[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong? If you were in charge, what would you have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 19

What went wrong? If you were in charge, what would you have done differently?
>>
>>33644704
Nuke from orbit.
>>
>>33644704
Not been in such a shitty movie.
>>
Nuked them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
>>
>>33644714
The book is fucking amazing though.
>>
File: Destruction_of_Despayre-TEA.jpg (271KB, 800x505px) Image search: [Google]
Destruction_of_Despayre-TEA.jpg
271KB, 800x505px
>>33644704
>>
>>33644709
/thread
>>
Reconnaissance of some kind would be a major. It seemed from the movie that the dropzone had been picked totally at random and that the MI weren't aware of the location of enemy targets at all. That they landed right over the hill from a bunch of plasma artillery bugs seems like it was a fluke rather than a conscious decision.
>>
>>33644704
Launch a handful of asteroids at it. I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'm all!
>>
>>33644714
Nah, fuck off. It was fun.
>>
>>33644729
Too bad that's not what OP faggotron posted.

>>33644812
No, it was shit.
>>
Forever War movie when?
>>
>inb4 a bunch of people start acting like the government in starship troopers is a good idea
>>
>>33644874
>inb4 a bunch of roach sympathizers act like Buenos Aires was a false flag
>>
>>33644754
>Reconnaissance of some kind

Are you saying you would like to know more?
>>
>>33644787
I was gonna say that... throw rocks right back at them.
>>
It annoyed me they just dropped off hundreds of thousands of MI in the middle of nowhere with seemingly no goal or waypoints. It was literally a Zerg rush with no intelligence done at all. I know the movie is satire, but still, watching all those young men and women get shredded for literally nothing was frustrating. A lot of good guys died on Klendathu. Too many.
>>
>>33644910
>back
>>
>>33644971
>a Zerg Rush
>done by Humans
>against bugs
>said bugs from the book being the influence for the Zerg in Starcraft
The irony is amusing.
>>
File: starship troopers-disgust.png (518KB, 1118x1004px) Image search: [Google]
starship troopers-disgust.png
518KB, 1118x1004px
>>33644874

Damn civilians.
>>
>>33644971
I think the whole point about Klendathu was about how certain countries used force of will as a substitute for strategy or equipment like Germany and Japan did. I'm sure there have been times in history where the main line of thought was:
>We are the greatest
>Lets go fuck those guys up over there
>Do we need to consider things like X, Y and Z?
>See the first point
>>
>>33644787

Exactly right. Hell there was an asteroid field fairly close. Just start dragging big ass rocks into collision paths until you crack that fucker right in half.
>>
>apologize to bugs for behavior of Mormon retards
>blame Buenos Aires on Mormons instead of the bugs
>nuke the Mormons
>invade the ruins for good measure

Basically fuck the Mormons. We wouldn't have a bug problem AT ALL if it wasn't for those retards taking their scripture literally
>>
The feds had FTL in that movie, right?

Why not just just shoot FTL drives at full burn at all their planets? Relativistic Kill Vehicles are no joke
>>
File: We_are_coming_for_you.png (122KB, 1280x1397px) Image search: [Google]
We_are_coming_for_you.png
122KB, 1280x1397px
>>33645094
Hmmm... that reminds me of a HFY.
>>
>>33644729
>>33644812
The book and the movie are both great, in different ways. I would love to see a more true translation of it, especially seeing that they managed to do a decent job with the suits in Edge of Tomorrow, even if they fucked up everything else.

>tfw you know that there will never be good movie translations of Starship Troopers, All You Need is Kill, or The Forever War
>>
>>33644715
They talked a lot about nuking from orbit in the movie, but it seems like they never did that. On planet P we saw fighters fly in and bomb (presumably they were nuclear bombs) sections of the surface, but no large scale (like, planet killing) nukes were used.

Did the higher ups pull back on that idea, and tried to save dosh by sending in the MI to clean up the planets instead, or does the Federation simply not have the ability to truly wipe out the bugs with orbital nukes (as in, they don't exist or they don't have enough, etc)?

Then again, the MI refers to their shoulder launched rockets as "nukes", although it's unclear as to whether they are actually nuclear, or just some high explosive mix. The blasts produced by those rockets is impressive, but the MI charges into the area they were used without any sort of radiological protection, and they seem to not really give a shit about fallout or anything. I guess that could be part of the satire, but it makes me wonder if they actually do have any nuclear weapons at all.
>>
>>33645134
Try the 80s anime.
>>
>>33644709
It's the only way to be sure
>>
>>33644709
Fuckin aye
>>
>>33645576
You might as well recommend the Muv-Luv trilogy if you're gonna go that far.
>>
>>33647590
Why? Its the most faithful of any adaption of a Heinlein property.
>>
>>33644709
memes aside, this

any alien race uppity enough to challenge sapient supremacy should have their homeworld glassed
>>
I thought this thread died
>>
File: 56690f1c.png (1MB, 1520x2000px) Image search: [Google]
56690f1c.png
1MB, 1520x2000px
>>33647614
I'm partially joking but the Muv-Luv trilogy VNs are heavily inspired by Starship Troopers, morose Alternative than Unlimited and especially Extra.
These range from outright ripping off of material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNDp7vAj3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

to minor references like how war refugees serving in the US Army gain citizenship for serving. Another example is how the bug-life BETA's underground hives are infiltrated via orbital drops, and how the finale of Alternative is an orbital drop done in order to confront and destroy the "leader" of the ayy lmaos on Earth. The way TSFs are depicted to operate, frequent jumps facilitated by rocket boosts, (https://youtu.be/LpCCreUdc9M?t=38s) could also have been inspired by the way the MI operates in Starship Troopers.

A thematically important similarity is the idea of putting the well-being of the group ahead of your personnel well-being. This idea that gets brought up frequently in Alternative as several characters put themselves in danger to protect others. Most of them get rewarded with death for their selflessness.

Though at the end of the day, Muv-Luv is a love story, (if that wasn't obvious from it having a title that means True Love) in an extreme situation and not the story of a Flip becoming an officer.
>>
GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk
>>
>>33644704
>>33644709
Yep, orbital bombardment. There's nothing worth holding so why bother at all?
>>
File: 1490400369374.png (443KB, 475x599px) Image search: [Google]
1490400369374.png
443KB, 475x599px
>>33650199
>That fucking long hair and bow
>>
>>33650265
Psychic robots can get away with shit that is against normal regulations.
>>
>>33645556
theres a legit planet buster in the third movie. watch if you want. its above average i guess. but the Q bomb had just finished development at the start of the third.
>>
>>33650271
Wait a fuck. They're robots? Then why the fuck make them look so human? Or capable of emotion? That's just asking for a whole lot of fucking trouble.
>>
>>33650284
>Then why the fuck make them look so human?
Stated reason is so that it doesn't conflict with the memories of the girl who's brain they used to make the robot. Self-image is important, and it needs to think of itself as being itself so the computer running it doesn't just overload itself. It should be noted that the robot is being running by a supposedly rather advanced quantum computer.
>capable of emotion?
Similar to the above part I guess
>That's just asking for a whole lot of fucking trouble.
You got that right.
>>
>>33650363
Ah I see, so they're AI are created/cloned off of human brains. Makes much more sense now. So now she has even less excuse for flaunting uniform regs that fucking narcissistic bitch.
>>
>>33650440
>Ah I see, so they're AI are created/cloned off of human brains.
Kinda, though the girl on the right is the only one of her kind in existence. I like how you haven't asked what happened to the original brain.
>So now she has even less excuse for flaunting uniform regs that fucking narcissistic bitch.
There's a minor plot point about the bow having material used to block her psychic powers, so she doesn't allow for info leaks by reading the minds of the staff on base. Those happen anyway but whatever.
>>
>>33650510
>I like how you haven't asked what happened to the original brain.
Please. It's a Japanese game involving a military. It's either destroyed or undergoing some sort of pointless torment.

Well it's an ass covering but at least it's for an important reason.
>>
>>33650538
>It's either destroyed or undergoing some sort of pointless torment
Correct on both of your guesses. Congrats.
>>
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/starship-troopers-reboot-works-943882

How will it be /k/?
>>
>>33652355

Alright, at best. Just a regular Hollywood reboot. A lot of action, but that's about it. Nothing of what the book is about or the extreme satire of the movie.
>>
>>33652355
ahh yes, another chance for Kikel McShekelstein to fuck up one more thing.
I wonder if there will be a fully enriched and vibrant cast for this abortion.
>>
File: 1.jpg (159KB, 1088x768px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
159KB, 1088x768px
>>33650199
>>33650265
>>33650271
>>33650284
>>33650363
>>33650440
>>33650510
>>33650538
>>33650557
DUDE
TWIZZLERS
LMAO
>>
File: 2.jpg (135KB, 1088x768px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
135KB, 1088x768px
>>33652509
>>
File: 3.jpg (181KB, 1088x768px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
181KB, 1088x768px
>>33652513
>>
File: 4.jpg (210KB, 1088x768px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
210KB, 1088x768px
>>
File: 5.jpg (118KB, 1088x768px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
118KB, 1088x768px
>>
File: 6.jpg (127KB, 1088x768px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
127KB, 1088x768px
>>
File: 7.jpg (135KB, 1088x768px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
135KB, 1088x768px
>>
File: manadayaco.jpg (21KB, 447x463px) Image search: [Google]
manadayaco.jpg
21KB, 447x463px
>>
File: why (2).jpg (192KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
why (2).jpg
192KB, 1920x1080px
>>33652509
>>33652513
>>33652516
>>33652519
>>33652523
>>33652529
>>33652534

why would you do this to my thread
>>
File: 1444304822820.webm (3MB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
1444304822820.webm
3MB, 1024x600px
>>33652624
Muv-Luv was posted, Twizzlers must follow.
Here's the obligatory CHOMP.
>>
>>33652657
delit this
>>
>>33644971
Didn't pretty much the same happen in the book too? A massive invasion that wasn't really though out
>>
>>33644704
for the life of me I will never understand why they didn't just find a big friggin' asteroid and drop it on the planet. Cheap, easy, and no invasion necessary.
>>
>>33644704
nerve gas the whole fucking place
>>
>>33652701
N O B L E
C O N F I D A N T
>>
>>33644987
>said bugs from the book being the influence for the Zerg in Starcraft
That would be the Tyranids, Blizzard was working on a Warhammer game but it went tits up, they then went on to make Warcraft and Starcraft instead.
>>
>>33652707
I'm not sure, I didn't read the book. If the same thing happened in the book it's still annoying. I guess that's the point of it all, to show how stupid we can be sometimes. I made this thread specifically so that /k/ could brainstorm plans for that initial assault that would actually work.

How do you go about launching an invasion on a planet you have no foothold on? Could they have dropped defensive structures in several places, and then MI around those structures, with the hope that the area around them would be cleared and eventually more could be built and/or improved? The problem is that it seems like nothing works against the bugs. They can eventually tear up even the most resilient material if given enough time. Maybe build some sort of complex in a hill or something, at least that way you get more time before the penetrate the walls of your defensive area. Then again, like on Planet P, the bugs can tunnel in and be inside before anyone can even react.
>>
>>33644874

Found the turk
>>
>>33645123
>reminds me of a HFY.
HUMANITY! FUCK YEAR!
>>
>>33645123
>Deeli used as a measure of time and distance
>>
>>33652992
And what are Tyranids inspired by?
>>
>>33644704
>Land in seemingly random place
>Troops all bumrush out with no commanders visible, just running in any random direction looking for bugs to shoot at
>No orders being given, no organisation obvious (companies, platoons sections/squads...everyone is just a rabble following the crowd)
>No air support, no armour

I'd have recce'd the landing sites first, sent in pathfinders to scout out the DZ's, sent in an initial wave to secure the DZ after a bit of orbital/aerial softening of nearby targets, and then moved in with heavier units i.e. armour and engineering to establish a forward base of operations that was capable of handling aircraft. From there we seek out where the enemy are and begin launching our attacks from a secure base of operations. Also, dropping the troops off and then having the fleet just fuck off is not going to work. Those troops will need sustainment - take out the anti-ship weaponry on the planet or the invasion is going to be very short lived and none of those troops are coming home.

You don't just land 100,000 infantry without giving them orders and absolutely no fire support and watch them literally caveman-rush into the jaws of death
>>
>>33644704
Exterminatus
>>
>>33653059
>How do you go about launching an invasion on a planet you have no foothold on?

Read Marko Kloos' Terms of Enlistment series. I think you will really, really enjoy it (I fucking loved it - it feels like plausible sci fi and he does the military narrative really convincingly).

Point is, in his 4th/5th book of the series the humans invade a planet that was taken from them by their alien opponent, and he goes into very good detail about how they go about it - it all seems very realistic and being from an airborne brigade myself it sounds very similar to what we would actually do.
>>
>>33655500
They totally did that in the 3rd movie dunno why they didn't in the 1st maybe they didn't have a weapon capable of exterminatus yet
>>
>>33645064
>until you exceed the gravitational binding energy of a planet
This is why you got stuck in infantry
>>
It seems like the bugs have no problem getting through the metal the outpost was made of, as well as whatever body armor the MI was wearing. Would a tank and/or IFV/APC fare much better? I think an armored vehicle with some sort of 20 or 30 mm autocannon would've been the best vehicle for the initial invasion. Drop a few hundred thousand of them and have them fight outwardly to establish some sort of perimeter. The more supplies can be dropped in and more secure outposts can be established. Then it's just a question of getting the ammo down there and getting strong enough materials to create perimeters.

It seems like open topped outposts were used, which were totally useless against the flying bugs. Was the brass aware of the bugs that could fly at all? Outposts should be built with closed roofs to prevent any insect from swooping in.

THe main problem is that the insects seem to be able to tunnel. It's pretty hard to fight against a tunneling enemy, so I'm not sure how they'd prevent the bugs from tunneling under convoys of tanks/IFVs and burying them.

Truly one of the biggest fuck ups on the part of the humans was being unaware that the big bugs could launch attacks into the atmosphere and hit the landing ships as they were flying in. That was a colossal fuck up, and probably was the easiest thing to avoid (ie, send some drones in and make sure they didn't get blown up by the fucking blue light).
>>
>>33644704
Simply put, there would be no initial invasion. It would be a slow process into trolling the bugs into depleting resources.

It isn't made clear in the movie what the bugs really eat. I can't remember anything about it from the book either. It seams a reasonable assumption that the have dedicated bugs that chew up whatever energy source they can find and bring it back to some central point in a hive, not unlike what you see in an ant colony or a beehive.

We know the bugs can think. Breeding an army requires calories, this is the bugs greatest weakness and it's what must be exploited to bring them to heal.

It seams clear enough that once the bugs lose their defensive advantage that the Federation can retake a planet easily enough like they did on P.

The bug warriors are good for being warriors and little else. Once they are born, all they will eventually do is die. The bugs probably recycle themselves but the laws of thermodynamics are working in our favor here, it takes calories for the bugs to raise an army, and every time the bugs raise an army, the deplete a large amount of the resources the have accumulated.

So you do not invade. You raid. You make the bugs breed, and run, and stir, and you run away.

You don't do this on a planetary scale either. No. You deplete their resources in a local area. When you notice their supply lines getting thinned out? Set up an outpost. This is more than a secure landing zone, its a base to launch even more frequent raids. Every time you move, the bugs need to counter you, and it takes a lot more for them the to breed and mobilize thousands of bugs than for you do send out a platoon and a ship to pick em up.

You slowly spread up, nuking every bug hole along the way, always trying to upset supply lines more than anything, until the planet is yours.
>>
>>33645123
Do you have more stories?
>>
>>33644714

want to see denise richards tits, see some disappointing whore instead

never again
>>
>>33652509
Just curious why do the ayys need to rape in this?
>>
File: BRAINSSSSSS.jpg (48KB, 398x596px) Image search: [Google]
BRAINSSSSSS.jpg
48KB, 398x596px
>>33659281
Experimentation to see how humans respond to certain stimuli.
During the course of the experimentation, the parts of her that are considered unnecessary for feeling pleasure are slowly cut away, leaving her as a constantly orgasming brain in a jar.
She exists in this state for three years or six years.
Yes, really.
>>
>>33656030
>It isn't made clear in the movie what the bugs really eat

Considering the whole planet seems to be devoid of life (although, I haven't read the book so I'm not sure if this is true), I really have no idea what they do for food.

Also, how do the bugs launch these asteroids at earth? They don't have any sort of structures or computers from what we can see, how exactly are they flinging these asteroids around? Additionally, don't they need some sort of FTL drive or something to send the asteroids to earth? It would take millions of years for the asteroids to hit earth if they were simply pushed and not accelerated by anything, since Klendathu is on the other side of the galaxy. Again, I never read the books so I'm not sure if this is explained at all. Not only would it take a long ass time without some sort of engine on the asteroids, the calculations for when and how to launch the asteroid in such a way to interact with all the other gravity fields it will encounter and actually hit earth is insane, how can they do that without computers and shit? It can't be dumb luck.
>>
>>33644704

>no orbital bombardment
>no air support
>no chemical weapons
>no nukes
>no armor
>no motorized infantry
>no heavy weapons
>nope, let's send light infantry on foot with rifles that barely do shit to giant bugs, tissue paper armor, and nothing else
>park all ships within range of enemy artillery, so close together that if a single ship breaks formation it'll crash into another ship and cause a domino effect of collisions

That doesn't even get into the other shit in the movie they did that was fucking retarded, like leaving the bridge of the ship staffed only by a pair of horny idiots not paying attention to their jobs and crashing with an asteroid.
>>
>>33645556
They had tactical nukes. They'd just gotten done fighting a war with the Skinnies, if you wish to place that movie in the same timeline as laid out in the books, which were humanoid and aboveground dwellers.

They nuked the SHIIIIIIITTT out of the surface of Klendathu, but that did fuck-all because the bugs were (deep) underground. IIRC there was a scene where they finish the bombing campaign and say something like "well, we killed 400,000 of them and can't see any other signs of life, send in the MI to mop up". Not sure if that was director's cut or not though.

As to the rest of it, it was a poorly thought out satire movie. I doubt they knew or cared about fallout and shit.
>>
File: 1459855903245.gif (104KB, 320x471px) Image search: [Google]
1459855903245.gif
104KB, 320x471px
>>33659387
Welp then
>>
File: altlove.jpg (88KB, 951x597px) Image search: [Google]
altlove.jpg
88KB, 951x597px
>>33659674
Maybe I should add "3 or 6 years across multiple timelines, and >>33650199 remembers every single moment of every timeline"
>>
>>33659566
They congratulate said idiots as well
>>
>>33644862
Honestly i'd think i'd want to see a armor movie before forever war...

i also wouldn't mind see the Man of War Series by H. Paul Honsinger made into a high budget miniseries.
>>
>>33657643
Ask /tg/
>>
>>33645134
>there will never be good movie translations of Starship Troopers

>latest entry in the franchise had me hyped, because trailer quoted the first page of the book word for word
>movie starts the same way, trailer is basically the first minute of movie
Of course they fucked it all up again by the 1:02 mark, as they revealed it's set in the shitty direct to video sequels universe.

RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>33644874
>almost zero corruption
>no conscription
>you have all life comforts you can have now, regardless of age, sex, skin colour and religion
>total freedom of information, gov doesn't hide anything from you

Hm...
>>
>>33644903
Underrated.
>>
>>33662106
>>total freedom of information, gov doesn't hide anything from you
WELL AH PURSONALLEE THINK THE IDEA OF A THINKING BUG IS OFFENSIVE
>>
>>33662106
They start a war with everyone who doesnt suck their dick
>total freedom of information, gov doesn't hide anything from you
What the fuck? It's not true at all
>>
>>33662106
>total freedom of information
They hide nearly everything bad, they cover up how bad the initial invasion was (Look at the casualty computer after the drop, its more than ten times worse than what they report in the propaganda) Its implied that the SS intelligence people knew how bad the drop was going to be but were happy to throw that many people into a situation they couldn't win to find out minimal intelligence and by the end of the film they're down to child soldiers
Oh and every citizen we see in the film is crippled
>>
>>33652707
If memory serves right, they did recon from orbit and dropped troops at key locations.

Also, way over half of the book is training, just under half is getting planets back and the final invasion of Bugistan is like the last three chapters. They also could have nuked the planet out of existance, but preferred to force a surrender. (Book bugs are actually smart, have weapons and use mining equipment and shit)
>>
>>33644704
Should've just cracked the fucking planet there was no strategic advantage to taking land on Klendathu
>>
>>33662128
>>33662116
>>33662113
Book gov would publicly flog movie gov for being assholes that cover up shit.
>>
>>33644704
Well an orbital bombardment for starters, maybe get some intel first. That battle was a motherfucking disaster
>>
Adaption with Johnny Rico as a flip like he should be when?
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.