[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just found out my Great Grandfather fought at the Battle of Vimy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: over-the-top.jpg (335KB, 1914x1190px) Image search: [Google]
over-the-top.jpg
335KB, 1914x1190px
Just found out my Great Grandfather fought at the Battle of Vimy Ridge in WW1. Apparently he won two medals and when he returned home he went insane.

I'm 25 and I feel like a faggot for not having served or experienced any combat, anyone else the same?
>>
>>33622436
Join the military then
>>
>>33622436
Not at all
Grandfather was airborne in the Second World War
Never talked about it
Never liked fireworks
Got addicted to cigs and alcohol
Died of cancer
>>
>>33622436
No I served. My grandpa is the faggot.

Just kidding, he was an RO but he served between WW2 and Korea.

This is going to get "why would I serve the totallirian military Industry" blah blah real quick.
>>
>>33622436

>not holding yourself to your own standards and being your own man
>>
>>33622460
I'm too old and mature to do that
>>
>>33622436
I think your great grandpa would be glad that his descendants didn't have to see the horrors he saw, and that what he fought for *eventually* lead to a long period of relative peace. I wouldn't wish the horror of WWI on anybody.
>>
>>33622436
Go fight for big oil and then come back fucking batshit then.
>>
My dad always said he joined the military so his kids didn't have to

Unless your grandpa was an officer then he probably wouldn't want you to experience what he did. Work hard in other places in life and make your ancestors proud.
>>
>>33622575
Basically this since the dawn of humanity
>>
>>33622498
You're in the age range faggot.
>>
>>33622436
My dad served and I went against his wishes and joined up myself, should have listened to him.
>>
>>33622611
>Unless your grandpa was an officer then he probably wouldn't want you to experience what he did

Go have a look at the casualty rates for WW1 officers in the field

You were more likely to die as a subaltern than a Private
>>
File: 1491722131040.jpg (60KB, 1167x879px) Image search: [Google]
1491722131040.jpg
60KB, 1167x879px
>>33622436
I do sometimes. I feel very guilty for not joining sometimes. I feel guilty that I'm overweight because it's irresponsible and I feel like, should a war come to pass in which they need as many men as possible, that I should be as ready to go as I can. I feel as if it's my duty. I'm very proud of where I'm from and it bothers me sometimes that I haven't contributed more than I have. I'm working on the weight issue, at least.
>>
>>33622498
Kek
>>
>>33622436
>I'm 25 and I feel like a faggot for not having served or experienced any combat, anyone else the same?

You are lucky

I am going insane.
>>
>>33622622
Actually no. War today is much more stressful as a whole and on average.
>>
>>33627189
Even if that is true, i'd be much happier fighting now than in WW1.

Fuck trenches
Fuck fragment dodgeball
>>
>>33622436
My grandpa was a corpsman in Korea. He was at Inchon and a few other places, he was 18 years old. When he got home he went to school, became a dentist, practiced dentistry for a few years and didn't like it, so he quit and became an electrical lineman. He worked for 45 years and never called in sick. It's not the lack of combat that makes me feel like a bitch, it's the fact that I don't have his work ethic or old school toughness. Those guys were definitely a breed of their own.
>>
>>33627223
There is no happy fighting in Modern warfare, if you've actually experienced combat.
Fuck IED's
Fuck Insurgency's
Fuck the rules and regulations
Fuck modern weapons and explosives
Fuck not knowing if what you're doing is right
Fuck urban warfare where everyone's got atleast a full auto full sized rifle
Fuck the ease of which any insurgent can get their hands on an SVT or RPK.
Fuck being hated by alot people you're trying to liberate
Fuck having to work with and protect a place that hate's you and you probably hate it (along with its people)
Fuck the practically guaranteed PTSD.
Fuck it all, war is hell. And modern warfare is a special kind of hell.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.