[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, I was given a Marlin Model 39A that my uncle had laying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: xEn9c7D.jpg (4MB, 6016x4016px) Image search: [Google]
xEn9c7D.jpg
4MB, 6016x4016px
Hey /k/, I was given a Marlin Model 39A that my uncle had laying around and had no use for. I took it to the range, and it kept failing to extract rounds after firing. The extractor looks like its fine, and the rifle doesn't seem to have any major problems. Should I send it in for repair to Marlin? How much would you think that would cost? Is it worth to repair or should I just sell it and buy some new rifle?
>>
>>33550135
Cleaned it?
>>
>>33550148
Yea, though it does seem to get dirty pretty quickly, little grit from what I assume is unburnt powder comes up.
>>
Also, can anyone suggest some public free ranges in BLM land near Pomona, CA? Only place I know of is 2 hours away in Joshua Tree.
>>
File: The-Marlin-M39-Rifle.jpg (93KB, 397x512px) Image search: [Google]
The-Marlin-M39-Rifle.jpg
93KB, 397x512px
>>33550159
Is the little ejector inside the action working fine? Pic related. If it is I suggest you take an empty 22lr casing and stick it in the bolt to see what it does when you try to eject it.
>>
>>33550135
Ejector spring could be weak. Could also just be that the gun doesnt agree with that brand of ammo, what were you shooting?t ry shooting multiple types of ammo?
>>
>>33550179
It seems to be working fine, though I'm not positive since I don't have any spent cartridges laying around. The thing is, the ejector isn't even able to come into action, because the cartridge is stuck inside the chamber, and I have to pry it out by using a pocket knife and putting it under the lip of the rim.
>>
>>33550198
I used federal and Remington. Federal usually is pretty good, the Remington golds are shit, but both had problems.
>>
>>33550214
>I have to pry it out by using a pocket knife and putting it under the lip of the rim.
Your chamber may be dirty as hell, it also sounds like your extractor isn't engaging the rim of the cartridge.

Also, did you notice any weird burns/cracks on ejected casings?
>>
>>33550231
They seemed to be a bit more "puffy".

What would you suggest for cleaning a dirty as hell chamber? Running soap and water through it, Hoppes, then light lube?
>>
>>33550240
Hoppes on a Q-tip should work. You might have a bad headspace if the cartridges are deforming. The barrel may be a little loose or not in properly, I recommend you look at a schematic or something to see if everything's there.
>>
>>33550256
Oh, and to follow that up you should probably dry out excess hoppes with a patch so it doesn't gum up the barrel or cause any malfunctions.
>>
>>33550256
Alright. It seems like this might be getting out of my comfort zone, so would you recommend I send it in to Marlin if I clean it very well and the problem persists?
>>
>>33550264
You could send it to either Marlin or a local gunsmith and let them have a look at it. Only reason I recommend going local is because Marlin may potentially take forever to get it back to you, but if it's of no concern how long it takes I'd say to go ahead and send it in.
>>
>>33550273
Alright, I think I'll try local first. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>33550135
the 39a is the gold standard of leveraction 22s dont sell it chances are it just needs a good cleaning. if you arent comfortable doing that yourself thats what the localgunsmiths for.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.