[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I have to google to find a place that teaches cutlass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 17

File: latest[1].jpg (13KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
13KB, 500x375px
What do I have to google to find a place that teaches cutlass fighting near me?

And what company makes a good cutlass?
>>
>>33533950
>And what company makes a good cutlass?
Oldsmobile
>>
>>33534157
top kek
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0cP6_SAAAQ
>>
>>33533950
>What do I have to google to find a place that teaches cutlass fighting near me?

Probably something like the string of words that you used to make other humans understand what you were looking for, perhaps in combination with your secret location.

>what company makes a good cutlass?

Cold Steel's aren't terrible but they're going to be machete soft so get good at sharpening. Condor's is decent but it's only 3mm thick, which I suppose isn't entirely unreasonable considering that cutlasses were cheap blades. You should probably hold off on buying a sword until you graduate from whatever practice gear you'll likely be using for some period of time but if you absolutely positively feel like you need to buy something then a decent machete can be used to practice cutting and sharpening.

Pic related is my go-to recommendation for a big blade for people who don't really know what they're looking for yet, it's cheap and sturdy and handles surprisingly well. Ontario makes one with a molded handle with an integral guard that I prefer because the handle itself is more comfortable, I removed the guard on mine.
>>
>>33533950
HEMA plus your city
look for a place that does dusack
>>
>>33535557
Is Dusack practice for all sabre, cutlass, and backswords?
>>
>>33535534
Well I know kinda what I want. I want like a Naval Cutlass.
>>
>>33535846
The dussack is an actual sword (relatively short, relatively heavy, complex hilt, slightly curved cutting sword)... but the leather practice weapon seen in meyer can easily act as a general trainer for any single-handed cutting sword.
>>
>>33535846
Dusacks are crazy short, they're basically a cutlass

style was it's kind of like saber/backsword but you can expect way more grappling and offhand use
>>
File: Ames 1841 naval cutlass.jpg (15KB, 600x233px) Image search: [Google]
Ames 1841 naval cutlass.jpg
15KB, 600x233px
>>33535857
>I know kinda what I want

I.E. you don't really know what you want yet.
>>
>>33533950
Condor has a cutlass machete for around $100 that seems pretty sturdy.
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Condor-Naval-Cutlass-Fixed-Blade--30454

They had a cheaper one with a plastic handle for around $50 but that got discontinued.
>>
>>33533950
what's the difference between a cutlass and sabre?
>>
File: 2ee.gif (141KB, 287x344px) Image search: [Google]
2ee.gif
141KB, 287x344px
>>33533950
Neckbeard academy
>>
>>33539771
A cutlass is basically a small saber.

In terms of technique they're about the same. Cutlasses are shorter due to the close in nature of ship fighting, but are relatively hefty for their size on account of how robust they are. They also have tough guards that are about the same size as full sabers (since hand protection is important in close quarters) and metal handles since wood doesn't last as long at sea.

Here's a more detailed explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsvPZkysXao
>>
ITT: you’re using bonetti’s defense against me, ah?
>>
>>33539864
I thought so too, which is kind of weird since OP specifically wanted cutlass lessons and not saber lessons.
>>
Buy an antique hanger on eBay.

A hanger is a short curved sword like a cutlass but for infantry.
>>
>>33533950
Buy an antique. I'd recommend the Dutch klewang. They're not that expensive if you shop around. Don't waste your money on condor or cold steel (save for their man at arms messer, which is surprisingly decent). They turn out wall hangers, not useful swords. If you just have to have a new one, hanwei, windlass, and lutel handicrafts make hangers of varying levels of quality.

http://www.thepirateslair.com/9-m1898-m1941-klewang-cutlass.html

These guys sell originals as they get them. Check out their British models, too.
>>
>>33539912
Hanger, cutlass, messer, cuttoe, and dussack are all names for pretty much the same thing. The differences come from geography, not martial or maritime use.
>>
File: Austrian-pioneer-sabre.jpg (10KB, 400x276px) Image search: [Google]
Austrian-pioneer-sabre.jpg
10KB, 400x276px
>>33541144
>condor
>wall hangers

Condor sells machetes that look like swords. They're not going to be super great swords but for reasons other than the reasons that wall hangers are not great swords.

I'm with you on getting an antique though, people really overlook how many decent swords are floating around for cheap.
>>
>>33541215
1800-1900 wasn't that long ago, and people were doing a lot of fighting back then
>>
>>33533950
Go to Kult of Athena and browse
>>
>>33533950
>What do I have to google to find a place that teaches cutlass fighting near me?
HEMA sabre fencing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsvPZkysXao
6:00
>>
>>33533950
HEMA is a good bet, just be prepared, every single place I ever studied longsword at has that one over-enthusiastic guy whose been there longer than everyone and thinks hes gotta "win" all the practices.

Like your just doing a back-and-forth trying to practice foot-work and proper form at a slow pace and this guy treats it like an actual sparring match.

You end up not getting any practice because instead of learning the strikes or footwork you just get alternating lectures and beatings for 45 minutes.

If you try to tell him to cool off and back off a bit you get a lecture, if you try to just fight him you just lose and feed his ego.

Every single HEMA place has atleast one of these guys, theres no avoiding it. The mark of a good instructor is that he knows which one of his students is THAT GUY and reigns him in effectivley.

The mark of a shitty HEMA school is when the instructor just lets THAT GUY run the place and nobody ever gets to progress due to his constant interruptions and silly stunts to prove how good he is.
>>
>>33543196
>Like your just doing a back-and-forth trying to practice foot-work and proper form at a slow pace and this guy treats it like an actual sparring match.

This just happened to me in October. This fucking faggot kept trying to spar with me during a longsword beginner session. I tell him to slow the fuck down because the instructor wanted us to learn the techniques at a slow pace. I'ts just an introductory class. Anyways, HEMA overall is pretty fun. Every hobby is going to have its retards.
>>
>>33543249
Yeah, I got one right now who sees it as his job to harass the new guy.

Any time I end up with him he gets super insecure and over-competitive. Hes some kind of higher end IT guy, I just got out of the marine infantry.

Honestly, I dont try to broadcast it or anything, he just found out and got super insecure about it.

Myself and the instructor both found out we like longer distance shooting and took our belted magnums out for an 800 yard shoot on the weekend. Very next week THAT GUY bought a .338 lapua.

He has no idea how to use it, hasnt ever fired at anything beyond 300 yards, but hes trying to depict himself as some kind of long range precision marksman all the sudden so he can come on our shooting trips too.

I cant stand to see such a nice gun be under-utilized and tried to give him pointers but he just gets super snappy and defensive.

Our instructor does a good job reigning him in but the try-hards are really irritating in HEMA.

HEMA also has this kinda loose informal underground atmosphere to it and theres definiteley guys in it who dont actually want new people to try it. Those guys are pretty insuffereable too.

"Oh, you do hema? How many years! Ive been into it since the 90's. Yeah, whats the medieval german name for the nails used in the soles of the boots of that era? Oh? You dont know? Dont worry kiddo, after youve been at it for 15 years like I have you might find out.(elbows his buddy) Fuckin new guys ruin everything amirite hahahahahaha!"
>>
If dussack is a specific sword fighting type, what do you call fighting or training to fight with a mace, club, other reaching bludgeons, and sword breakers?

Skeletons ain't got enough milk for me.
>>
>>33543329
Tbhdoe new people do ruin things once they arrive in large enough numbers to compelty replace the old guard before maturing.
>>
>>33545738
you don't, there's no real safe way to train blunts accurately and safely.

A blunted sword is relatively safe to train with but a blunted club is just... a club.

Fortunately training with swords pretty much gives you the background you need anyway.
>>
>>33539891
Implying the princess bride isn't dope as fuck
>>
>>33539901
Maybe OP lives on a boat?
>>
>>33543196
Sort of unrelated but on the flip side of this I've noticed an annoying trend in the HEMA community where athleticism/pure conditioning are discounted or even looked down upon because they're not "technique-based"

Only seen this once in my group, from some greasy motherfucker who came to our group and had apparently "been doing HEMA for 8 years." He condescended to me after a bout, said, quote, "you use your athleticism too much" and "my technique is years ahead of yours" because I basically hopped around him and picked at him with thrusts and zwerchhaus the whole time. Motherfucker! If you're so out of shape that you get too winded to use proper footwork 30 seconds into a bout then your "technique" isn't too good is it? This was a guy about my height and weight too, obviously a 240 pound submission wrestler bulling through a 110 pound girl is a different story.
>>
>>33546134
>I've noticed an annoying trend in the HEMA community where athleticism/pure conditioning are discounted or even looked down upon because they're not "technique-based"

They're probably fat fucks who think pure skill is all that would matter in a duel, skirmish, or battlefield. Obviously skill is important, but stamina and strength are huge pluses. It's not like they would hinder you at all. Improving your stamina and strength only helps you.
>>
>>33546113
Are they using rapiers or small swords?
>>
>>33533950
Hey hey.

First and foremost, you'll have much more luck with looking for the right terms: You need to find a singlestick class, typically in the form of a local HEMA group. Singlestick is the traditional martial art of the hanger/cutlass/cuttoe.

As for who "makes a good cutlass"... Thats open to debate. "cutlass" doesn't actually classify any specific sword, but a wide range of naval swords, both short and long. Do you have a time period, or nation of issue?

Where are you located, OP?

>>33535534
>Cold Steel's aren't terrible
Yes they are.

>>33535557
>>33535846
>>33536462
>>33536763
Dussacks, are not bad for basic hanger combat, but not all cutlasses are hanger length.

>>33539891
>>33546113
That whole convo makes sense if you know your historic fencing.

>>33542934
Wrong weapon form.

>>33546134
>>33546353
Its depends on your group. Sadly, there is no central HEMA authority, and some groups are decidedly toxic grognardfests.

>>33546431
Rapiers.
>>
>>33546445
>Where are you located, OP?
In NJ, and preferably a type of cutlass that would have been used on an HMS ship
>>
>>33546504
>preferably a type of cutlass that would have been used on an HMS ship

Not helpful. "HMS" means "his/her majesty's ship", and has been around for centuries and used by many countries.

Pic related, is one of many styles of British and American issued naval cutlass, and the general style and shape lasted many decades with minor changes.
>>
>>33546445
>>33546353
Yeah for the most part my group is actually pretty good about this, we have dedicated conditioning time after each practice which the aforementioned guy (and a couple other less athletic dudes) made excuses not to hang around for. I've also seen this mindset on a couple >tumblr blogs and some other corners of the internet.

Also, Gropey, while you're here do you know of any manuals that have modern jiu-jitsu/wrestling techniques? Arm bars and kimuras are cool but even basic stuff like wrestling shots/stuffs are pretty interesting to me as a HEMA dude with a catch wrestling background
>>
>>33546570
If that is the style that would have been most commonly used by pirates and scottish sailors during the golden age of being a pirate, or if it was the most effective design that is the style I would want
>>
File: No homo.jpg (163KB, 1150x746px) Image search: [Google]
No homo.jpg
163KB, 1150x746px
>>33546577
>Also, Gropey, while you're here do you know of any manuals that have modern jiu-jitsu/wrestling techniques? Arm bars and kimuras are cool but even basic stuff like wrestling shots/stuffs are pretty interesting to me as a HEMA dude with a catch wrestling background

Do you mean in historic documentation? Check out historic greco-roman, folk and glima manuals, and pretty much any fechtbuch.

>>33546603
>most commonly used by pirates
Would be whatever they could get, and would have almost no uniformity.

>most commonly used by scottish sailors
Would be whatever cast offs the English didn't want.

>the most effective design
Subjective opinion. I like the above pictured figure-eight straight pattern. I also like shorter, hanger styles.

i'll dump several styles in the next post.
>>
>>33535100
>coldsteel
>>
File: 1460881030812.jpg (88KB, 473x650px) Image search: [Google]
1460881030812.jpg
88KB, 473x650px
>>33546603
>>
>>33546678
Farthest left or farthest right
>>
File: cutlass.jpg (8KB, 406x166px) Image search: [Google]
cutlass.jpg
8KB, 406x166px
>>33546768
The two on the right are not cutlasses. The top is a cut-and-thrust sword, and the bottom is a smallsword.
>>
File: july2010webcat-3.jpg (129KB, 999x768px) Image search: [Google]
july2010webcat-3.jpg
129KB, 999x768px
>>33546789
>>
>>33546800
>>
File: FB_IMG_1488924075127.jpg (40KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1488924075127.jpg
40KB, 960x540px
>>33546811
Pic is my hanger from work. If you put it on a boat, its technically a cutlass.
>>
>>33546603
>during the golden age of being a pirate
Cutlass in its iconic form was kinda late to the party:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVwkX6vAB4
>>
>>33546859
What are you saying? Golden age is roughly 1650 to 1750. Pic is 1670's cutlass.
>>
File: 412341234.jpg (109KB, 1200x672px) Image search: [Google]
412341234.jpg
109KB, 1200x672px
>>
File: 341234123.jpg (376KB, 1280x1208px) Image search: [Google]
341234123.jpg
376KB, 1280x1208px
>>
Why are some straight and some curved?
>>
>>33547155
Reasons. Same with hangers and cuttoes. No specific lengths, widths, edges, points etc.

That is why I'd need more info before suggesting one for purchase. Studying singlestick is still suggested as a training form no matter what.
>>
>>33547182
Ok, I'll try that
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.