[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning on buying my first bolt-action in .308. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: photo3_3.jpg (163KB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
photo3_3.jpg
163KB, 1008x720px
I'm planning on buying my first bolt-action in .308. I pretty much only plan to shoot it at the range or at steel targets on BLM land. Around 100-300 yards. Maybe 500 max. It's only my second gun, I currently own one revolver. I live in California and bolt actions have the least restrictions. 4chan thinks my post is spam so I can't paste links to everything

Here are the parts I plan on buying:
>$470 Howa 1500 barreled action 24" in .308 threaded and blued
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/barreled-receivers/barreled-action-var-hvy-blue-308-24-6-threaded-sku100023948-103532-198907.aspx
>$400 MDT LSS chassis for the Howa 1500 short action
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/howa-1500-lss-chassis-short-action-black-sku100019730-85245-181161.aspx
>$64 Claymore muzzle brake. To direct concussion forward, I don't care for recoil compensation.
>$57 AR15 CTR stock. I might buy a cheek riser for it later.
>$22 Hogue grips
>$43 0 MOA scope rail for the Howa 1500
>$368 Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm scope ($265), plus the mounting rings ($22) and a pair of flip covers ($81)
>I have an atlas bipod from my friend who no longer needs it.

Is there anything else I should buy or any parts I should change?
I've heard that the Howa 1500 can't take 10 round steel aics mags because of an extra bit of metal on the receiver. Are there any steel 10 round mags that are compatible with it, or can I file away a bit of the mags and make them fit? There's a guide online that shows you how to file away bits of the receiver to make them fit, but I'd rather not do that.

I should also mention that I plan on taking up reloading eventually, but not anytime soon.
>>
Bumping because i too am in your position wanting a pretty decent bolt action in either .308 or 5.56.

Ive been looking at the howa as well but was wondering if there was maybe a 16" model for running around in the bush with. The claymore sounds like a good idea. Might i throw in a suggestion. Get a folding stock piece to make it easier for transport. Just a suggestion
>>
>>33638597
Yeah I might get a folding stock adapter, depends how unwieldy a case feels once I actually get my hands on it. If I were going hunting I would definitely go for it, but I live in an urban area so bringing it into the woods isn't really an option.
>>
>>33638652
Ahh i see. kinda makes me sad that the .308 or .223 versions wont shoot the nato loadings.

around here in southern Appalachia its hills and mtns with very few areas to get a shot thats 400 yrds or more without dense as fuck tree cover.

Other things that are on my lists is having decent buis on the rifle. Always loved my no.4 mk1 siggts but would like something in the .308 or .223 range
>>
Why not just buy a ruger american for your first bolt and git gud
>>
>>33638728
>Ahh i see. kinda makes me sad that the .308 or .223 versions wont shoot the nato loadings.

You're a bit off there. 5.56 and .223 aren't the same. In a pinch, they're interchangeable, but 5.56 is a hotter load and the case dimensions are a little bit different, so if you've got a civvie .223, you'll probably want to stick to .223 but a 5.56 chamber will eat .223 mostly without issue.

.308 and 7.62x51 are even more similar. IIRC the case dimensions are the same, but .308 is actually a hotter load, so if something's 7.62x51, it can be dangerous or damaging to continually shoot .308. If you've got a .308 chamber, 7.62x51 is absolutely interchangeable, but you'll have to run your numbers for the different load.

If you're a decent shot already and just learning .308, M118 surplus is a decent place to start. Reasonably cheap and plentiful and good enough (usually around 1.5MOA) to start on until you start getting more serious and graduate to the expensive stuff and/or reloading.
>>
>>33638848
I don't like the idea of using a cheap gun to it gud and then ditch it later, even though it probably does make more sense. Plus resale is a hassle.
>>
File: 11p93x.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
11p93x.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>33638867
Ahh see i knew about the 5.55 part not the .308 bit thats actually news to me ill do some searching on that thanks friendo.
>>
>>33639035
*5.56 i have sausage fingers
>>
>>33638896

Why not buy a budget precision gun then?
>>
>>33639104
Suggestions?
Also aesthetics
>>
>>33638597
Just looked up another linear comp that looks better than the claymore

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/covert-comp/

about the same price too
>>
>>33639113
Mossberg MVP in either caliber. Accepts ar mags of either caliber also has the same stock availbe you was looking at.
>>
>>33639308
how's the barrel/action quality compared to howa though?
>>
>>33639422
Um to be honest its been about 6 months since i held the MVP and the Howa but they couldnt have been bad because i really would have remebered them then lol.

The MVP with the fluted bolt felt really nice i can tell you that and it was on the +$700 model.

If you have any semi decent fudd stores near ya they will probably carry both of them.
>>
That ruger precision in 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 would rip as well.
>>
>>33638497

I think it's a good idea to buy something quality so I'll back you on that, I don't have a Howa but they have a great reputation.

Why all the fluff though? I mean, no h8 your taste is gr8, but you could get a Boyds laminate stock for like $100 and then glass bed it for a few bucks more.
>>
>>33640021
Honestly it's because I just hate the synthetic/laminate aesthetic.
>>
Do everything there except .223 instead of 308
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.