[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the mini 14 a decent weapon for home defence, or would I be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1081.jpg (40KB, 825x160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1081.jpg
40KB, 825x160px
Is the mini 14 a decent weapon for home defence, or would I be better picking up a different semi-auto? I'm wondering specifically about semi auto rifles btw.
>>
>>33557178
If cost isn't an issue and you can get mags for it and you like the look sure. If you said no to ang of those things get an AR. Just read reviews and know EXACTLY what you want before you'll buy.
>>
File: 1466735686243s.jpg (2KB, 125x70px) Image search: [Google]
1466735686243s.jpg
2KB, 125x70px
Mini 14s aren't known for being remarkably accurate, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you're fucking sniping people on your property.

I'd highly advise against a rifle for home defense though, OP. Rifle rounds will punch through a lot and best case scenario you have a fuckload of stuff to replace in a HD situation.

I'd just get a pump shotgun, a fullsize handgun, or a PCC if you're feeling schwifty enough.
>>
>>33557336
>I'd highly advise against a rifle for home defense though, OP. Rifle rounds will punch through a lot and best case scenario you have a fuckload of stuff to replace in a HD situation.
No guns detected. Self defense hollow point rifle ammo (ie. Hornady TAP) will penetrate through walls less than buckshot or handgun rounds.

>I'd just get a pump shotgun, a fullsize handgun, or a PCC if you're feeling schwifty enough.
>schwifty
faggot.
>>
>>33557178
If you can get an AR-15, get one...if you live in California like some of us...just sigh and focus on either becoming an autistic sniper with tacticool long-range bolt action rifles or soup up a semi auto shotgun for home defense.
>>
>>33557498
you can still get shotguns and handguns in cali
>>
>>33557219

What this guy said

Also if you have a wood fetish
>>
>>33557178
An AR would be cheaper any day but I like the look of the mini-14. I still won't buy one though.
>>
>>33557336
>pcc
>Schwifty
Stop.
>>
>>33557372
Really? Honestly didn't know that. I own an AR but I've never fed hollowpoints through it.
>>
>>33557372
>>33557775
Ah cmon guys, it's a good show
>>
>>33557178
it's fine
>>
i have a mini 14, i like it a lot. i have used lots of different AR's and i feel the mini 14 is easier to clear jams ans has a bit easier to manage recoil. that is the only difference to me. accuracy feels pretty much the same.
>>
File: The Ace of Aces.jpg (100KB, 1044x772px) Image search: [Google]
The Ace of Aces.jpg
100KB, 1044x772px
>>33557524
>>
>>33557336

any round able to penetrate 12 inches in flesh is likely to remain dangerous after going through a person
>>
>>33557336
>I'd just get a pump shotgun
You can stop posting now Joe, your last term is over
>>
>>33557178
The Mini-14 is excellent, though inferior to the AR-15 in every single way.
>>
>>33559824
not true. the mini can do things the AR can't and vice versa
>>
>>33559824
>every single way
>>
File: 9f9r16602h7y.jpg (33KB, 307x620px) Image search: [Google]
9f9r16602h7y.jpg
33KB, 307x620px
>>33559675
joe only advocated for doubley doos, not evil high capoacity assault pumps
>>
EU fag here, I own both a mini and an AR, for HD I'd probably use my 1911 but if I had to chose a rifle I would pick the mini, as it would probably look better on the pictures in the police report for the court
>>
>>33559993
like when you're in a cuck state?
>>
>>33557178
It's perfectly alright, but many will argue that an AR15 will just be better (and they're right).

But you'll have a quite good rifle anyway if you go for a Mini-14.

>>33557336
>accuracy
Mini-14s haven't been made with flimsy whipping barrels for over a decade, any 580+ series rifle should have no problem shooting 3 to 4 MOA out of the box, even when warm.

>proceeds to completely fail to fucking understand the concept of barrier penetration
Pistol bullets are generally heavier than rifle bullets, when it comes to typical interior walls in North America, a pistol bullet generally will go through a good couple of interior walls, while something like a .223, a fairly light bullet, but which goes at really high speeds, can have great terminal ballistics while having a low chance of overpenetrating interior walls.

This isn't to say that pistols, pistol caliber carbines, or shotguns (depending on loads) aren't viable for home defense, but the risk is higher if you miss and hit a wall.

You shouldn't be giving advice.
>>
>>33559824
Basically, it's only flaw/drawback is that an AR15 is just so much better (because the AR15 is excellent). The Mini-14 is still good if you look at it on it's own merits.

>>33557219
Mags aren't really a problem, it's not 1995, Ruger defudded and you can buy 20 and 30 round magazines from them like anyone else.

Bill was a clever inventor, but maybe not the best business man, the best boss, or the person with the perhaps best regard for the Second Amendment. After his passing, O'Fiefer REALLY took the company places, they've grown incredibly in the past decade.
>>
>>33562390
It's pretty good if you're in a cuck state, but now it's competing with the Ares/FiteLite SCR, which is literally an AR15 made to thumb it's nose at laws like those.
>>
Does anybody have experience with mini 30's. I want a semiauto in x39 but don't want to get smacked in the face everytime I go plink (Ak)
>>
Considering WW3 is about to start and I'm in commiefornia how fucked am I if I cannot buy a mini 14 until I get paid in 1 week?

I still have some other bolt actions.
>>
>>33562757
>3 to 4 MOA out of the box
Jesus. Is that really the best they can do?

>>33563059
Buy ammo for your favorite bolt action and practice with it, then. You're a citizen trying to potentially stop a mob, not a soldier who's gonna get in a firefight.
>>
>>33562818
They're alright, might get light strikes on cheapass Tulammo but there's fixes for that.

Ruger only makes 5, 10 and 20 round mags though so your only options for 30 round mags is ProMag. 20 isn't bad though.
>>
>>33557336
>pump shotgun for HD
heres your (you)
>>
How good would a SIG 550 be?
>>
buy a god damn ak
>>
>>33558632

>ar15
>recoil

wut
>>
>>33563100
Considering the barrel isn't free floated and the stock isn't inline with the action (which isn't inline with the bore), I'd say it's quite alright, it's very average.

I've heard some people say they can tighten it down to 2 MOA with match ammo. If you want to go subMOA then look at the .223 only Mini-14 Target (though it's expensive and 5.56 voids your warranty).

>>33563561
Hardly ideal but it beats a taser or pepper spray.

>>33563670
Maybe he doesn't want an AK?
Also the market for AKs is currently mediocre, the Yugo/Serb ones are the safest bet and they've gone up in price.

>>33563690
Maybe his only experience is some kind of overgassed SBR/pistol with an incorrect buffer.
>>
>>33563690
believe it or not some ARs kick. I hated ARs for years because my dad owned some shitty A2 clone when I was a kid that was very uncomfortable to shoot. I actually preferred shooting his chinese AK because it was easier on my shoulder. Fast forward to when I started buying my own guns and shooting with friends and someone let me shoot an AR again for the first time in years. I was blown away at how soft the recoil was and they all looked at me like I was an idiot. I thought maybe the technology had just advanced that much, but no, my dad's rifle just sucked.

>still don't own or want an AR even though I know it was a fluke
>>
>>33562384
Yeah. As I thought, a wooden stock rifle would look better for you in a courtroom than a black, tacticool, "assault weapon of war". Especially here, in Europe.
>>
>>33563059
Picking up my Mini 30 on Sunday.

From what I've read, you need to use boxer primed ammo, because the berdan primed is too hard and will eventually break the firing pin.

>inb4 what's the point of shooting the round if you can't buy cheap steel?

I love the look of the gun, don't care for the AK, and make enough to fire whatever it takes to feed it.

As long as you understand the limits as with any rifle, I've heard great things about it. Get what you want. It's a beautiful rifle. Especially since I'm in CA I'm able to drop mags and shoot without worrying about my scary black rifles if i go out shooting.
>>
>>33564475
Polish the boltface thouroughly, apparently that can help against light strikes.
>>
They used them in Rhodesia
>>
>>33566001
I heard using a stronger spring will work, too. Fuck Ruger for making you send back to factory to fix anything
>>
>>33557178
Good gun

Go for it OP. Way better than most ARs. Many are real shooters.
>>
>>33557178
Get a pistol carbine. A Hi-Point or levergun would be good.
>>
>>33567568
"Don't spend money on a gun with a good reputation and a long history; buy a cheap piece of shit instead!"
>>
>>33567590
Hi-Point carbines are good even if the takedown is pretty shitty.
Lever action carbines are great, too.
I fail to see an issue except that you're really trying to push some Mini-14's.
>>
>>33557178
I don't know, I've never used mine for home defense.
>>33567614
Why are you pushing shitty, outdated lever actions when op specified semi autos?
>>
File: raifu.jpg (296KB, 1200x1450px) Image search: [Google]
raifu.jpg
296KB, 1200x1450px
Mini 14 is a great rifle, don't listen to the AR faggots.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.