[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is joining the Coast Gaurd /k/ approved? The aesthetic is so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

Is joining the Coast Gaurd /k/ approved? The aesthetic is so damn nice but are there any stereotypes like with the chair force? What is basic like? Any advice?
>>
File: IMG_2610.jpg (276KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2610.jpg
276KB, 1080x1920px
It's ok, sometimes you pee man.
>>
File: kek.png (195KB, 997x652px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
195KB, 997x652px
>>33677516

I looked into their commissioning programs and it's top lel. I'm an army prior and it did nothing for me but I'm not sure if being prior enlisted counts as anything

But good luck becoming an O if you're huwhite, it's quite frankly almost impossible

Here's a pic from one of their commissioning programs

the only other ways are extremely selective to the point where they make it obvious that they're going to select like 2 white people annually

recruiter I talked to was a nog too, then again, all branches are degenerate and pozzed now
>>
In the Guard now. Love it.
>>
File: 1492237521201.jpg (30KB, 636x424px) Image search: [Google]
1492237521201.jpg
30KB, 636x424px
>>
>>33677516
After being in, and seeing all branches in action to some degree...
I decided that the chair force is #1 cozy awesome mode, navy was still pretty laid back and cozy but being on a ship sounds like pure misery, and the coast guard seemed like it's people were relatively happy and laid back. But I knew the least about their operations since there were so few and I didn't work with them directly.
>>
>>33677516
Former Coastiefag reporting in, If you want a lot of responsibility early in your career, spend most of your time performing real world missions, and serve alongside some good motivated people, among other things, than the Coast Guard is for you.
>>
>>33677516
You'll go to Cape May N.J. for basic, fly into Philly, then a bus to Cape May. In the winter its cold, windswept, and miserable, 9 weeks long and I'm pretty sure they still only graduate 1 company per week. There are several active Units/Cutters based there, as well as an Air Station.
>>
>>33677516
Being a VERY small service with high retention rates, they can afford to be more selective about who they let in, so you will be working around higher caliber people right from the start. There are roughly 37,000 active Coasties at any given time, I've also noticed something else from my time in: people love Coasties the same way they love firemen,
>>
>>33677857
They have taken the "Diversity" thing to the extreme.
>>
>>33677516
The Coast Guard Ensign is aesthetic as F**K!!!!
>>
What's the best Coast Guard rating? Any high speed shit?
>>
>>33677833
why are american flags backwards on unis? i understand the stars must always be top left, but not when on soldiers?
>>
File: USCG vs narcos.jpg (54KB, 1359x726px) Image search: [Google]
USCG vs narcos.jpg
54KB, 1359x726px
>>33678593
>Any high speed shit?
REMOVE NARCO
>>
>>33678593
MK or you ain't shit
>>
>>33678610
because this way you're never retreating
>>
>>33677516

Americans have all the fun, Australian Volunteer Coast Guard is all kinda fucked.

Cucked I tell ya
>>
>>33678693
hmm that's pretty comfy actually
>>
>>33678610
it goes back to when the guy at the front of the line carried a pole with the flag on it. so you wear the flag with the stars facing forward because its the way the flag flies when charging into battle. stars toward the enemy. also on his other arm it will look like a normal flag you're used to seeing.
>>
>>33678593
Chose a rating with good promotional opportunities and that you have a serious interest in, some rates take a year or more just to get an 'A' school slot, and promotions are slow. I have been out a long time, but it seems that very little has changed regarding the wait time for school, you will have to sign an enlistment extension to cover the time you waited for school plus the amount of time it took you to finish
>>
>>33677516
I looked into, gonna go forward with it if college and everything else I got going on blows up in my face, its the samllest service and from what ive seen and heard, most people who are coasties are happy being coasties, they do guaranteed districts so you will know whee you are going and you can choose what you want to do. other than that, I think there quality of life is second to the air force but I dont kow anything about it desu
>>
>>33679263
You'll get to serve pretty much anywhere, from towns like St. Ignace, MI in the U.P. to Boston, Alaska, or Guam.
>>
lol coasties

enjoy your service tending buoys.
>>
>>33679263
There are sooo many small boat stations alone, the list would take an hour or more to type up, I went through basic with a guy that got Lake Tahoe, CA, as his first duty station.
>>
>>33679300
The reason I was looking into it was because I didnt want to get stationed outside of CONUS if there is no war
>>
>>33679335
Holy shit, I wanted Lake havasu or the gulf coast, Lake Tahoe would be nice though
>>
>>33679315
Ahh Yes, The Cutter Mesquite, you can dive on the wreck off the Keweenaw Peninsula in Lake Superior.
>>
>>33679351
As I recall, you get more choice as to where you go the longer you've been in.
>>
>>33678610
Represents moving forward
>>
>>33679351
There's plenty of ways to look up where all of the small boat stations are, start with the individual CG Districts and go from there. Also, the 2 biggest rates in the CG are: MK and BM, and I think EM is a close 3rd. MK, EM,and BM can be stationed ANYWHERE in the service, Small Boat Stations, Large Bases, Cutters, pretty much anywhere the CG has a presence.
>>
>>33679430
Some guys "Homestead", that is, they just keep transferring from unit to unit within a Group/Sector. I knew an EM (Electricians Mate) that kept moving between all of the units in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, he had been up there for almost 10 years.
>>
>>33679351
Lots of Gulf Coast units, Had a buddy I served with get stationed at Galveston Island, TX, he loved it so much that he plans to retire there after he gets out.
>>
>>33678669
>MK

Wrench totin, knuckle draggin, grease soaked Machine Killers. Nah.

DC master race reporting in.
>>
Coast Guard is by far the most comfy tier branch. I was navy for 8, and worked with these guys all the time. I got "loaned" out to a CG SH-60 squadron for a few months once because half the maintainers got a Big Chicken Dinner (bad conduct discharge) for spice and bath salts. By far the most chill branch, officers are turbo pricks and you don't have as many chiefs that want to make your life suck because they're going through a divorce. And like someone mentioned it's like being a firefighter, mad pussy and free beers galore. They're are a few places where the locals might not like you too much, but in those cases they're usually just drunken reservation indians. If you want to go CG though you need a high high school GPA and no fuck ups legal wise if you even want to be consider.
>>
Cape Disappointment or GTFO. True badasses.

>I spend August moored in Astoria and those motherfuckers are my only hope when the shit hits the fan.
>>
>>33679589
Only thing DCs do are fix heads, give non rates sign offs, and fight theoretical fires.
>>
>>33679524
try the whitefish at the Lockview restaurant across from the soo locks. its to die for.
>>
>>33677516
Good enough for Chris Costa
>>
The Coast Guard Academy is pretty cool looking, and they get a tallship. I live near and drive by it on the way to work, and sometimes see groups of cadets doing cadet shit.

I have a friend who joined and was overseas in like Bahrain or something for a while. He likes it.

Overall a good gig if you like water shit and don't want to be on patrols in the middle of fuck-all for months on end in some carrier group. Or stuck in some metal tube underwater with a bunch of other dudes, smelling eachothers farts for months.
>>
>>33677516
its a good life decision. Not /k approved. Go infantry, or at least combat arms then you are. Go POG for good life decision for when you get out. You can't have both. Either be a solider or support one and pretend to be one at bars with all the other benefits like GI Bill and shit. If you're anything like me and have rich family. Then you can have both because of college fund on top of GI Bill and not have to worry as much about marketable skills and such.
>>
>>33678636
>ywn do joint operations witth the Mexican Navy to remove narco and fuck up narco submarines
>>
>>33679802
The MLB School is no joke!!
>>
>>33677857
What's hilarious is that so few minorities actual make it to commission even with these benefits.

I'm an E6 in the Coasties, I've met maybe two black officers my whole career. The rest were like 80% white and 20% Asian.

Remember the overwhelming bulk of our officers come from the USCGA which is almost all white.
>>
Posted this in /MEG/, reposting here:

Can I get some info on the Coast Guard ME rating?

What's the training like?

Any chance of going MSRT from this rating?

What's the day-to-day like?

Contract length?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>33677833
nigga is that seattle
>>
>>33680227
When it comes to the whole "War on Drugs" thing, these guys are neck deep in it and have units and assignments that are VERY /k/, it doesn't take a whole lot of searching to find it. Add to that the PSUs, MSSTs, TACLETs, and MSRTs, there are more but I'm not up to date on the newest ones. The whole Coast Guard is "Full of POGs" horseshit is a common statement heard from the other branches because they don't fully understand all of the missions the CG is tasked with.
>>
>>33680713
The only Service Academy that chooses its cadets through a competitive exam, instead of what daddy can do for the Senator or Congressman. I wish all the Service Academies did it this way.
>>
>>33679589
There's a reason you guys are called "Turd Chasers".
>>
My dad was in it way back when.

He loved every bit of it.

Tons of awesome stories.

A lot of depressing stories about the people he couldn't save though.
>>
>>33680769
Have you looked it up on the CG recruiting website? Also try the forums on Military.com. I would think that the whole point of getting into the ME rating is to get into an MSRT or MSST unit, hell, if this rate was around when I was in, I never would have gotten out, I would have done 30!!!!!!
>>
>>33680810
if they want to fight the war on drugs they should join the USPS guard
>>
>>33679746
You can probably get in with a GED if you get a high enough ASVAB score, but I should check the terms on that.
>>
I've been considering it recently since I've been slowly realizing I'm going to hate the school and career choice I made(IT field) the more I've learned and worked in it. I'm 24 and got my Associates and I'm halfway through my Bachelors, no criminal history and can fill a diversity quota, knowing how picky they are am I a attractive candidate for the CG?
>>
>>33681051
I think its common practice among all branches that if you have a GED, they want you to have at least 1 semester of college as well, unless you're prior service.
>>
>>33680016
I lived about a block down the street from the Lakeview, above some touristy shop on the corner of Portage and Ferris, across Ferris from the VFW.
>>
>>33681168
Personal experience here

White male, Associates and some way through for a bachelors, disqualified from the Air Force.

After I did the online application I was called pretty fast and as long as we could work through the DQ everything was good to go. My hunch is they're just picky with high school kids and those with records, but I may have just gotten lucky.
>>
>>33680769
It sucks. You're a paper pusher. You write tickes and read about operations. You don't do them.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.