[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>People say you need a stainless rifle with a synthetic stock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: monsoon rain.jpg (18KB, 300x197px) Image search: [Google]
monsoon rain.jpg
18KB, 300x197px
>People say you need a stainless rifle with a synthetic stock to hunt in the rain
>In WW2 entire armies of men with blued guns and wooden stocks were mobilized everywhere from the south Pacific jungle to the misty shores of Alaska to the plains of Russia.
>>
>>33538602

One of the main reasons you don't hunt in the rain with a wood stock is it can warp over time and impact the accuracy of the rifle. Bluing will protect the metal but requires more care than stainless.

In WWII there was no suitable alternative to wood on a large scale.

Ultimately if you maintain your rifle well then it doesn't matter which.
>>
>>33538637
Modern wood finishes are pretty good at keeping out the rain.
>In WWII there was no suitable alternative to wood on a large scale.
There wasn't really a need for it. Wood worked fine back then, and it works fine today.
>>
>>33538713

That isn't what the guy at the gun counter said. You're just asking for trouble with wood. It will fall apart the first time a little moisture hits it. Thankfully my counter guy was looking out for me and sold me a Remington 770 with a synthetic stock for only $900.
>>
File: YzptfEW.jpg (59KB, 1230x917px) Image search: [Google]
YzptfEW.jpg
59KB, 1230x917px
>>33538942
We lost nearly 2 platoons in nam to timber stocks, charlie would sneak in over the wire and put water on it. Guys running around with splinters for days

God, I can still hear their screams
>>
>>33538602
There's a difference between a gun you want to look nice in 20 years and one you just need to keep running for a few years (if that)
>>
>>33538602

Most of those rifles were beat to shit by the end of the war, and had to be rebuilt and refinished afterwards.

I mean you're not wrong. You're just not right either, stainless/synthetic handles the elements better.
>>
>>33538602
Even the Russians have adopted polymer with the AK-74M. Wood looks prettier and weathers better aesthetically, but polymer weathers better functionally.
>>
I have found my stainless howa developed more surface rust than my blued howa.
>>
>>33538602
>what makes a service rifle good= what makes a hunting rifle good
You should reflect on your life choices, OP.
>>
File: 1280410355898.png (8KB, 344x341px) Image search: [Google]
1280410355898.png
8KB, 344x341px
>>33538991
I can hear the cracks wet stocks would make at nights... Quiet, quiet nights....*crrrrack* *crrrack*.....
The horror... THE HORROR!!!!!1111oneoneone
>>
In my experience I prefer hunting with synthetic over wood because of how much lighter it is....
>>
>>33538602
A synthetic stock is lighter. That's why people prefer them for hunting. Also they are harder to dent, chip, Etc.
>>
>>33541374
Plus, wood finishes are good today, but most of my rifles that have wood are only finished where it's visible, meaning up against the metal parts it's still open to moisture
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.