news coverage about the Michigan militia movement, informed the vast majority of people back then (including gun owners) about the types of people who owned "assault weapons".

And since everyone got their information from television news (sometimes local papers and national papers of record) there was only one perspective. They couldn't jump on Twitter, Memebook, or YouTube and see actual "assault weapon" owners being normal people.
>>
>>33683251
Pretty much. Let me add:

3. Cuckservative was the norm for the right back then. The 90s right was a movement of aging suburban Boomers who wanted us to all get along as Americans, and the confrontational approach of the alt-right/new right/whatever just didn't exist in those days. Rush Limbaugh was edgy, and Pat Buchanan was beyond the pale. The days of Razorfist rants, memes about Pinochet helicopter rides, and Nathan Damigo punching hairy pussy models in the face on the streets of Berkeley were far away and would have been basically unimaginable. The right just didn't punch as hard then, both literally and figuratively.

4. It's impossible to overemphasize how much of a shock 9/11 was and how much it changed our collective mentality to someone who's not old enough to remember the world before it. The 90s was a ten-year vacation from history that lasted from the breakup of the Soviet Union right up to 9/10/2001. Things seemed stable, the economy was good, people were optimistic, and it was an age when even Francis Fukuyama's utopian predictions seemed plausible. Sure, Waco and Ruby Ridge were bad (Can you even imagine what the reaction to those now would be?), but times were good, peace and prosperity seemed to be everywhere, and few people really paid attention. In times like those, having any military-style weapon seemed unnecessary, and wanting to buy one would seem genuinely strange. 9/11 woke us up out of our long nap; suddenly people remembered that the world is a dangerous place, and suddenly having a gun like that didn't seem excessive or crazy anymore. Years of constant war after that (and remember, Gulf War I lasted two months - we hadn't had an extended war like that since Vietnam) intensified both the mystique of the AR and the realization of how dangerous the world can be.

That's a lot of how we got here, but again, it's something that nobody who really remembers those days would understand.
>>
>>33683413
>That's a lot of how we got here, but again, it's something that nobody who really remembers those days would understand.
"That nobody who doesn't remember those days", I mean.
>>
>>33682785
I begrudgingly give them my money every year. I complain about them pretty often though. I prefer sending my money to Ducks Unlimited and CCA.
>>
People are forgetting to mention the Call of Duty generation has grown up and is earning enough to start buying the cool 'salt weapons they saw in vidya 10 to 8 years ago.
>>
>>33683395
Nigger as good as it is to have basic gun instructional and safety programs available to the masses, it's kind of important to also be a driving force in preserving the Second Amendment. Maybe if we didn't just have AWB 2.0 attempted to be rammed through into law not a half decade ago. Again, just saying.
>>
>>33683404
Mid to late 90s was fucking Land of the Fudds. Holy shit was the
>"I support gun rights and all, BUT-"
mindset the cool thing to have back then, otherwise you apparently support all those blacks and Mexicans on the west coast killing one another over crack and loony white extremists blowing up kindergartens.
>>
>>33683413
This is a good post, anon
>>
>>33682785
The best NRA analogy I've read was from /k/.

The NRA is like a tank, great to have when shit gets heavy, but liable to run over your car at other times.

The NRA are the big guns and sometimes they cause collateral damage.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.