[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I was 17 I was committed involuntarily to a mental hospital

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Junkinabox.jpg (24KB, 446x257px) Image search: [Google]
Junkinabox.jpg
24KB, 446x257px
When I was 17 I was committed involuntarily to a mental hospital because I got into a fight. My psychiatrist at the time was terrible and my current psychiatrist thinks that the medication I was in at the time may have exacerbated my condition. My question is, have I lost the right to purchase a firearm? If so, is it possible to assure the state that I am now properly medicated and for all intents and purposes a functional, levelheaded citizen? If I did in fact lose my rights, I am hoping for recourse. I live in Michigan. Thanks for reading.

Random photo because I'm posting from my phone.
>>
To clarify, I had depression, which coupled with bad medication and poor judgment, caused me to choose to fight instead of trying to defuse the situation.
>>
>>33669014
Really, the best thing to do is talk to a lawyer licensed to practice in your state. If I were to guess, it doesn't matter what you were committed for, but the fact that you were committed involuntarily. The fact that you were a minor might make a difference, but idk.
>>
>>33669014
>>33668956
>impulsive
>bad judgement
>mental illness

>want to own firearms
tell me what's wrong with this picture?
>>
>>33668956
>I was committed involuntarily
J U S T
>>
>>33668956
Noguns for you most likely. The funny thing is is that it wouldn't stop you from becoming a police officer and acquiring a license that way but as a private citizen without an attorney and about $3k you'll get turned down at every check.
The fact that you were a minor doesn't matter either. The state says they expunge that but in reality they don't when it comes to mental health. It's treated entirely differently than even dangerous criminal behavior as a minor.
>>
>>33669076
This was nearly 10 years ago. Therapy and medication have so effectively treated my depression that it is basically cured unless I stop taking medicine and attending therapy, which would ruin my life more than not owning a firearm ever could. I was 17, by the way. The brain is not fully developed at this point. Teenagers do stupid things. Of course, my actions were rash and deplorable, but redemption is possible and dues can be paid. But anyways, it's the opinion of the courts that matters, I suppose.
>>33669052
Thank you for being helpful. I'll be sure to speak to my attorney.
>>
>>33668956
>My question is, have I lost the right to purchase a firearm?

hope not
>>
>>33669125
Thank you very much for your help. I have an attorney, but I haven't spoken to him about this yet. I figured owning a firearm would be a good idea since in the last few months, there have been more than a few violent robberies in my area. I also would like to go hunting/plinking with my family.
>>
>>33668956
What sort of communist country do you live in where you get institutionalized for getting into a fight?
>>
>>33669718
Lol. What happens happens, I just am wondering if it's possible to move forward.
>>
In the US your records are sealed after you turn 18. things that happened before then do not affect you post adulthood unless you murdered someone basically. There should be no reason that those records are attainable or able to be used against you and your right to own a fun.
>>
>>33671906
That's not true at all. Watch less TV
>>
>>33669718
It means there is more to the story than the OP is letting on.
>>
File: 1492396705047.jpg (260KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1492396705047.jpg
260KB, 1280x1280px
>>33668956

Dont listen to these faggots. You havent lost any rights.

I was involuntarily committed when i was 15. long story on how i got there but my evaluation said "slight depression" and they "recommended" i stay. i also had to see a psych for a year after and take paxil. i didnt take the paxil bc it made me lethargic and killed my boner.

i was able to buy my first gun at 20 or 21 no problem and ive never had any issues with the background check.
>>
>>33672015
This might also vary on a state by state basis.

If you're in CA, the DOJ runs a much more thorough independent background check that can deny you even if the NICS system says you're G2G. Sometimes mental health records aren't logged in a digital format and aren't readily accessible to NICS, allowing you to pass a background check even though you would be lying if you marked no on the 4473 for involuntary commitment, which is a crime.

Technically what you're supposed to do is get it cleared legally, mark yes on the form, PLEAD with the dealer not to deny the sale (since they risk their license dealing with you) and show proof that you're allowed to purchase firearms. In practice people tend to get it cleared and then lie on the form which the NICS system has no way of detecting as a lie.

As always, definitely talk to a lawyer in your legal jurisdiction first.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.