/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every 18" shotgun I see has a fixed cylinder choke. Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 3635.jpg (34KB, 1200x280px) Image search: [Google]
3635.jpg
34KB, 1200x280px
Every 18" shotgun I see has a fixed cylinder choke.
Is there some practical reason preventing short shotgun barrels from working with interchangeable chokes?
>>
>>33671009
the people who want 18 inch barrels dont want or care about chokes and manufacturers know this.
adding a choke makes the barrel more complicated/expensive. they have no incentive to do it. theres a reason the 18inch replacements only cost 80-100 bucks and everything else is 150+
>>
>>33671009
Mossberg does offer a full choked 18.5 inch barrel with sights. Same price as the cylinder bore.
>>
>>33671009
Why would you want a choke on an 18" shotgun?

Are you expecting clay pigeons to break into your house?
>>
>>33671009
you're probably not making any shots that require a choke with an 18" barrel
>>
>>33671495
I can't imagine what that would look like.
Maybe if one of my neighbors got so pissed off he set up a full skeet range outside my house and started lobbing clays through my windows.
>>
>>33671495
>>33672508
>clay
Please watch the documentary "Birdemic" and re-evaluate your contingency plans
>>
>tfw useful idiot fifth column gun control normalizing fuckwits keep referring to 18 inches as a "short barrel"
rrreeee
>>
Removable chokes add cost, both to the barrel manufacture and the total cost of the gun as the choke needs to be added to the package.

For cheapo shotguns, that almost doubles the price if you add a few chokes.

>>33671495
>Why would you want a choke on an 18" shotgun?

I'd imagine IC & rifled chokes could be useful.
>>
>>33673282
>rifled chokes
wat?
>>
File: image.jpg (851KB, 3245x1388px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
851KB, 3245x1388px
I use an IC choke on my 18" factory Rem bbl. A cyl choke is fine but IC is best for using with Fed FliteControl, which I use.
Plus that way I got rid of the shit "breacher brake."
>>
File: shotgun_rifled_choke.jpg (18KB, 336x336px) Image search: [Google]
shotgun_rifled_choke.jpg
18KB, 336x336px
>>33673575
>wat?

Some slugs only fly decently out of a rifled barrel.
So if you have a smoothbore, you can install a rifled choke to give it a tiny bit of spin before it leaves the barrel.

It's not optimal by any means, but for cheap shit slugs it helps.
>>
File: ESS.106-8.jpg (547KB, 1030x800px) Image search: [Google]
ESS.106-8.jpg
547KB, 1030x800px
Shotgun general?

Particular question, but could someone do me a favor that has a 7 shell card on a Mossberg or Remington with a Magpul stock?

Could you just hold it left handed and tell me if the 7th shell gets in the way when just manipulating the gun and just generally holding it?

Debating ordering 7 or 6 shell cards, but a tap worried the 7th will make handing the shotgun uncomfortable.

>I'm a jew and want to take advantage of the sale on SKD so no time to order 1 of each to see for myself.
>>
>>33673580
>Fed FliteControl
These things are literal black magic.
>>
File: IMAG0678.jpg (450KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0678.jpg
450KB, 1520x2688px
>>33674116
I have the Esstac 7-shot card, and I shoot my Mossberg 590 with a Magpul stock left-handed.

As long as you position the card almost as far forward as you can on the Velcro, and make sure the rearmost cartridges are brass up (which I find easier for chamber loading anyway, in my case those are slugs) it's not too bad holding it.

As you can see, your trigger finger has to rest on the trigger guard, but shooting it is not affected at all. I have the fore-end at its most rearward position, and it's never hung up on the card.

Hope this helps. I can recommend the Esstac card; in my opinion, shotguns for home defense need as much ammo on the gun as you can comfortably fit.
>>
My Vepr 12 has an 18" barrel and it's threaded for chokes/muzze brake
>>
>>33671009

Maybe the manufacturer wants to ensure the buyer won't combine an extra full choke and slugs, then blame the company.
>>
>>33674116
>Shotgun general
Anyone able to recommend a good value for money double barrel 12ga?
>>
>>33674683
>Double Barrel
>Value

Only one may be selected.

There's Stoegers, which are cheap, but a lot of people complain about stuff with them. You get a lot less fit and finish in a $500 double barrel than you would in, say, a $300 pump action.

If you want to move a step up from that, welcome to guns that cost 2k fuckboy.
>>
>>33674493
That is literally exactly what I was looking for, I have a 590A1, left handed and was thinking about the Esstac cards. Thanks anon.

Looking at your picture I think i'm honestly going with the 6, it just seems like It's in the general way. It tickles my autism.

One thing I can decently see is when putting on a new card, if you say slap it on at a high angle because, you know, shits going down. The 7th shell would be bending down probably blocking the trigger by a good amount, or at the very least making it a pain in the ass to shoot until readjusting it.
On that note, check out the magpul fore end, its cheap as shit and honestly was such an insane improvement over the stock one it was scary.
>>
I have a stupid question. Excluding slugs, what keeps the pellets from bouncing around in the barrel? I can think of a few reasons, but I figured I would ask. Also, if someone made a shotgun load very underpowered on purpose, would there be a very high chance of damaging your barrel from the projectiles not flying forward fast enough?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>33676759
Shot cup. Use google. It's a cup that holds the shot. Obviously. It's going to leave the barrel and fly slower than the shot, which effectively flies out. That Fed Flite-control or whatnot is toying with this concept by holding the shot for longer, thus, decreasing spread.

Also, why would you damage your barrel by shooting slow? Shit ain't magical "oh shit it's gonna explode I gotta throw it away from me" material.
>>
>>33676759
Pellets or rather, shot and even buckshot up to size 11/0, that is the biggest (I'm EU but that should be triple augh? maybe I'm wrong), does not bounce around the barrel during the shot because, even if not using any modern shot cup, they are under acceleration and tends to "pack" under their inertia. Think of you being pressed in the seat of a fast accelerating car.

That effect also must be calculated when making shotshells. Finer shot (like size 8, 9, 10...) do clog the barrel under that acceleration far more than bigger sized shot and that must be accounted when calculating powder charge to avoid pressure spikes.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.