[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ I'm planning on getting my first handgun soon. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: Para-USA-Expert.jpg (144KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
Para-USA-Expert.jpg
144KB, 661x496px
Hey /k/ I'm planning on getting my first handgun soon. I'm really leaning towards some kind of M1911 model (something like pic related) as I like the aesthetic and I've fired my dad's when I was younger and I remember enjoying it.

I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips or info as I'm pretty much a complete novice when it comes to guns.
>>
File: Rem1911-34554.jpg (180KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
Rem1911-34554.jpg
180KB, 661x496px
Maybe a Remington? Are there any manufacturers that are objectively superior?
>>
>>33594504

The best advice is to go to a gunstore, handle a bunch of different pistols, and buy one you like the most.
Oh, and don't buy a Kimber or Taurus.
>>
>>33594504
Stay away from Series 80 firing pin blocks and full length guide rods. Ruger is probably your best bang for your buck.
>>
>>33594504
If you're into DIY and have a well stocked garage, you can make your own from an 80% lower and have a custom gun.

This will be expensive, but you'll learn how the firearm functions, how the parts work together and how to tear it down to zero (and put it back together). My experience also involved hand fitting parts, an adventure in Cerakote, and tying my new 1911 to a board and test firing it with a string.
>>
Don't buy a Kimber or a Taurus.

Since you're asking for a 1911 recommendation of all things on /k/ I'm going to assume you either didn't lurk enough or is stupid.

I suggest something like ATI or Rock River, they should suit your 1911 needs.
>>
>>33594519

Well you generally get what you pay for.
I have a Remington R1 Enhanced, and it's been flawless.
However, the lower priced Remingtons sometimes have QC issues.
>>
Not op.

But is an M1911 a good pistol design to shoot 10mm?
>>
>>33594531
This, fuck Taurus. Kimber is hit and miss in my experience, erring on the side of miss.
>>
File: 1463157063711.jpg (35KB, 585x687px) Image search: [Google]
1463157063711.jpg
35KB, 585x687px
>>33594555
Here we go
>>
File: IMG_20160910_155752154.jpg (748KB, 1732x975px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160910_155752154.jpg
748KB, 1732x975px
>>33594555
Yes.

Pic related is my RIA 1911 GI in 10mm. Great for how cheap it was.
>>
>>33594531
>>33594557
Thanks for the heads up

>>33594546
I wouldn't mind trying that eventually sounds like a really cool experience, but for now I think I need to get the basics down.

Also do you guys think $700 is enough to get something decent? I don't want to get fucked on quality just because I want to save a couple hundred bucks.
>>
>>33594578

Congratz, hope you reload.
>>
>>33594587
Yeah, after every 8 rounds.
>>
>>33594585

Yes, $700 is a good target price.
Plenty of quality 1911s in that range.
>>
File: 1440655098556.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1440655098556.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
Sweet thanks for the quick good info /k/ you guys are pretty cool. Might be spending some more time around here.
>>
>>33594578
That's pretty sweet. How much?

Any good manufacturers that are under represented?

Also what's the general consensus about these two,options?
>Colt Delta Elite
http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Delta-Elite
>CZ Dan Wesson Bruin
http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/bruin/
>>
>>33594712
>How much?
I got it for ~$430 new from RKguns
>>
>>33594504
Auto Ordnance
>>
>>33594756
those tommy guns are pretty sick
>>
>>33594750
That's pretty good man. can you tell me about your gun

>Weight (Good/Bad)
>Magsize (8+ or lower)
>Length (Is it unwieldy or perfect)

I know I could look it up but all it is, is specs.
I would like the empirical data more though.
>>
Is 7 the standard for M1911 magazine sizes? Seems low...
>>
>>33594890

8 is far more common unless you're using a WW1/WW2 repro.
So you have 9 rounds total.
>>
>>33594870
>Weight (Good/Bad)
It has a bit more weight to it because it has a bull barrel unlike standard 1911s, however I like the little bit of extra heft because it keeps recoil down for high powered loads. I carry 230gr Buffalo Bore Hardcast for hiking and it handles them equally as smooth as a .45 1911 handles normal rounds.
>Magsize (8+ or lower)
Mag it comes with is 8, there are a couple aftermarket options for up to 10 I believe, but the most common and reliable (Metalform), are the standard 8. Surprisingly cheap though, considering it's not a super common caliber, about $20 each.
>Length (Is it unwieldy or perfect)
Standard 5in full size 1911 length. I think it's perfect coupled with the bull barrel so the action handles everything I put through it easily.

Really is a great gun for the money (and in general). Only complaint I have is that it's not possible to field strip because of the bull barrel. The bushing is internal because of the wide barrel mouth so you have to use a paperclip to hold the slide back under tension and then slide the entire slide and barrel assembly off at the same time. Not difficult once you get the hang of it, just annoying compared to how easy it is to disassemble a normal 1911.
>>
>>33594954
Thanks man.

I think I might have to get around to purchasing one.

Now I have a question. Between the posted here >33594712 what would you choose?

As an upgrade once you become better with your pistol. Or would you just keep the one you have?
>>
>>33594790
Their 1911s are good too
>>
I'd sugest you go to a gun range and rent a variety of guns to seem if you would like a single action, a da/sa, or a striker gun.

Unless it's going to be a range toy, don't buy off aesthetics.
>>
>>33594991
>Between the posted here >>33594712 what would you choose?
Considering I use my gun specifically for animal defense while hiking, I'd honestly probably just keep my simple model because it works and isn't something I'd care about damaging.

Between the two you posted I would choose the Bruin (obviously), due to the quality, but honestly I wouldn't spend that much because I personally don't want something "high performance" and I also don't really like long slide 1911s.

If I was looking for an upgrade from my current one, I'd probably just go with this, actually:
http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-ultra-fs-hc-10mm/
It's an updated, double stack, overall better version of my basic GI model, and it's still a great price (can be had for $650 or less).
>>
>>33594504
1911s are a way of life my dude. For $700, I would recommend a Colt 1991. It's a plain GI style but with 3-dot sights, very reliable, and quality that you can be proud of. If you want tactical features, get an RIA. The in-between brands (springfield, remington, ruger) are kind of a waste of money, since for a little more you can get much better quality. If you just want a cheap GI you can take your pick, all the value brands run the risk of needing warranty service to run properly, but if it's in spec it can be fixed. The springfield range officer specifically gets a pass, if you want target sights.

Whatever you do don't get a Kimber, it's overpriced gimmicky bullshit marketed towards normies like yourself.
>>
>>33594504
Luke???
>>
Coonan .357 magnum semiautomatic
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.