[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reloading anons... what can you do with shot bullets? If I got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0243.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0243.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Reloading anons... what can you do with shot bullets? If I got into reloading and started casting my own unjacked lead bullets can i recycle them? Is there anything I can do with these fmj bullets?
>>
a couple of those look like you could reuse them with no problems
>>
>>33626266
Lead melts at a lower point than copper, so you could melt them down for ingots and remove the copper jackets.
Casting your own bullets is a bit of a chore though...
>>
>>33626273
This, 3-4 of them look like they're not deformed at all. What did these hit, OP?
>>
>>33626266
Some guy managed to reload and shoot the same bullet a few times. Unless you work a shit job I think working one hour of overtime easily compensates for the money you'd save reusing or recycling these rounds.
>>
File: IMG_0186.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0186.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>33626273
Thats no big deal to just reload it as is? Ive been thinking about going full retard and shooting into a sand bucket bullet trap with rubber over it for this reason.

>>33626292
Wouldnt mind doing it. Hobby is a hobby.

>>33626307
A stump set on its side. The way the stumps cut its sort of thin so it goes through an edge then lands in the mud or splits the wood behind it and the bullet doesnt deform. Im as bewildered as you.
>>
File: IMG_0244.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0244.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33626326
Not an economy thing at all. Just curious what the fuck I could/should do with em.

Check out this nonsense. Round hit the wood. Split it partially and was mostly intact. Round hit it from behind and they became one.
>>
File: IMG_0245.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0245.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33626354
Then a third round entered these merged two rounds kek.
>>
File: winner.jpg (219KB, 1325x1300px) Image search: [Google]
winner.jpg
219KB, 1325x1300px
>>33626326
Congratulations!
You have won this round of "Spot The Brass Vulture"!
Another acceptable answer would be "The Shitloaf that picks through the garbage at work for aluminum cans".
>>
>>33626405
Meme asside this is my backyard and some of these are litterally laying in the grass its sort of wierd. Or only barely lodged into the second stump.
>>
>>33626266
You could melt down the lead and pull the copper out of the molten lead (copper has a higher melting point), then cast the molten lead into bullets. I've never heard of making homemade jacketed bullets, but you might be able to melt down the copper and add new jackets to it as well.

Don't expect to save much money with it, but it would be a useful skill if there's ever a real SHTF time.
>>
File: IMG_0232.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0232.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33626501
Yeah its not a money thing. Morbid curiousity and casting boolets sounds neat for the reason you just mentioned. Posting random shit from today.
>>
>>33626405
>not including "That cunt who offers two dollar coins for all of your spent brass at the range"
THIS GAME IS RIGGED
>>
>>33626405
>The Shitloaf that picks through the garbage at work for aluminum cans
I do this, why do you deride me for recycling and collecting nickels/dimes from the trash
>>
>>33626266
mmmmm, making your own FMJ or JHPs is probably too difficult for your average hobbyist. OTOH you could certainly melt the lead out of the jackets and recast it fairly easily.
>>
>>33626266

There are videos on youtube of guys digging up backstops for lead and then melting the scrap down into ingots.

Personally its a bit too much lead exposure for my taste, it also really depends on how you value your personal time as it is really time consuming.

Although I could see setting up a little backyard foundry to smelt the copper jackets back down to ingots that you could sell for scrap.
>>
>>33626440
I reload and shoot in my yard too and noticed the same thing.

What I usually do for pistol training is set up little 2x4 wood boards cut into squares all over and occasionally ill find a bullet sticking half into the 2x4 or a tree or something.

But then I have my 8mm mauser that will blow straight through huge trees and send splinters everywhere.

Pistols really are anemic, imo.
>>
File: hst4.jpg (46KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
hst4.jpg
46KB, 620x349px
>>33626833
Because I put that shit in there on purpose.
I like watching you dig through filth for a few nickles.
>>
>>33626983
Yeah when you really start shooting you start to see just how relatively slow that little 9mm bullet is moving.

Fuckn car accidents are more violent.
>>
You can melt your own lead with a camping stove; lead's melting temperature is only about 400F.
>>
>>33627091
It honestly depends, ive seen some weird shit shooting and it surprises me all the time. It can go both ways desu

7.62x54r will go through a double cast iron sink longways, so 4 layers of cast iron

.22lr will blow apart cinder blocks

I set up a 500 yard target infront of a small tree and one round of fuddy aught six clipped the tree and it fell right over
>>
>>33626335
> I've been thinking about shooting bullets in a manner in which I can easily recover them and make them into more bullets.

What is the God damn point?
>>
>>33626266
I bake them into fruitcakes and give them away as gifts. Nobody ever eats them and the added density makes them seem higher quality.
>>
Just curious: how much copper jacket alone of 9mm and 5.56mm bullets weighs?
>>
>>33626266
Lead has lower melting temperature than copper so you can melt it and sell, with amazing price of 1$ per pound of lead. Before you do that, keep in mind that lead is toxic.
>>
>>33626986
Go ahead, I get my nickels and you get to watch me. It's a win-win.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.