[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the policy of No Man Left Behind apply to corpses? At

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 46_4.jpg (175KB, 728x409px) Image search: [Google]
46_4.jpg
175KB, 728x409px
Why does the policy of No Man Left Behind apply to corpses? At least in my mind it seems foolish to risk lives in order to retrieve bodies. I've admittedly never served but I wouldn't want my friends to risk or possibly lay down their lives to recover my body, seems like a waste.
>>
I assume its also to recover/destroy any classified gear
>>
>>33666145
Is the average soldier actually going to have anything that important on him?
>>
>>33666131
Its so the U.S. isn't embarrassed by having its soldiers stripped and paraded through the streets on international television.
>>
>>33666660
Is that really worth potentially increasing the death toll?
>>
>>33667163

Yes
>>
>>33666131
>I'm an autistic neverserved who doesn't understand basic tenets of humanity or why we don't leave the bodies of our fallen behind to be violated and dismembered by savages
Fix'd.
>>
>>33667239
>I want to generate more corpses to recover one
>>
>>33667378
>>33666660
>>
>>33666580

In Sebastian Junger's "War" he mentions an incident where someone leaves an army T-shirt outside the wire, and the outpost has to organize a squad to go retrieve it. Their concern was that if an insurgent were to acquire the shirt, they could use it in some nefarious way. (Insurgents can be pretty devious, after all.)

Forget classified information, the amount of trouble the enemy could cause just with an army uniform makes it worth recovering the bodies.
>>
>>33666131
It's a policy/pride/camaraderie kind of thing. You fight harder knowing you can rely on the guy next to you. If you get hit, they'll be there for you. When you're injured, someone will fix you or take care of you. If you get captured, someone will come for you. If you get killed, they'll bring your remains back for your family.

For infantry, everything is designed for you to not have to worry about you. You worry about fighting, everything is someone else's problem.
>>
im sure some tier 1 vietnam operators sat around the table and said "fuck it just leave my body if im kia". regular infantry needs that assurance in the back of their minds or the unit will fall apart.
>>
>>33668249
I hope our opsec depends on more than t-shirt printing shops and tailors.
>>
>>33668313
>If you get killed, they'll bring your remains back for your family.

WWII we buried them in France.
>>
>>33667163
Yes, propaganda is a powerful tool.
>>
>>33669637
Today's US military is a lot different from the one in Vietnam and before the Goldwater–Nichols Act. The motivations of a soldier in an all-volunteer army are a lot different than those of a conscript forced into service.
>>
File: 1491263842484.gif (2MB, 280x358px) Image search: [Google]
1491263842484.gif
2MB, 280x358px
>>33666131
>At least in my mind it seems foolish to risk lives in order to retrieve bodies.
>I've admittedly never served
>>
>>33667163

The answer is absolutely yes.
>>
File: IMG_2825.jpg (341KB, 1089x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2825.jpg
341KB, 1089x1936px
I don't give a fuck about my body, and I don't think most do, but I wouldn't feel right leaving my buddy behind. I don't know anyone that would feel okay leaving their brother behind to be paraded around.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.