[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I was thinking of getting one of those new Henry single-shot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: H015-Single-Shot-Hero.jpg (209KB, 2460x683px) Image search: [Google]
H015-Single-Shot-Hero.jpg
209KB, 2460x683px
So I was thinking of getting one of those new Henry single-shot rifles as an affordable way to work on my long-distance marksmanship (inb4 "Buy a $1000 rifle with an $800 scope" - maybe someday, but I want to start practicing with something relatively affordable, and maybe at some point in the future after I git gud I'll upgrade my equipment). Leaving the choice of rifle aside, it comes in a choice of different calibers. The two I'd possibly be interested in are .223/5.56 or .308 Winchester. Everything else being equal, which caliber (if either) is better for long-distance precision shooting?
>>
>>33660843
308 gets you a longer effective range but you dont need it. 5.56 will be good enough with those irons.
theres no way your shooting past 400m with the stock irons.
>>

You can mount a scope to this gun and I see no reason why it would be incapable of ranging far out.

It's also beautiful. I want one of the shotguns.
>>
I'm not going to stick with iron sights. I'm going to start with a midrange, couple-hundred-dollar sight (probably a Leupold) and git gud with that.
>>
>>33660887
Thanks - and yeah, it's pretty good-looking.

What makes .308 better? Also, what's the difference between that and .223 in terms of recoil? I'm used to shooting my 7mm Mauser - how would the recoil on .308 compare to that?
>>
>>33660904
Just because if you decide go past 500 or 600 yards 308 will handle it much better. You can go 1000 with 308.

And it's cool to shoot full size rifle calibers out of single shots to me. .223 is tiny.

I haven't shot a 7mm Mauser but I'd say recoil would be the same or a little less.
>>
>>33660843

Damn, the MSRP on these is much lower than I expected!

I'd get a .223 and shoot more, personally. Looks like the rifle has a 1:9 rate of twist, so you'll be able to shoot 70-75 grain bullets out of it if you'd like. It's only 7 lbs and felt recoil out of a single shot can be heftier than a semi-auto or even bolt action, too, so you'll be less likely to develop bad habits with the .223.
>>
>>33660904
>>33661010
But if you don't plan scoping go .223. it will be fine to distances you'll be able to see with irons and be cheaper. I only suggested .308 mainly because you said you wanted to get into long range.
>>
>>33661029
I do plan on using a scope. See >>33660888

So what exactly makes a .308 better for long-distance/precision shooting? More energy behind the bullet? Better ballistics?
>>
>>33661148
.556 isn't a long range cartridge.
>>
>>33661148
WAY more energy and way heavier projectile.
>>
>>33660888
>hurr I don't want to waste money on a more expensive gun
>I'm going to start with a midrange, couple-hundred-dollar sight (probably a Leupold)

Talk about wasted fucking money.

Just get a Savage bolt action, you dolt.
>>
>>33661207
No, I won't.
>>
Savage 308/223 10 fcp-sr/t-sr and primary arms 4-14 ffp or swfa 10x
>>
>>33661219
>No, I won't.

Says the guy that can't even understand the medium to long range potential of .223Rem & .308Win.

Whatever kid, don't come crying to us when you wasted your money.
>>
>>33661207
>Just get a Savage bolt action
I'll second this, it'll take you a lot further.
>>
>>33661222
>>33661224

Sorry, I'm just fucking sick of the normal /k/ thing of:

>OP: "Hi guys, I'm planning to buy X piece of equipment and I want to know how it..."
>/k/: "Hurr durr instead of answering your question I'll just call you stupid for not buying this different product that I like better instead."

I mean, it's great that you like what you like but that has nothing to do with the question I asked so go fuck yourself to be real honest.
>>
>>33661249
the issue with this is op is always fucktarded. something like hey i want a vehicle to haul scrap iron in and other large items imma get a smartcar. then op gets pissed off when we tell him to buy a truck you dumb fuck.
if you came here for validation of your dumb ideas you came to the wrong place.
>>
>>33661274
Except that 98% of the time, it's the same shit:
>"Buy an AR!"
or
>"Buy a Glock!"
Because proleguns are basically the only thing that a lot of people here can grok.

Also, I didn't come here for validation. I came here to find out how .223 compares to .308 for long-distance shooting, and why. If you're not going to tell me about that, then I'm not really interested in what you have to say, so please go shit up some other poor sap's thread with irrelevant bullshit instead.
>>
>>33661310
>I came here to find out how .223 compares to .308 for long-distance shooting,
its already been covered 5.56 is only practical up to 500m if your concept of long range is farther than that get the .308
>>
>>33661310
>. I came here to find out how .223 compares to .308 f
simply put it fucking doesnt
youre autistic
>>
>>33661324
>its already been covered 5.56 is only practical up to 500m if your concept of long range is farther than that get the .308
That's exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you for answering my question.
>>
>>33661310

You realize that a cheap Savage AXIS II costs less than a fucking Henry Single Shot, right?
This isn't even "hurr spend more".

And yes, if you do spend more, you'll get years more of use out of a Savage 10 FCP-SR for a bit more.

>Except that 98% of the time, it's the same shit
>Because proleguns are basically the only thing that a lot of people here can grok.

There's a reason why there's a fairly established hierarchy in what guns to buy for precision shooting. It uses budget to determine in which category you fall and then subsequently offers you the best choices within that category.

It's ironic that you talk about proleguns, cheapness and then talk about Leupold btw.
>>
File: Kimber_Custom_II.jpg (169KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Kimber_Custom_II.jpg
169KB, 640x427px
not op, but on a slightly related note thinking about picking up my first 1911. choice is between a kimber custom ii from my local shop, they have it going on sale for $650. either that or springfield armory is having a deal were you get 4 mags, a holster, and a mag carrier with any purchase. the stainless steel mil-spec SA is listed at the same price $650 from the shop.

also im in commiefornia, so not many options are avaliable but if anyone else has a recommendation it would be great.
>>
>>33661386
If the dude wants the Henry let him get the Henry.

As far as second cool goes it's better than the savage.

Is the savage more practical and affordable? Definitely. Do guns always have to be 100 percent practical? Nope.
>>
>>33661148
.308 Wincheater in a single shot is nice because OAL is almost irrelevant compared to rifles feeding from a magazine, be it internal or external. This allows you to load long, heavy-for-caliber projectiles on top of full powder charge and hence have a load that can easily make hits at 1000 yards.

E.g. 50 grains Reloader 17 powder under a 208gr hornady AMAX loaded to about 2.9 OAL is a common load for 1000 yard .308 shooting but it won't feed from a magazine. Makes it a no-go (without without considerable annoyance) for AR-10, M1A, PTR or any box mag fed semi auto and even bolt actions must be fed one round at a time. A break action rifle, like the one you are considering, can use the longest (within reason) .308 loading you can cook up.

If you aren't convinced by that, the sheer variety of what you can do with .308 Win compared to 5.56/.223 should make it an easy choice. Do some research and you'll find that .308 has a load for everything from fat, round nose subsonics to screaming fast little pills that stay flat to 250 yards and everything in between. I love .223 and it's a great caliber for inside 400 yards but it is definitely not a good round to start distance shooting with. You will quickly find the limitations of .223 when you frustratingly try to get rounds on paper at 600 yards on a windy day.

Tl;Dr .308 is great, especially from a break action and it's very developed and useful
>>
>>33661520

You can manually load the rounds with a large OAL in a bolt gun.
And do so without breaking your stance/posture.

Good luck with a break action single shot.
>>
>>33660843

I'm looking at these too OP, I want one in .243. Fuck the haters.

Do yourself a favour though and wait for some credible reviews regarding accuracy. Break barrel single shots aren't typically precision firearms, but some are better than others.

If you do decide to go for a bolt action for long range shooting btw, don't go for an axis or equivalent. They're ok for what they are, but they aren't precision builds.
>>
>>33661682
An axis is going to be more capable than the person behind the gun if they're just starting out. I've seen statements that they are around moa rifles. That's enough for long range unless you're talking about crazy pushing the limits.
>>
>>33661310
>Also, I didn't come here for validation. I came here to find out how .223 compares to .308 for long-distance shooting, and why.

what the fuck is google, son. Even I, a nogunz UK faggot, know that 5.56mm is an intermediate cartridge and does not compare to .306

This is a message board, so OF COURSE you're gonna get peoples OPINIONS as responses.

At least you're getting reasonable answers and not /k/unts recommending .338 lapua or some shit
>>
>>33661249
Suit yourself. You're going to be sorely disappointed and realize how much of a dumbfuck you are once you go try to shoot groups with it.
>>
File: You_Doodle_2017-04-16T14_56_07Z.jpg (535KB, 748x626px) Image search: [Google]
You_Doodle_2017-04-16T14_56_07Z.jpg
535KB, 748x626px
>>33660843
OP this a pretty terrible choice for a long range precision gun.

Something like a Ruger American or Savage Axis would be better and cheaper.

THAT BEING SAID

I do love the way these look, and I'm planning on getting one in .45-70 for a brush gun/hog removal tool soon.

It's a great price for a 45-70 chambered gun, not so great for .308 and .223
>>
>>33662927

Basically wrote what I was going to.

I will add a recommendation though, grab an swfa ss fixed 10 scope. Those are the best cunts on the market for scopes under 500$
>>
File: inshallah.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
inshallah.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>33660843
308 because of its higher ark but its going to cost you more on ammo. Not that its going to be that much of a difference with a single shot.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.