[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To keep this /k/ related, greentext a story of a memorable event

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1490913227867.jpg (191KB, 1024x697px) Image search: [Google]
1490913227867.jpg
191KB, 1024x697px
To keep this /k/ related, greentext a story of a memorable event that happened to you involving /k/ related things, be it good or bad.

In the meantime I am making this thread to ask a completely unrelated question because this is my home board and I care more about your opinions than any other board.
What do you guys do for hobbies besides weapons stuff? I'm 27 and absolutely struggling to find something I am good at or can even feasibly do. Everything I want to try my hand at has a prohibitively expensive up front cost.
How did you get into your other hobbies? I want to get into foundry stuff, making knives, making lasers, woodwork, just making things in general, but I live in an apartment and dont have the workspace or the money required to start doing most of these things.
By the time I can actually afford a house I'll be in my thirties and I guess I'm just stressing out because I'm getting older and haven't really been able to enjoy doing the things I like.
>>
I will greentext a story to get things going

>be me
>be 2005
>"cooler" older friend (hes 18, im 16) decides to invite me to go shooting with these two chicks he knows from college
>we go up to this quarry and start blasting cans
>flirt with the chick my buddy isn't interested in
>she seems nice, but pretty ditzy
>the shooting calms down and we're standing around talking
>ditzy chick walks over to the car and grabs 12gauge mossman
>shes standing across from me and my friend, who are leaning against his car
>she's holding the mossman with one hand leaning it against her shoulder pointing it at the sky trying to look cool or something
>she loses her balance and the shotgun starts to tilt forwards towards us
>the shotgun is now falling faster towards us
>she panics and her reaction is to pull back on the handle towards her, to regain control of the gun
>gun is now parallel with the ground
>during her panic (mind you this all happened in less than 2 seconds) she manages to pull the trigger
>birdshot fires straight between my friend and i, straight through the windshield of his car missing us by inches
>we start screaming at her and she just goes really quiet
>thought I shit my pants
>never went shooting with her again.
>>
>>33584989
Bump. I'm in the same situation as you OP. I really need some hobbies that will help me meet people.
>>
>>33585044
Yeah my man. Life is suffering.
Most of the people I do know don't shoot or aren't into guns like I am. So I always go to the range alone, and no one at the ranges are friendly. I'm not awkward or strange or anything but people at the range just generally keep to themselves, at least around here.
I am the only person I know that rides motorcycles (another passion of mine), so I forever ride alone.
Only person I really have to talk to about things that interest me is my fiancee, and she only listens to humor me because I have no one else to talk to, shes otherwise completely uninterested in this kind of stuff haha.
>>
>>33584989
>at my buddy's ranch
>Christmas reunion of the old guard, we are all in our twilight years of college but working and some of us have kids
>we dedicate two days of Christmas break to shooting, drinking, eating good food, etc
>first night of Christmas at the ranch everybody drinks heavily except myself and buddy's friend who now lives at the ranch full time and also works a shitty retail job
>once everybody falls asleep, I'm restless because I had to work until midnight and missed all the drinking
>text buddy's friend and ask if he's up to walk the fence line and chat about life
>he's down, wants to smoke a blunt as well
>okay.jaypeg
>I grab my AR and put on a pullover because central Texas is chilly at night
>meet him at my truck, he sees AR on my sling
>dude what do you need that for, we just out here walkin
>he's black so smoking a blunt and walking around in the country is scary but apparently not scary enough for guns
>tell him to put up with it I need to LARP
>he's almost done with the blunt and we are passing a large cleared pasture
>hear pigs grunting and shit from a long ways away
>he freaks out a bit, I tell him to chill out because we are fine
>walking back to house
>hear a shuffle near by and some oinking, stop him and tell him to get down
>I'm on a knee, he is 100% parallel to the ground eating dirt
>start laughing at him
>bro shut up you told me to get down
>LARP intensifies
>we walk back to the house like we are reenacting Zero Dark Thirty
>everyone sleeps well
>I stay up til breakfast, around 6:30 I notice two Pintail ducks land on his tank just off the back deck (pic related)
>walk outside and shoot both with my trusty Nova, everyone wakes up freaked out at gun shot
>walk back up to house and tell them duck is for breakfast, they all say they don't eat duck, freeze the breasts for later then sleep til 2pm
>we shoot a pig the next night and blunt buddy and I call ourselves the scout squadron because of it
>>
File: IMG_1139.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1139.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>33585079
Forgot pic for my shitty green text story. But OP I only socialize during Christmas and Spring Break. The rest of the time I just shoot with my buddy's dad and go to bible study.
>>
>>33584989
Have you tried reloading op?

You can get set up fairly cheap and there are ways to reduce the space required.
>>
>>33585077
I know how you feel man. I do most things alone. You're lucky to have a woman in your life though.
>>
>>33584989
>>33585044
If you want to start making things, start making things. You don't need a lot of space or a workshop. You could do wood carving, knot tying, pottery, sewing, knitting, or dozens of other useful creative things. Most of those are also useful survival skills. If you want to meet people find an arts and crafts group in your area. The girls in those groups are just as likely to sperg out as you are.
>>
>>33585097
I have done reloading a fair bit. My fiancee's father has a pretty sweet setup. I find it just too mind numbing for me though. It is interesting and fun to mess around with different loads, but honestly my biggest fear is just not paying attention while doing it because I have pretty gnarly attention issues, and overloading a round and KB'ing one of my guns.
For whatever reason with other things I enjoy like woodwork, I can just do it for hours and be constantly entertained or enthusiastic about it, but with reloading I can't just sit there and do it for hours.
>>
File: 1489329154046.jpg (38KB, 396x446px) Image search: [Google]
1489329154046.jpg
38KB, 396x446px
>>33584989
I work out (mostly body weight stuff because I fucked up my back) and practice kyokushin karate. Martial arts are a great way to get out and make friends. Just don't go to a shit tier mcdojo.

To keep it /k/ related:
>At the range testing my first AR that I just finished
>Load a mag
>Rack it
>New bolt is a little bit sticky and it doesn't go all the way into battery
>Start fucking with the forward assist
>It works
>Suddenly hear a very loud bang
>Jump like two feet straight up
>Thankfuckfortriggerdiscipline.png
>It starts raining cotton
>Mfw some inbred white trash redneck just blew up half a pound of tannerite under a teddy bear 20ft from the firing line
I don't go to that public range anymore
>>
>>33584989
Not in a mood to post autistic greentexts, but as a craftsman that recently moved to a house, I think I can point you a few directions.

As this anon said, >>33585097 reloading should be pretty easy to set up and I have a friend who has about 6x8 foot room and he managed to cramp a little workbench for reloading there, a PC, bed and a gun safe. Sure it isn't spacey there, but he manages.

Other hobby that doesn't require much in the way of setup cost and doesn't make much of a mess is leatherworking, altough proper vegtan leather is expensive. You can make it pretty /k/ related. Make holsters, bandoliers, side-saddles, sheaths for knives. Heck, even "custom" sling might be a thing. Maybe even something like Woodpatch does.

Minor woodworking will mean some dust and shavings, but if you've got a well ventilated room, it could work.

Both woodworking and leatherworking are a good way to get you good at sharpening, as you'll need to do it fairly often and you'll se your progress instantly. I find knife sharpening to be quite cathartic.

Heck, you may even buy some big bones, make soup stock from them and then saw them into pieces and carve arrowheads or something.

Last thing that's pretty popular here is to set up a hobby beer brewery. Sure, the setup isn't the cheapest, but you don't need a lot of space. And making your own alcohol is awesome.

Knifemaking is a hassle as it creates a lot of stuff you don't wanna breathe, makes a mess and needs loud tools and stuff. I prefer to do it outside or in the forge.

Hope I gave you some pointers.
>>
>>33584989
>be me, 18
>away at summer camp for the Canuckistani equivalent of JROTC
>marksmanship instructor's course
>mostly airguns because lol Canuckistan
>but!
>we get an opportunity to use a Colt C7 (Canadian M16)
>limited to 5rds in a magazine, single fire only, very closely supervised because, again, lol Canuckistan
>commence firing
>pop a boner
>always knew I liked guns
>now I knew I loved them
>only get 20rds total, sad when I have to say goodbye to rifle
And that was how I began to realize that guns turn me on and that they're fucking fun anyway. After that, I began visiting /k/ and realized how important 2A is. I wish Canada had something similar. As for non-/k/ hobbies, I mostly play vidya, watch moontoons, listen to music and work. I need to get back to the gym and get /fit/, too.
>>
>>33584989
I was in a similar situation a number of years ago. My solution was the local junior colleges and community centers. I didn't have space or money for a mill, but
I could afford to take some CNC programming and drafting classes. Plus the school was very lenient with shop time. One of the local outreach centers has a precision machining course, so I took that, too. I took some local art foundry classes, met some pretty cool people, and got into home foundry design. Took some wood carving and cabinetry classes, brushed up on my chemistry, learned to weld and frame a house. By the time I could afford to indulge in my interests, I knew how to do what I wanted to do, what I needed to buy, and where to get it. I had also developed a network of friends and acquaintances with skills relevant to my interests.
>>
File: fuel stove.gif (3MB, 289x213px) Image search: [Google]
fuel stove.gif
3MB, 289x213px
>>33584989
This is why I hate working this early in the morning. If this is still around when I leave, I'll type out a proper response.

Uh....have a pic bump?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.