[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here 3D print an AR lower? I just tried one, but my dumb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: download gun.exe.jpg (3MB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
download gun.exe.jpg
3MB, 2500x1667px
Anyone here 3D print an AR lower?

I just tried one, but my dumb ass neglected to verify some basic dimensions in Inventor prior to printing and the result is slightly undersized. Good thing I printed it with 10% infill so it's basically a shell and "only" took 8 hours to print.

Anyone have any recommendations for a "durable" receiver I could print?
>>
>>33604755
Bump for interest
>>
>>33604755
You're supposed to print it solid. Also, shit shrinks, how much depends on the material, slicing parameters (how exactly the plastic is squirted out, in what shape, order, and density), and printer. You should expect to spend a couple days on testing alone because every printing setup is special.

The Def Dist receiver is basically as solid as you can get without being ridiculous. Go find the FOSSCAD repo if you want more options.
>>
File: too small.jpg (221KB, 2083x824px) Image search: [Google]
too small.jpg
221KB, 2083x824px
>>33605078
I know how 3D printing works. This model is undersized and I neglected to check it and scale it or pick a different one. Pic related is of the magwell which measure to the same ID as the OD of a STANAG within a couple of thou. The buffer tube hole is also way too small.

I'm in the process of beefing up the Aliamanu-Phobos. Will post in-process screenshot next.
>>
File: beefy negro.jpg (45KB, 823x589px) Image search: [Google]
beefy negro.jpg
45KB, 823x589px
>>33604755
>>33605233
>weez dubs now
I'm adding material on the sides. I'm trying to balance print speed/mass with durability.
>>
>>33604755
You should stop illegally downloading guns because downloading is what funds AL Qaida and spreads ebola, and guns are bad mmmkay
>>
>>33605078
PS I was printing it with 10% infill because I wanted to do a test with annealing the PLA and wanted to get an idea of how much it would shrink post-annealing.

>>33605333
>you wouldn't download a gun
FUCK YOU! I would if I could.
>>
>>33605262
>>33605377
>PLA
Anon pls. Get some nylon.

As a side note, you'll need some kind of a solution to work with the longer pivot pin holes. I figured 1/4-20 threads on one side of the receiver would be fine, but you may get tired of having to unthread 2 screws to separate the halves. Maybe extended pivot pins.
>>
>>33605432
I don't take my ARs apart enough to give a shit about having to unscrew a bolt or two.

I haven't bothered with nylon because of the printing temperatures.
>>
>>33604755

Been looking into ways to do this myself. Unless you're gonna do it out of a reinforced nylon, which means drying and a hardened tip, it's probably not worth the time.

You could always make pieces/plates that fit together ala the Jäger pistol, or do so with a central sheet metal piece that's easy to stamp like the new Sigs, thus opening the path for more easily printed pistols.
>>
>>33605463

Or upsize it to rifle stuff cuz I forgot the point of the thread.

Still, fucking use Nylon if you want a full lower.
>>
File: IMG_20170302_221542_01.jpg (2MB, 2634x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170302_221542_01.jpg
2MB, 2634x4640px
>>33604755
Nigger what the fuck did you do?
Just fucking download the fosscad megapack and print a warfairy like I did.
Do it in abs and follow the reprapwiki's triffid Hunter calibration. Made mine in PETG and it it fails to feed like a motherfucker. Looks hella cool though. I think the vanguard, the Hermes classic or the defdist are the good ones to do. Phobos is too dependent on close tolerances for a printer id say, as sexy as it looks.
>>
>>33605432
Do neither. Nylon flexes a lot. Abs is probably the best unless you get the boutique fiber reinforced shit or polycarbonate.
Abs for everyday, just acetone smoothe it.
>>
>>33605679
>looks hellacool
No, it looks fucking retarded. Looking at that rifle gave me cancer.

>actually printing that gay-as-fuck NY Safe Act compliant piece of shit stock.

kys
>>
>>33605679
>drove 50~ hours to shoot HOW many rounds of this?

Fucking amazed it works so well. Don't think I forgot about that scorpion. We will do it some day.
>>
>>33605748
NY safe does NOT allow thumbhole so you anon is a fucking retard kill yourself. Also that printed AR is fucking awesome and works surprisingly well.
>>
File: IMG_20170216_190357_01.jpg (2MB, 2709x1858px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170216_190357_01.jpg
2MB, 2709x1858px
>>33604755
Also another thing, the buffer tower is beefy enough. No need to further reinforce it, just make sure everything is to spec and there isn't any warping or Delamination.
Ama I guess I'll be around.
>>
>>33604755
>>33605779
Post Printers
>>
>>33605777
>>33605779
>works well
>fails to feed like a motherfucker.
>unironically prints a fucking thumbhole stock
>faggot ass east german rain camo jacket
Wasted trips.
>>
>>33605763
Oh, I shot out 250 rounds or so. Seems like I'm the only one that can shoot it reliably, everyone else manages to FTF
>>33605777
Yeah I shat out new lowers so we'll shoot it when I'm back In PA and out of this shit NY gig.
Yeah I got plenty of other ideas other than the scorpion we'll have fun.
>>
I'm not familiar with 3D printing so I've gotta ask: how well does that material manage heat?
>>
>>33605830
Usually not well
>>
>>33605779
>that tiny magwell
So why do ARs normally have such fuckhuge ones if that works fine?
>>
>>33605830
It doesn't.

Apart from the legality shenanigans that started this mess, there's a reason there isn't a polymer upper receiver out there.
>>
>>33605841
magazine stability id imagine. Although I honestly would like to see my ARs with those super small magwells. Would make Hi cap mags much easier to use.
>>
Don't printed lowers just die by breaking off at the buffer tube after like 100rds?

or did printing improve and I'm super behind?

Because I really want to print a PS90 space gun lower and furniture for an upper...
>>
>>33605898
Pretty sure the designs just got thicker.
>>
File: IMG_20170404_210313.jpg (2MB, 3488x3488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170404_210313.jpg
2MB, 3488x3488px
>>33605841
I don't think it does, the tolerances need to be tighter than a virgin asian's ass from what I can tell. Probably gonna make a thread with a bunch of warfairy testfire webms in a few weeks to try the other lowers.
But really, from my experience I wouldn't take printing totally serious, it's just fun shitting out memes and lowers tbqh
If you can't understand the appeal then there's no reason to be in the thread.
It's fun.
>>
thanks for reminding me that I wanted to model some Saiga mags.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.