[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you all think about steel casing? >cheap >works

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: Wolf-Ammo-9MM-Ammo-115.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Wolf-Ammo-9MM-Ammo-115.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
What do you all think about steel casing?

>cheap
>works fine
>inb4 you have a shit gun
>>
>>33531494
i use it at public ranges to piss off the reloading vultures
>>
>>33531494
>>cheap
>>works fine
>>you have a shit gun
i agree with all of these things.
>>
I've never had a problem with it in any of my rifles/pistols.

Only issue I've ever had with steel cases is with my AR. The steel casings have chipped some of the finish on the shell deflector, but I really don't care about that on my cheap ass no name shit.
>>
>>33531494
The only reason I don't reload .223 or 9mm.
>>
How much do you spend on a box like that pic, op? Is it more or less than aluminum?
>>
Demolishes the finish on the inside of older gats.
Other than that not much.
>>
>>33531573
Good idea.
>>
>>33531494
Some people were telling me that they're hard on extractors and might wear them down to the point you'll need a new one, could be a fuddlore though.

Personally I've never had any problem with them.
>>
>>33531573
If you REALLY want to piss off brass vultures then get some brass plated steelcases.
>>
>>33531653
Steelcase IS tougher on extractors, BUT, it's not significant enough to worry, and for the money you save on ammo, you can afford plenty of extractor replacements and be fine.
>>
>>33531494
In case you haven't read it:
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
It will wear out your barrel significantly faster, but with the savings of steel cased ammo you would be able to buy a new barrel. That's with AR's at least. I'd imagine the same holds true with pistols, just not sure how many rounds it would take
>>
>>33531653
5k round mark is when you should start to worry on an AR
>>
>>33531655
As a brass rat myself, I just run a big ass magnet (which the range provides) over every thing. before even getting my jew hands dirty.

Also steel case is MILD steel. Some are even softer than brass. They aren't good for reloading (even if possible) becuase they have more tensile strength (not hardness)
>>
I never buy it oe pistols because it's not that much cheaper than brass. Unlike. 223, which I do consume a decent amount of.
>>
>>33531573
Verified as working strategy for eliciting irritation.

>be at range this morning
>looking around for brass before shooting
>"cheap steel shooting assholes"
>>
>>33531573
How big of a problem are brass vultures really? Do I not notice them since I already police my brass to reload or is it antisocial poorfags who go "no that's mine REEEEEE!"
>>
>>33531796
It's like anything else. Some people are respectful about it and some are assholes. Gets blown up on /k/ like everything else.
>>
What do you think of aluminum casing? Only had 1 FTF with it the other day, on the final round after firing 80.
>>
File: Wat8.jpg (115KB, 1280x856px) Image search: [Google]
Wat8.jpg
115KB, 1280x856px
>>33531674
>It will wear out your barrel faster

Kindly explain to me how something that doesn't touch the barrel wears it out.
>>
>>33531796
>Do I not notice them since I already police my brass
This. Whenever I'm shooting my handloads I never notice them but as soon as my AR comes out that old guy walking around with a cup to put brass in magically appears.
>>
>>33531887
There are always enough people discarding .223 brass at my range, I don't even worry about getting my brass back since I have buck loads of it sitting in my garage awaiting sorting.
>>
>>33531882
Not him but generally steel cased ammo is loaded with bi-metal bullets that supposedly wear your barrel faster but most people won't shoot enough to ever notice. Its about the only valid thing to be said about the negatives of steel cased ammo.
>>
>>33531917
Too bad steel and bi-metal jackets are really the only bullets for 5.45x39, save for Hornady ammo
>>
>>33531887
try shooting 6.5 jap or 8 lebel and see the line of old guys with cups intently watch you cycle the bolt
>tfw watch the veins when dump brass into hand
>>
>>33531882
Anon try to at least read the article next time. Then you could have avoided making this embarrassing post.
>>
>>33531662

Go watch ak operator union 5k round ak testing. Those extractors have plenty of life in them
>>
>>33532064
1) I said the advanced wear is basically not enough for you to worry about (and that the savings you make are more than enough to make up for it).

2) The AK is basically made for eating steel.
>>
File: IMG_20170404_141026.jpg (198KB, 1438x937px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170404_141026.jpg
198KB, 1438x937px
>>33531917
Something an anon brought up with me a long time back, when I asked about the same things. Pic related. Not sure if he was correct or not, truthfully I never bothered to check.
>>
>>33531494
You pretty much answered your own question, OP.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.