[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets argue about power armour and other likely future military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: pa.jpg (87KB, 1080x927px) Image search: [Google]
pa.jpg
87KB, 1080x927px
Lets argue about power armour and other likely future military technology.

What exactly is still needed to make power armour a viable combat unit, Is it just energy requirements at this point? Are we just waiting on some new super battery to come out?
>>
>>33551621
Probably waiting on advancements in plastics too.
Plastic armour would save a fuckload of weight, and allow plates to be put across more areas.
That and probably plastic case rounds to also save weight.
Beyond that it's just energy.

I'm also waiting on a decent army to publicly and overtly put their infantry/combat corps soldiers on Testosterone, probably 2mL a week of Test E.
>>
Plastics and batteries
>>
>>33551959
mg*
>>
>>33551621
Less spindly skeleton bits hanging out a foot away from the body. Seriously, stop that shit. Fragile and bound to get caught on anything and everything.
>>
>>33551959
>plastics to save weight
What about composites?
>>
>>33551621
That guy in the pic is checking this 5
>>
>What exactly is still needed to make power armour a viable combat unit

An incentive.
>>
>>33552505
I mean that 5
>>
>>33552448
That's why the armor has to be "complete". Something like the Iron Man suit.
>>
Stop fighting in dusty hot terrain
>>
File: Download.jpg (6KB, 305x165px) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
6KB, 305x165px
>>33551621
Power armour has existed for quite a while anon, it's just that making it human sized or human shaped is not always the most efficient way to use it.

>>33552448
This is just the most obvious reason.
>>
>>33551621
>ratnik

more like vatnik lol
>>
>>33551959
>That and probably plastic case rounds to also save weight.
kys dumb ass no-guns
>>
>>33551621
>Are we just waiting on some new super battery to come out?
Basically yes. Materials tech is already good enough for usable power armor, but short of putting a motor on the back there is no good way to power it for any useful length of time. It's not so bad for supply personnel who have to lug crates around, but it's unacceptable for combat use.
>>
>>33551621
Basically better everything with lower cost
>>
>>33551621
The most obvious limitation is battery technology. It's not just power armor either, practically every technological field is being contrained by battery limitations. Unfortunately, it seems we have almost reached peak performance we can expect out of traditional battery technology. Until we can make a breakthrough in batteries, true power armor will be out of reach.

That said, I don't see why things like Lockheeds HULC system aren't more common, especially for logistical personnel who can remain close to a power supply and generally don't have to worry about the same level of abuse as grunts.
>>
>>33551621
Well let's look at the potential uses for power armor, shall we?
1: Increased mobility/minimizing the amount of exhaustion and exertion
2: Reducing wounds and kills from small arms fire
3: Increased carry loads
4: Lets the soldier fight longer at peak efficiency
Now lets see what's some cost saving solutions for each of these problems:
1:Managing your combat load before each sortie and op
2:Using cover and positioning yourself appropriately
3: Training and conditioning
4: Same as three
Now, for problems three and four, the human condition can only take you so far. We put enough weight on our soldiers' backs as is. I agree that these have some great applications for artillery men, and maybe if you're going through an area where you suspect you'll be ambushed, but I don't see how it'd be effective. The evolution of warfare is action vs reaction, even a goatfucker would just start carrying more AP ammo or gun in a heavier/more effective caliber. I say it's fucking cool and we should do it anyhow, but beyond the artillery applications I mentioned and maybe civil engineering I don't see the use for it.
>>
File: 64572819458.jpg (952KB, 1280x1856px) Image search: [Google]
64572819458.jpg
952KB, 1280x1856px
>>33551621

Who needs power armor

WHEN YOUR MUSCLES CAN BE THE EQUIVALENT OF FLAK ARMOR
>>
>>33555127
so how many steriods does the God Emperor give the IG each week
>>
We /brotherhoodofsteel/ now
>>
>>33555644
Enough
>>
I don´t think power is the real problem. Even Chainsaws are pretty fucking strong compared to a human. Should be no problem to hook a small chainsaw motor to a generator to get all the power you need.

I guess the biggest problem is fine tuning and control. Running through uneven terrain is extremely complex. You can´t just slap a motor on your knees+ ass and expect to carry 200kg through the woods, over rock and stuff. You have to reinforce everything. Toes, spine, arms, maybe even fingers if you want your soldiers to pick up heavy things. Pretty complicated, even with modern electronics.
>>
>>33556128
>not the /brotherhoodout/k/asts/
>>
Could be done easily today

Why the US doesn't have it? Same reason they haven't procured any new ground vehicles for 30 years
>>
No one has seemed to have said it so here it goes.

Hand held rail gun rifles.

Gun powder weapons are loud, bright, leave smoke plumes, ect.

Rail guns projectiles will be faster, stealthy, and likely cheap to produce. All you need is a battery and projectile.

Any thoughts?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.