[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the minimum amount of money that is necessary to make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: M16A2.jpg (70KB, 900x236px) Image search: [Google]
M16A2.jpg
70KB, 900x236px
What is the minimum amount of money that is necessary to make an AR that is just really fucking accurate?
is it achievable for less than $800?
I'm not talking sub-moa or any shit like that but maybe someone could also add additional costs to achieve sub-moa.
I'm going to part out my first AR and already have my 80% milled out.
I'm an AK guy and never really taken the time to look into ARs.

Pic somewhat related.
>>
File: colt55gr.jpg (78KB, 464x500px) Image search: [Google]
colt55gr.jpg
78KB, 464x500px
>>33562224
However much money it takes for you to either find a factory load your rifle likes or for you to cook up a pet load.

This is a chrome lined Colt 14.5" SOCOM profile barrel.
>>
>>33562250
This mostly.

If you want some tiny accuracy gains then install a free float system on a medium or heavy barrel.
>>
>>33562224
The only thing you need is to change the barrel to stainless steel and find a floating barrel upper
>>
90 percent of accuracy is the barrel. Get any old bcg any old lower and anything you want as long as you couple it with a good barrel and ideally free float rail.
>>
Wait for a holiday sale and you can get an upper on the cheap. Black Friday, Christmas, hell even St Patty's day had some sales. Get a budget Bushnell 3-9x40 at $100.

I did a 223/556 build with a 24 inch bull barrel for $850. It could have been in your budget but I spent extra for a stock with a bigger cheek weld and a quality bipod because it's heavy as fuck.

If you want a fluted barrel or a threaded barrel you will have to cut costs somewhere else.
>>
>>33562224
Heavy barrel.
>>
The most important part of accuracy is the quality of your ammo. Handloads with the best projectile you've tested for your barrel with powder measured to the grain will be better than expensive ass factory match ammo, which will still be better than shit most people buy.

Are you sticking with irons like your pic? Replace the front post with a thinner match post, which makes a retarded amount of difference. Like moa difference.

Once you can shoot 2moa with your gun, then you can fuck with free floating your barrel, which might shrink your groups by another quarter to a half inch depending on how much pressure you put on the barrel with your support hand. Even then, this is literally a 5.56 bullet's width worth of difference which means absolute shit after you're shooting the most perfect rounds you can.

>>33562276
Don't listen to this fag. Dropping a couple hundred on a stainless barrel makes as much sense as buying $600 billet receivers that advertised increased accuracy. Make up whatever you want, it will never be worth it.

Again, any appreciable difference in accuracy can only be seen at ranges greater than 5.56 is capable of hitting when shot at a 45 degree angle. Every other fucklord who says stainless is so much better are the same fucks who say "yeah my stock barrel shot 3 moa with steel case at 100 yards but this stainless barrel that I need to feel good about totally shot a 1moa group at 40 yards sorry no long range right now but trust me total tack driver"
>>
>>33562224
OP here.
Ammo will all be handloaded. Wife's father has a multi thousand dollar reloading setup for most common calibers and has been doing it for years. So ammo will be at least better than most boxed shit.
As far as barrel goes, is the general consensus on this that I need to go heavy barrel?
How much accuracy gain are we talking by going the free float route? To be completely honest I would rather avoid free float if possible, mainly for aesthetic reasons.
This rifle wont be for competitions or anything like that, only reason I'm building it is because I've finally hit the point where I feel bad for not owning America: The Gun.
Every firearm I own is an out of country weapon.

>bonus
I'm not made of money so I'd love to avoid spending a ton on this thing, but I also am kind of a buy once cry once guy. So recommendations for barrels and other parts like uppers would be appreciated.

>bonus 2
What would be the most ideal twist rate / bullet grain for +/-100m shooting, but no more than 150m?
>>
>>33562386
Get the barrel length you want in any twist (1:7/1:8/1:9) for as cheap as you can. Then you load the bullet to match your barrel instead of choosing a barrel to match your bullet.

In general the lighter bullets do better with 1:9 and the heavier like 1:7. But again, buy the barrel you want and then load the bullets to match it.

You said you would be hand loading so you will be able to optimize for any twist rate you end up with.

Wait for a holiday sale and you can expect savings up to $150 on complete uppers.
>>
>>33562386
Get a heavy barrel, 20" if you don't care about weight or length constraints. Weight is really not detrimental to your accuracy, it only matters to MUH OUNCES fags. You can free float your AR with A2 handguards and front sight post if you REALLY wanted to for aesthetic reasons, (people used to do this because of the rules of NRA service rifle) but free floating isn't a must. You won't notice a lot of difference in mechanical accuracy at this point anyway when shooting off hand or kneeling, only if you shot bench rest or are a professional.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.