[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be 5th rank, 8th file >centurion blows whistle >form

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: BelloGallico.jpg (269KB, 1021x753px) Image search: [Google]
BelloGallico.jpg
269KB, 1021x753px
>be 5th rank, 8th file
>centurion blows whistle
>form testudo, whole century gets in formation
>fucking teamwork
>barbarian missiles rain down as the cohort marches forward
>close with and throw pilum
>fuck you barbar scum
>hold onto mate's lorica hamata
>take turn on line
>stab fuckers with gladius

The Romans had their shit squared away.
>>
>>33640139
sry about ur thred m8
>>
>>33640215
thnx bro
>>
>>33640139
get your fucking hand off my lorica hamata
or i'll gladius frag you
>>
>>33640506
make me faggot you know we're going to have oiled up gay sex later anyway
i'm going to give you my pilum if you know what I mean
>>
>>33640139
>Pullo breaks formation
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 500x375px
>>33640880
"PULLO! FORMATION!"
>>
File: 1476624308571.png (29KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1476624308571.png
29KB, 633x758px
>>33640139
>Augusto accidentally trips me with his clumsy footwork
>accidentally land on own gladius
>have to get my arm cut off because I scratched it a little
>>
I was wondering, at what point did classic Roman tactics become obsolete? What technological or strategic breakthrough changed everything?
>>
>>33641779
They didnt
>>
>>33641779
they are still viable tactics for riot police action http://imgur.com/gallery/WSHaDQP.

I'm gonna go ahead and say armored knights and pike squares, plus long-range bows.

The big advantage Rome had was logistics. Feeding an army encamped is super expensive and makes the people fear and hate you because of soldiers shitting and raping
>>
>>33641779

They didn't. They're still used actively by riot police all over the world.

They probably went out of service in active military warfare due to the arrival of large numbers of heavy cavalry and the loss of the concept of a large professional, dedicated military force.

Roman tactics require a lot of drill to pull off properly. At the change from a profesisonal to a levy military, that level of drill went away.
>>
>>33641779

They didn't until the development of firearms.
It's the manpower quality (both in training and in determination as well as in morale) that got much worse during and after the IV century.
>>
>>33640883
SHIELDS ON ME
>>
>>33641779

The same things that made all other large unit formations obsolete: radio and automatic weapons. Radio made the formations unnecessary, automatic weapons made them dangerous. Prior to that, there were actually units of swordsmen operating in 3rd world countries as late as the 40s.
>>
>>33641779

Romans themselves changed tactics by the third century. They started to rely more on lighter troops with oval shields and long swords because they could not throw heavy infantry around due to the extension of the border and the continuous, extended periods of warfare, they needed quick, small armies to put down raiders and germanic unrest, and they needed to train and equip them in a pinch.

The Legio comitatenses fought in closer ranks than the Romans used to, they locked shields and formed spear walls like Vikings and were more specialized to fight along and against horsemen, be they cataphracts or horse archers.

>>33641856

The professional soldier never really went away, medieval combat was just absurdly smaller in scale than classical combat(100,000 men involved at most to 10,000 men at most) due to vasalage binding the peasant classes to the land. The medieval men at arms were extensively trained, not as much as the knights themselves but they werent fools with pitchforks.
>>
File: 1490417239611.jpg (29KB, 480x294px) Image search: [Google]
1490417239611.jpg
29KB, 480x294px
>>33640139

>fail at conquering germania
>half of their army is barbarians by the time their empire fell
>rome raped and burned multiple times by barbarians

how /k/ worships these guys still is beyond me desu
>>
>>33642417

They didnt conquer them because after Germanicus genocided them there was no one left to conquer.

Also goths were baltic scandinavians, not krauts.
>>
File: 1492033485552.jpg (147KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492033485552.jpg
147KB, 800x600px
>>33642417
>implying you can grow olives in Germania
>implying auxiliaries were a bad idea
>implying there are numerously more accomplished civilizations than Rome.
>implying any other western capital hasn't been burned

How you are so fucking obtuse is beyond me.
>>
>>33642417
dumb weeb poster
>>
>>33642417
their buildings and infrastructure stands to this day and will last another 2000 easily
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.