[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are handguns so overpriced? It's just a few hunks of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 1475899205518.jpg (35KB, 640x628px) Image search: [Google]
1475899205518.jpg
35KB, 640x628px
Why are handguns so overpriced? It's just a few hunks of forged steel with some pins and springs. Seriously. No handgun should be more than $200
>>
>>33569693
Black people.
>>
>>33569693
>My understanding of economics, engineering, and manufacture are all on par with that of a third grader.
>>
get it? cause blacks are poor so they cant afford the, except highpoints, but those jam so white people have a chance
>>
>>33569696
Zed my man, you are on a fucking roll tonight.
>>
File: 1753176545-Tommy-Lee-Jones.jpg (104KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
1753176545-Tommy-Lee-Jones.jpg
104KB, 1280x850px
>>33569702
>understanding of economics, engineering, and manufacture
You know what asshat, go ahead and explain all three if you are so smart. I'll shoot down every point you think you've got. Or, you could just bitch out like I know you will.
>>
>>33569736
If you think they can be made so cheap, then do it and make a huge profit.
>>
>>33569693
Time to get a job at Hi-point
>>
>>33569736
Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtFi9OQrBjk
>>
>>33569693
Go make one from scratch in your garage then.
>>
>>33569693
Because it actually isn't cheap, forgings and castings need further machining and even more detailed work, on top of cleaning and trimming. Plastic is it's own field, injection molds are EXTREMELY expensive pieces of equipment and you need to make damn sure that the investment is worth it.
Barrels need to be rifled, springs need to be made, steel needs to be stamped, then all your parts need to be polished up and cleaned to be given a finish or protective coating.

After that, it needs to be assembled, tested, then boxed and shipped to distributors and retailers, on top of needing to be marketed, and I'm not going to even start with developmental costs.

All of these parts and steps cost money, in materials, equipment (investment and maintenance), and of course manpower, you need people to do these things for you.

Every part adds up, which it's why it's impressive that a company like Hi-Point can churn out a sub-$200 pistol that actually works and isn't a deathtrap, a lot of thought and planning goes into that, beyond zinc alloy castings, as central as that is.
>>
>>33569693
Why are cars so overpriced? It's just a few hunks of forged steel with some pins and springs. Seriously. No car should be more than $200
>>
>>33569702
more of a political issue as zed implied.

>Laws prohibiting or regulating the purchase of inexpensive handguns such as the Saturday night special are controversial in the United States. Saturday night specials are a legislative concern because of their offensive use by criminals and defensive possession by potential victims, particularly in low-income high-crime neighborhoods in large urban areas. The two primary areas of contention relate to the availability of guns and the effect of purchase price upon the demographic of who buys them.
>>
Machining and quality control requires labor hours, which costs money.
There's also the built in overhead for stuff like warranties, customer service, regulatory compliance.

Not to mention R&D and advertising.
>>
>>33569696
not incorrect
>>
>>33569928
germans managed pretty cheaply
>>
>>33569880
$200 is the scrap price of a car
>>
File: mafia throwaway gun.jpg (111KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
mafia throwaway gun.jpg
111KB, 600x600px
>>33569907
>>
File: hans get the luger.jpg (77KB, 344x515px) Image search: [Google]
hans get the luger.jpg
77KB, 344x515px
>>33569928
>>33569861

My Dad bought a Ruger 10/22 for $160 back in 1995.

an 8 pound rifle
semi automatic
for 160 bucks (*more like 200-300 these days but come on)

annnd... this is where we get to the point of why a semi automatic rifle shooting .223 costs bare minimum 500 if not 800
> which weighs 8 pounds
> and is semi-automatic, thus equally complex

next you're going to say something about how an 80 pound M2 Browning justifies the $15,000 pricetag when the scrap value of a 3000lb car is only about $200-400
> and as a machinegun its actually rather simple and riveted together which means its even simpler to construct
>>
>>33570348
Machine guns are an entirely different situation. You're dealing with artificial scarcity there.

There is little stopping you from opening up your own shop and making semi-auto rifles. If you think you can make ARs much cheaper than the countless other manufacturers, you could make a very tidy profit by making them cheap and selling them slightly cheaper than your competitors. The fact is that manufacturing is a cutrate business and you only think it's easy because you know relatively little about it.
>>
>>33570348
>A tiny semi-auto rimfire gun versus a semi-auto 5.56 gun which has significantly higher pressure and fires necked round with a flush rim

Hm, wonder why its more expensive.
>>
>>33570285
if it were legal to import a simple handgun from china how much do you think it would cost?
>>
>>33570885
Pot metal blowback? $100. They'd probably go much lower for derringers.
>>
>>33569696
>tfw Zed's not dead
>>
>>33569693
Because they generally have more intricately-machined, dimension-critical parts than a long arm.

More operations = more time = more money
>>
>>33571016
bingo
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.