[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.military.com/daily-news/ 2017/04/05/navy-instruct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: 1440808301576.jpg (2MB, 2788x2085px) Image search: [Google]
1440808301576.jpg
2MB, 2788x2085px
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/04/05/navy-instructor-pilots-refusing-fly-safety-concerns.html

>In the last five years, physiological episodes, caused in part by problems with the oxygen system, have nearly quadrupled on the T-45 training jet, according to Capitol Hill testimony last week by senior naval aviators.
>Last week, a student from training squadron VT-86 in Pensacola, Fla., had to be "dragged out" of his jet because he became "incapacitated" from the faulty oxygen system, according to two flight instructors.
>Last month, there were 10 episodes in T-45s, according to Shoemaker.

Come on, USN.
>>
>>33540962

QUICK, SOMEBODY POST A LEMON SHOOP!
>>
>>33540962
They're just teaching student pilots how to deal with the hypoxia they'll get on the Hornets they graduate onto: https://theaviationist.com/2017/03/29/all-u-s-fa-18-hornet-models-affected-by-oxygen-deprivation-and-cabin-decompression-issues/
>>
>>33540996

OI VEY SHUT IT DOWN!

GLORIOUS RUSSIAN AND CHINESE PLANES NEVER HAVE ISSUES BECAUSE ITS NOT IN THE NEWS!
>>
File: lemonkek.jpg (245KB, 1920x885px) Image search: [Google]
lemonkek.jpg
245KB, 1920x885px
>>33540973

what are the odds, lol

>>33540029
>>
>>33541007

Somebody needs to make a lemon shoop of the J-20/PAK-FA for the lulz
>>
>>33540962
Kek they just wanna speed up replacement process
>>
>>33541029
T-45 isn't due for a replacement any time soon; the USAF have their T-X program to replace the T-38, but that's separate; T-38's been in service since 1961, T-45's only been in service since 1991.
>>
File: 1462855990381.jpg (71KB, 600x383px) Image search: [Google]
1462855990381.jpg
71KB, 600x383px
ooh ooh I can actually add to this thread instead of shitposting. My oldest brother is a NFO for the Black Aces. I spoke with him yesterday and they have had two instances in flying their superhornets that they have had to emergency land because o2 levels got too low. at this time, he says they are not flying and are waiting until something is done.

>yeah its not much to add but I feel like I can actually contribute for once
>>
Probably the same fault that happened with the F-22.
>>
>>33543766
Perhaps. My roommate is flying t-45s right now in Pcola. He was saying that in some cases, even after the student or instructor noticed signs of hypoxia, and reduced altitude to 10,000ft, it did not abate the symptoms, and they continued to get progressively worse. I was under the impression the f22 incidents only happened while using oxygen.

He was at the meeting the other day, and said a lot of the instructors were throwing hardball questions at the engineers and senior officers, to which they had no response, or a bad one.
>>
>>33543766
They both use similar OBOGS systems, so who knows?
>>
>>33541084
Wrong.
>>
OBOGS concentrates oxygen from the atmosphere using a filter material. It does not remove contaminants or other stuff like carbon monoxide. If the system becomes contaminated somehow it can also fuck up the oxygen concentration. There have been many, many cases of people getting hypoxia, going on emergency oxygen, and subsequently being fine. Every once in a while you hear about some terrible case where a guy gets really fucked up, and gets taken away in an ambulance.

The cabin overpressurization is a different issue. That one has caused debilitating decompression sickness in several pilots. A few of them will never be the same again.
>>
>>33540962

You know if nobody actually protested this, it would likely never get fixed.
>>
>>33544155
>>33543834
Apparently one of the big issues at the moment (and why the incident rates are going up) is that as the jets get older, oil, grease, coolant, etc is leaking out of parts of the jet and get sucked into the intakes of the engine and in turn, the ECS systems that run off bleed air. Those contaminants are then going into the lungs of the pilots.
>>
>>33545125
Roommate just got home, he said t-45s in Pcola are grounded, and would assume in Kingsville and meridian as well, until Monday (for 2 days, not counting the weekend)
>>
>>33540962
The T-45 is a fine aircraft. This is almost certainly maintenance issues, probably caused by Obozo-era shitty spending priorities and/or military affirmative action.
>>
>>33545226
Not sure if that's going to help; part of the reason that the engineers would have had no response or bad responses is because there's a thousand different things that can cause the contamination. Hornets / Rhinos are getting activated carbon filters, but I'm not sure they'll be sufficient, not to mention adding the filters might not be as simple as just threading something between two pipes.
>>
>>33545392
Oh it absolutely won't do anything. But at least now they can say "hey we grounded them to try and see what the issue is."

Then back to training.
>>
>>33540962
Whats the problem? Just open the window. Jeezus.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (18KB, 409x393px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
18KB, 409x393px
>>33547300
>>
>>33547300

That's really the thing about flying... It'll take your breath away.
>>
>>33545125

the F-15E oxygen system workbooks say something like "hey, you might smell a smoky/oily smell on takeoff, it's normal".

i got 100% O2 sometimes just because i hate that smell.

the AF's had oxygen system issues too, lately. the F-22's apparently based on a bad valve in the upper pressure garment, and the F-15's susceptible to hypocapnia based on your breathing rates. we've been doing ROBD training lately, but i do have to say i don't feel 100% that they've found the answer.
>>
>>33540996
don't forget the F-22 has a asphyxia fetish too.
>>
>>33549697
F-22s fortunately got fixed as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>33549776
Multiple different fixes, actually. Including automatic switching to emergency oxygen.
>>
>>33540962

>tfw got picked up for pilot
>tfw been dreaming of training in the t-45
>tfw might be literally forced to dream in cockpit due to lack of oxygen
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.