[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you guys spend money on guns when you could be investing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 8

File: FB_IMG_1460506547599.jpg (100KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1460506547599.jpg
100KB, 720x960px
Why do you guys spend money on guns when you could be investing it in a well diversified portfolio that can generate reasonably satisfactory returns that will help you reach your retirement goals sooner?
>>
portfolio no make boom noise good
>>
>>33558496
I maxed out my 401(k) and IRA year. I also manage a considerable number of rental homes. Get your weak shit off of /k/, you dickshit
>>
>>33558496
I plan to retire as a custom gunsmith making fine rifles and repairing milsurps with 100% accurate reproduction parts.

Having a portfolio of guns will be a well diversified investment.
>>
File: birthday-cake-images-5[1].jpg (135KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
birthday-cake-images-5[1].jpg
135KB, 1600x1200px
>>33558496
>reach your retirement goals
The entire idea of retirement is retarded.
Stop. I know what you are thinking just stop.

My parents had me very late in life.
I grew up around retired people.
They are all depressed and waiting to die.
Iv living in a retirement community. Its so fucking depressing.
A year after my father retired he started gaining a lot of weight and hes not really the same anymore.

Work gives life meaning. Work towards getting a better job, a job you enjoy. Save and use the money to go on vacations or for you're kids future education. Retire when you can no longer go to work and not a day sooner.
>>
>>33558496
No idea m8 is beyond me, won't stop buying tho.
>>
>save money till you're too old to have fun anymore
>implying i have retirement goals
>>
>>33558496

Because trust funds are fucking rad.
>>
lolhipoint
>>
Firearms are liquid assets that appreciate in value faster than inflation.
>>
>>33558496

because unless medical technology significantly advances I'm gonna go blind before I retire, in which case the plan is to suckstart a shotgun and save myself from that living hell
>>
File: 1487902316269.gif (655KB, 460x426px) Image search: [Google]
1487902316269.gif
655KB, 460x426px
>>33558496
who said i was going to live to retire?
>>
>>33558813
T Y P E 1
Y
P
E
>>
>>33558889
Probably macular degeneration, shit sucks.
>>
>>33558496
>My cuz never had fun as a child.
>While we were out playing and getting scars and stories she was studying.
>When we was chasing girls and getting drunk she was volunteering.
>When we traveled the world on a dime she was busting ass at the bottom of the ladder.
>When we were settling down and getting married she was working every second of every day to slowly climb her ladder.
>When we started having kids she complained about being single
>When our kids were growing she died of a brain aneurysm after work in her apartment watching tv
>we used all her savings from her empty hard working life on her funereal

Enjoy your hard work. I'll enjoy life.
>>
>>33558496
I didn't.

I spent $180 on a simple home defense shotgun, and intend to spend another 300-400 or so on a concealed carry weapon. Then I rented guns or shot my friends guns.
>>
Guns kind of are an investment if you have plans on selling them later
>>
>>33558573
Can I learn from you how to do that I want to and am lost on how I've been to some scam seminars and want to really learn
>>
>>33558496
There is a high likelihood I will develop Alzheimer's.
>>
>>33558918

Yep, you got it
>>
>>33558962

aight you take the money

and you put it in your 401k

that's it. Don't have money? Stop spending it.
>>
>>33558496
>living past 30

Not in your wildest dreams buddy.
>>
>>33558573
How did you get a lot of rental homes (I'm assuming under 10 for modesty's sake)?

Did you leverage like crazy in the beginning and then make your money back?
>>
>>33558960
Not really a good investment.

They depreciate and even more so with use.
>>
>>33558496
because my Japanese waifu is literal millionaire
>>
>>33559144
Tell that to the people with guns on the machinegun registry
>>
File: cq5dam.web.500.500.jpg (53KB, 500x403px) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.500.500.jpg
53KB, 500x403px
>>33558496
>Why do you guys spend money on guns when you could be investing it in a well diversified portfolio

for the same reason you have gold in your portfolio

what is: a hedge
>>
>>33558683
Or you could sit back on a nest egg, and pursue the dreams you put on hold for home and family, content in your financial security if it doesn't work out.
>>
>>33559183
>investments based on very politically charged laws are a good idea
Please don't handle your own investments. Think of your children.
>>
>>33558683
Or you could create meaning in your life outside of work and enjoy your hobbies in retirement, potentially making some money off it by creating new things for it.
>>
>>33558792
Only if you buy rare and out of production guns. If you think a $400 AR-15 or $300 mossberg is an investment you got another thing coming
>>
>>33558496
because investments are a scam
>>
>Why do anything you enjoy when you can be hoarding your shekels instead?

Why indeed?

>3% of my income towards firearms and related expenses
>30% of my income towards investments

My God, I need to completely reevaluate my entire life.
>>
>>33558496
WAT I'M TU DUMB AND STUPID TO SAV FUR RETADMENT BUT I'VE GOTS DIS HUR SOCIUL SCURATY CURD
>>
because im probably gonna get killed or kill myself before i reach the age of 45
>>
A decent hollow point costs like 90 cents, dependant on caliber.

Sounds like a great retirement plan... Especially given Alzheimer's runs in the family.
>>
>>33558496
because when this world eats itself good luck trying to defend from looters with your "expansive number of stock options".
>>
>>33558496
Spend it on guns because of your pic
>>
>>33558683

would you say maybe that...

work sets you free?
>>
I just like being happy. Sure I could invest more. Sure I could advance at a larger pay and be more miserable. Sure I could live my life day after day wishing I could have been doing other things.

Fuck you. I shoot whatever, whenever and from whatever.

I learn how to make things that make others recoil in horror.

I visit national parks all over and admire the sights, smells and state of being.

I can sell my house to buy an RV and fund 5 years of my life without a care in the world. Then get a new job and do it over.

Get with sluts from around the world camping because I know how to cook a proper breakfast.

Why do I need to live to be over 80+ wearing a diaper, shit eyesight and some other horrible medical condition?
>>
>>33558496
because my retirement goals were met before i finished college.
>>
>>33559971
>tfw (((they))) have turned our own lies against us
>>
>>33558496
I have recently been getting rid of the shit in my firearms collection that i never used, and in turn, only keeping or buying firarms im fully capable of operating with, in order to start a diversified retirement portfolio that will help me reach my retirement goals sooner.

Tl;dr >sacrifice now for great reward later.
>>
>retirement
I don't think I'll ever be able to retire. I have major depression, and although I'm doing alright after many years, I really need to work. Things go downhill pretty easily when I don't work, it just helps to stabilise me.
>>
>>33558496
because "a well diversified portfolio that can generate reasonably satisfactory returns that will help you reach your retirement goals sooner" cant propel a bullet at 2500 feet per second
>>
>>33559913
kek
>>
>>33558683
Agreed. I'm currently an alcoholic drug addict and enjoying every minute that I have a substance in my blood.

Haha!

>there must be more to life :(...
>>
File: 1393317062212.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1393317062212.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>33558496

Because guns and ammunition prices always go up slow and steadily like bonds. Rarely are there down spikes in gun prices.
>>
>>33560654
>Rarely are there down spikes in gun prices.

Only because of dumb laws. South Korea would absolutely LOOOOOVE to flood america with some nice old rifles (I admit I want one).
>>
My last purchase was a Jimenez that I'm tinkering with until it runs right. Guns aren't exactly my hobby. No $3k+ AR-15 in my house. I'm already putting money into a 457 (public servant here). I'm trying to make a career change, so we'll see how shit goes.

>>33558683
>>33559316
My dad makes beer in his garage. When he retires, he's going to make MORE beer in his garage!
>>
>>33558496
>trigger finger off trigger
Wait what?
>>
>>33558496
Nice nigger discipline, They're learning.
>>
File: uganda.jpg (82KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
uganda.jpg
82KB, 640x960px
>>33562286
he obviously learned trigger discipline from another gang member who served.
>>
>>33558496

Cause I don't expect to live long enough to see retirement.
>>
>>33558573
That will be me next year, want the 30% downpayment to make the 15 year mortgage payments fit the budget
>>
>>33559009
Not even a troll response listen to the man. To expand a bit do a budget see what you spend and where and ask yourself if it is a good use of your life
>>
>>33559049
FUCK NO. Look save up and buy rebtals outright and do an assessment of when things are likely to break and how much it will cost to fix to set up sinking funds. Price rent with that in mind up to a competitive price then use profits to save up for next property. Raise your kids to not be shits with money as it will really benefit them more than you
>>
>>33558496
Because we are going to war, I don't know if retirement will be a thing when/if I get that old.
>>
>>33558496
whynotboth.jpg
(also, a gun is like $500, if that has any impact on your retirement funds, then you don't have retirement funds)
>>
>>33560049
Yfw it was never a lie but an attempt to redeem
>>
>>33558496
>planning for the future
The only future plans I have are laying traps around my /k/amp for ww3 bugout
>>
>>33562318
Way more common than we want to admit
>>
>>33563450
Right ....really not much else to say here
>>
>>33560957
I hope your dad doesn't have a doggo.
>>
>>33559586
I always thought this. Never made plans for the future, didn't take care of my body, didn't maintain any social relationships, etc. Now I'm older than I thought I would make it to be, and it's no bueno.
>>
>>33558683
>Work gives life meaning.
|
|>
|
|
>>
>>33558496
Because I busted my ass off for the first 15ish years of my working life (starting at 11) and already have enough money stashed between my 401k and an RMA to comfortably retire on, and I'm in my early 30's.

Downside to that is I lived in absolute squalor from 17-28 because every last cent I had that wasn't immediately spent on necessities went into savings, I never had money to do anything fun or buy nice things with. I'm talking Goodwill clothes and scavenged/yardsale'd/thrift store furniture, a shitbox subcompact car that was as old as me, and a tiny efficiency apartment in the bad part of the city.
>>
>>33563521
Er. Why?

Cuz non-fortified alcohol (under I think 20% abv) is totally unrestricted (as long as you don't sell it) and you're allowed to make up to 100 liters a year of fortified (20% or over) alcohol for personal use without licensing or revenue.
>>
>>33563555
And now that future is secure your focus can be on present and at q comparatively young age. Have fun dont go too nuts and dont stick your dick in crazy
>>
>>33563570
Gallons my man gallons and if your household has another person 21 or over you can brew 200 gallons. Just dont distil that shit or leave it in a barrel outside during winter
>>
>>33563552
Damn this a next level meme, I respect you.
>>
>>33558496

Because guns aren't that expensive.

Then again, I raised between the Southern Bourgeois class and utter trailer trash poverty at various points in my life, leading me to desire a life of modest plenty.

Had I stayed on the track set for me, I'd be in law school.

I'm in the Army, saving to set up a shooting range and instructional center.
>>
>>33558496
go back to /biz/, faggot.
>>
I buy land near the borders of expanding cities. Sit on them and wait for big developers to come in and offer me double what I paid.
>>
>>33559049
I'd be willing to wager he had some startup help, like an inheritance
>>
>>33558496
A portfolio isn't going to stop Tyrone and Trayvon from stealing your wallet and raping your ass.
>>
>>33558683
Preach it, Sister
>>
>>33558496

I make enough money to do both.
>>
>>33558920

That's a great anecdote and all, but for every story like this, there is an equal number of stories about the party animals like you ending up broke, working at Wal-Mart and living in some shit hole apartment making just enough to get drunk every weekend and constantly pining for the "good old days".
>>
>>33558496
I have spent less than $1000 on guns and ammo, not nearly enough to get any kind of return on a "diversified portfolio."

Wait no I lied, maybe like $1500. Still not enough.
>>
>>33558496
My finances and retirement are in good order. Guns are just play money.
>>
>>33558496
why not both?
purchase surplus/historical guns that are likely to increase in value over time as part of your portfolio
>>
>>33559144
only if you buy new guns
Mosins are up 100% or more from 10 years ago
>>
File: Aaaaand-Its-Gone.jpg (21KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Aaaaand-Its-Gone.jpg
21KB, 500x281px
>Giving your money to someone else so they can skim the returns.

Also I don't anticipate retiring. Retirement makes you fat, slow and senile.
>>
>>33560000
World's most underrated and unchecked post.

OP, you go and live a meaningless life now so that you can live a lazy, ailing, meaningless life later. I'll be over here working and living while my body is still whole, and I'll keep doing that until it breaks. Then I will rest after having run a good race.
>>
>>33558496
Because for the first time in my adult life, being fully invested scares the shit out of me. Time to invest in lead and silver -- and, in the coming year, a small patch of land with power at the front. And not in Califailia.
>>
>>33558496
I'll be working until the day I die, no matter how I look at it. I'm okay with this.

I invest in my 401K and my Roth IRA, which considering I'm a blue-collar working stiff is a decent accomplishment. I'm also putting myself through school for a better paying career.

Shooting (1) is the only thing that makes me truly happy and care free other than spending time with/sexing the wife(2), and riding my motorcycle(3). I put up with all other aspects of life so I can do those three things.
>>
>>33566865
Why does investing scare the shit out of you? I've finally seen some returns on my portfolio after it being negative/flatlined for ages.
>>
>>33558935
Same

A Maverick 88 and a $400 or less carry handgun will cover the basics. Maybe a 22 for shooting for fun.
>>
>>33566893
Not him bit we have a few bubbles coming to the surface and automation of workforce is going to be interesting. Still going to invest but if you are looking to cash ou in the next 10 years it can be a gamble
>>
>>33558496
>spend money on guns
You know those niggers stole those firearms lmao
>>
File: 1453496682535.jpg (46KB, 306x476px) Image search: [Google]
1453496682535.jpg
46KB, 306x476px
>>33558496
>saving and investing fiat currency that has no value other than what you believe the government tells you
>expecting your money to NOT devalue by 97% like it has in the last 100 years since the federal reserve was created

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Taxation is theft
Inflation is too
>>
>>33567464
>board that averages in the early-mid 20's
>retirement and long-term income investments
>cash out in the next 10 years
"""no"""
>>
>>33558496
Because I already have more money than I have use for and I'm probably gonna die before retiring or not retire at all because of boomers ;^)
>>
>>33559026
I'm 29 and I don't feel any different than when I was 20. I just have better sense and more money. That's the only difference.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.