[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which of these three guns should i use for Home Defense? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0229.jpg (760KB, 3070x1262px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0229.jpg
760KB, 3070x1262px
Which of these three guns should i use for Home Defense?

I live in a house with multiple roomates so overpenetration is actually somewhat of a big deal.

I was thinking of setting up the AR since it would be much easier to use, attatch a light to and hit my target in the middle of the night, but I'd pretty much have to use earpro if I didn't want to go blind/deaf.

My glock is my daily carry gun so I could just put that under my bed at night and have it ready and loaded with hollow points, and only go partially deaf if i had to use it, plus It would look much better legally if I had to use it, but I'd be much more worried about missing with that thing as I lack the funds and time to train all the time with it, and I have to wonder, wouldn't a 9mm that missed penetrate far worse than a .223 that hit it's target.

I'm no expert on this stuff by any means, I'm a relatively new shooter that watches youtube videos on this stuff all day.

I could also get a shotgun, but honestly I'm not really into the idea. It would be just as loud as the AR and I'd have to work the action after shooting, which I don't really want to do in an HD scenario.

I mean I'll probably get a shotgun anyway just for the hell of it but Idk if it will be my home defense gun.

What do you think? I've seen a lot of youtube videos, some saying ARs are the best HD guns, some saying that they are too loud, too powerful, and too likely to overpenetrate.
>>
>>33523927
Use whatever you are most proficient with. I'd use the AR, also get a bayonet.
>>
File: beep bopp fbi.webm (514KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
beep bopp fbi.webm
514KB, 480x360px
>>33523927
>Which of these three guns should i use for Home Defense?

The one you are most comfortable with
>>
AR is less likely to overpenetrate than 9mm

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/07/14/why-high-powered-5-56-nato-223-ar-15-ammo-is-safer-for-home-defense-fbi-overpenetration-testing/
>>
I would use the Glock. Rifles are pretty unwieldy for home defense in my opinion.
>>
The odds of you ever having to use one are pretty much .000002 percent so take your pick it won't matter.
>>
>>33523987
At least for an apartment.
>>
Get a cheap 12 gauge and get some birdshot.
>>
I'd go for the AR, you should not get a great deal of permanent damage from a single event. Besides I would rather have some hearing trouble than have a dead roommate or be less than living myself
>>
>>33523927
Personally I'd use the Glock.

The AR would actually be better for preventing over penetration, but I find rifles to be a bit annoying if you actually have to try and clear a house or maneuver with it.

Bottom line is to use whatever you are the most comfortable with because that's what you'll do the best with under the pressure and stress of dealing with an intruder.
>>
>>33524171
Op here. Thing is I don't think I'd ever try to "clear" my house. I don't really have any valuable stuff outside my room anyway. I would most likely take up a defensive position at the top of the stairs outside my room if I thought there were intruders in my house, or I would be defending against someone trying to get into my room.
Like >>33523989 said, probably never going to happen, but who knows where I'm going to live in a year or two, or what the hell might happen in my city during the summer (since that's when shit always pops off) so I'm getting into home defense practices now rather than later.

Just loaded up a pMag with XM193 because that's all I have right now. My earplugs sling real nicely over the stock of the AR. I think i'll keep it under my bend, and hide it back in the closet when I go to work.
>>
>>33523927
Use the knife. If you survive, you'll know you earned it.
>>
You should move into your own place before worrying about home defense guns.
>>
>>33523927
Depends on which ammunition you would use and if you are concerned about shooting holes into the other rooms.
>>
Does anyone on this board ever clean their floors?
>>
>>33523959
that webm aint very tactical.
>>
File: slowfire drill.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
slowfire drill.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>33524738
21st century version here
>>
>>33523927

IT DAT CZ M8?
>>
>>33524795
No. Are you blind?
>>
>>33524795
No it's a Hi Fedora lol.
>>
>>33524772
>>33524772
>missing the truck
faggot.
>>
>>33524805

cool so what is it jackass?
>>
>>33523927
Get a flashlight for your AR
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/surefire-g2x-tactical-single-output-led/
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/smc-light-mount-1-00/
and some electronic ear pro
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7QJ9O
to quickly don before you fire any gun inside a structure.
All unsuppressed firearms are literally deafeningly loud, but anything with a stock on it is going to be dramatically easier to aim under stress.
>>
>>33523947
Don't listen to this guy he's retarded.
>>
>>33526004
Thanks. That light is actually cheaper than the one I was looking at, and those amplifying earmuffs are definitely something I should look at. Right now I have just standard plastic ones hung around the front sight/gas block,
>>
>>33524772
shit taste in slide cover plates, m8
>>
>>33523927
Attach SERPA under rifle barrel and carry other pistol as secondary like usual. Also works as vertical grip. Therefore you can use any of those in HD situations.
>you won't do it because you are pussy!
Picture with time stamp or it didn't happen.
>>
>>33528136
>electronic earpro
Or a can. Train harder. Put a flag in chamber and do floor clearing.
>>
Something small

Maybe hide it up Your ass.

A revolver maybe?
>>
>>33523927

None of them. Real men use fists.
>>
I own a Hi-power, and I would say that a handgun would be the better option of the two. Now, between the glock and hi-power is up to you and your comfort level with the pistol.
>>
>>33523947
seconded. You need a bayonet. Laser sight might help too, and a good muzzle brake would reduce the hearing damage and possibly flash.

dont put earmuffs on during a HD situation, takes time and you cant hear dindus creeping around in rooms you cant see if you've got fucking earmuffs on
>>
>>33523927
Me personally, I like my AR for home defense. I live in a very rural area. Over penetration, be damned. Also...

http://nypost.com/2017/04/04/man-who-killed-would-be-burglars-with-ar-15-wont-be-charged/
>>
>>33528508
Again I don't really have "rooms" it's just a kitchen, hallway and my room, which is where all my stuff is. The only HD situation I'd ever find myself in would be one like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bsAMSQ13bY

That's why I went with the AR. This is for "I'm pinned down in my room and there's someone at the door that I need to deal with" type of shit. My room is so small that getting to it would not be a problem, and if there's a door blocking my would be assailant then it might buy me enough time to put on earpro. I wouldn't have to worry about room clearing. What I would have to worry about is missing my target and possibly sending a bullet into someone elses room.

I'm going to get a light, some night sights (honestly hte large sight aperture on the AR is quite easy to use even in low light situations) and call it a day.

Like someone else said. None of this is going to happen, I am just practicing preparedness in general. Back at my old apartment I did catch someone trying to set the house on fire (the landlord owed him money) and I really wish I had an AR to light his ass up, but that's why I got into guns in the first place.
>>
>>33528136
>attach pistol to rifle
Nice try, ATF.
>>
Why not keep a flashlight next to your glock? Keep a mag loaded with hp and when you get home just put it next to the light, and be good.
>>
>>33523927
You act like a single bullet will make you deaf and you also listen to the pussies on here. You're not going to go anywhere near deaf from shooting indoors without earpro. Either way, get a cheap maverick 88. Like $200. It cycles 12 ga and is happy to sit in a police locker for a few months.
>>
>>33526364
hes retarded but you can't refute what he said? okay retard
>>
>>33533861
>Like $200.
For that kind of money he could get a X300U for his Glock or AR-15.
>>
None of the above. Get a 308 battle rifle with full auto and a few drum mags
>>
>>33524027
>birdshot

Git out
>>
>>33523927
shotgun
>>
>>33523989

We don't give a shit about the odds. It's the stakes that matter.
>>
Get some training first before doing anything stupid. Take from real experience from someone who had to survive a shit storm. Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre survived their economic collapse. Listen to the podcast. Very interesting.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-781-fernando-ferfal-aguirre-on-surviving-an-economic-collapse
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.