[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi there /k/retins, /out/ here. Quick question, what do you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 2015-06-09 14.42.21_zpsajd49zoq.jpg (396KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-09 14.42.21_zpsajd49zoq.jpg
396KB, 1024x1024px
Hi there /k/retins, /out/ here. Quick question, what do you guys think it's the best tool for EDC, a multitool, a small (less than 4in) fixed knife or a modern tactical folder? I'm asking because I want to move from the usual SAK.

I would really appreciate any serious input from people actually carrying any of these. Thanks.
>>
File: 1490384226323s.jpg (8KB, 250x222px) Image search: [Google]
1490384226323s.jpg
8KB, 250x222px
Why not all three?
>>
>>33656527
Hmm,cold steel might be pretty good for you.I would suggest a cs voyager,or maybe a fixed mini tac.I edc a rawles voyager,it makes a very good utility knife and a very good self defense option, If you're aiming to have a razor sharp knife,get a sebenza or something,those are little folders that have a blade geometry to cut.Voyagers are thicc af,so idk if thats your best option for something hair whittling sharp.
>>
>>33656527
What do you usually do in your daily life. That's it.

I have my Leatherman. I work at the sawmill, and I sometimes have to pull a splinter from my skin with the pliers.

My buddy has SAK Work Champ. It has small stainless pliers that are even better for this task.

If I go outdoors, camping or hunting, I have a folding saw and a puukko-style knife. I also have my Leatherman because of modern camping technology I use.
>screws, nuts, a roll of steel wire, hot pots and kettles which I pick up from the camp fire with the pliers. Etc.

Are you a handy guy? Not messing with you but Genuinely interested. Because if you are, all you need to do to figure out your EDC is just to do more thinking about it.

What it is to you. What is it's nature to you.
>>
>>33656720
>self-defense with a knife

lol good luck with that one, you should probably start armoring your throat with sheet metal
>>
Totally depends on use. I wear out Leathemans despite having a nicely equipped shop.

Use should influence purchase. You know what you do. I don't.
>>
>>33657363
ha, my man. You are me.
>>
>>33656995
>>33657363
Yeah you guys have valid points, desu the multitool only comes into the equation because pliers are handy and it's a difficult thing to replace if you don't have them.
I hike and /mtb/, plus the usual camping, I kinda /diy/ sometimes but I have full size tools for that. My question also has to do with the economic point of view, I'm trying to figure out what the most logical buy, an $100 benchmade folder, an $100 esee 3 or an $100 leatherman wave?
>>
>>33657498
Are you into feels or utility. Both of these standpoints make sense. Of course.

I say it again: What it is for you. Think.
>>
File: 20160411_193314.jpg (177KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20160411_193314.jpg
177KB, 1600x1200px
>>33657498
EDC is a decent folder.
I've got a Wave(gen1) but it's just not as light and slick as a pocket knife.
Knife is always clipped on the pocket.
Leatherman only comes with if I'm hiking or otherwise innawoods.
>>
>>33657565
The fixed knife it's probably the best choice since I'll take more use of it while /out/ but somehow I find it a worse deal than an equivalent priced folder or mt, at the end a fixed blade it's just a sharpened piece of steel, the other two options at least have some more craftsmanship put into it.

Am I autistic/retarded for rationalize this issue that much? I may fucking be.
>>
>>33657498
The way I do it is:
>folding knife in pocket at all times
>multitool in armrest of vehicle
>small fixed-blade on belt when /out/.
You can get away with carrying a small-ish pocketknife pretty much anywhere, even if you live in a liberal hellhole. This isn't true for a fixed-blade knife, and at least for me I rarely ever come across a task a fixed blade would be markedly better than my pocketknife for in my daily life.

I would LIKE to be able to carry a multitool all the time but I haven't figured out a good way in my line of work. I already feel like I'm Batman with all the shit on my belt at my job (radio+keypass+ID which is separate from the keypass+janitor-sized keyring+pliers in leather sheath), I really don't need something else to snag and weigh me down.
>>
>>33657653
Absolutely. It may not be as pretty or require as much skill for a craftsman to make, but a $100 1095 carbon steel fixed-blade knife will actually be a better/higher quality knife than any $100 folder.
>>
>>33657653
>Am I autistic/retarded for rationalize this issue that much?

Being an autistic retard at rationalizing it is the fun part of the whole thing.

Again, what is it's nature to you.

My Leatherman is my mainstay. I actually find daily use for it in real life.

I need my Finn-style puukko knife and my folding saw during camping and hunting trips to do all sorts of chores. I really love both of them.

I have an opinel and some other brand folders but I find very little use for them. Then again I know people who can't go out without their pocket folders on them. They just can't.

It's not about forced rationalizing about things in the end. It's about need, regardless of reason.

I need my Leatherman, and those guys need their pocket folders. That's all there is to define those things as EDCs.
>>
>>33656527
Multitool in a belt pouch, small flashlight in the multitool pouch's elastic, and a small folding blade pocket clipped.
>>
>>33656527
Leatherman in the ute and $60 whatever suits your fancy victorinox non Swiss army knife knife.
>>
>>33657682
This, also if your really into bushcrafting or do lots of work about the homestead consider carrying a hatchet, I'm a fancer and I use it to chamfer batons and clear brush, it seems silly but if you can get away with it carry a hatchet everywhere.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.