[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else remember their first time stepping behind the wheels/wings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

File: 1477331932228.jpg (126KB, 1020x766px) Image search: [Google]
1477331932228.jpg
126KB, 1020x766px
Anyone else remember their first time stepping behind the wheels/wings of an expensive military vehicle and realizing how trashy and old looking they actually are on the inside?

When I was younger I actually thought the million dollar equipment would be high-tech and provide a nice environment but hell no.

>inb4 /k/ operators have never been trusted with handling million dollar equipment
>>
>military vehicles
>expensive

Hardly. They're all 20 years old at least, too. Even our jet fighters are 40 years old.
>>
>>33517533

I was a truck driver at the military and I never operated anything close to a million. What did you drive?
>>
>>33517570
APC's
>>
File: DSC00479_zpsa150decd.jpg (115KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00479_zpsa150decd.jpg
115KB, 768x1024px
>>33517533
I was pretty happy with my Bushmaster, it had windows and a roof, kept bombs and bullets out. Can't complain... Oh I drove far worse!
>>
>>33517613
It looks quite roomy.
>>
>>33517570
Really? A designated truck driver?
>>
>>33517623

Yes.
>>
>>33517617
Yeah, plenty of room to fill up with tools, radios, water etc. Was well chuffed with it after driving old as balls Landrover's and the odd Mog around, even sort of had a new car smell.
Very heavy though, so you kind of have to remember just how damn big you are
>>
I was an airforce mechanic (not USAF but still western) for a few years, I was initially surprised by how ancient the technology in the cockpit was but it made sense considering the age of the jets, they weren't trashy though
>>
>>33517630
Wow. I thought they would simply use anyone with a license (which is everyone).
>>
>>33517638

Not how it works, no.
>>
OMG, Yes.
Fuck Hmmwv's. Cramped as fuck, AC never worked, always leaked when it rained, doors never stayed shut, most sat in motor T lot and never moved cause we didnt have the money to fix them.
Fuck 7-tons. I've spent to many damn hours packed into the backs of those with far more people and gear than we were supposed to. Great for naps though.
MRAPs and MAT-Vs were pretty nice. Much newer, more space, had real armor, and took IEDs like speedbumps.

No experience with much else.
>>
>>33517650
Why would anyone in the army need money to fix an army vehicle? Don't you just get the parts and whatnot delivered in crates or something?
>>
>>33517638
Negative.
You need a specific license for each class of vehicle. Which involved online classes and driving tests. We never had enough drivers. I avoided getting a license so I wouldn't have to drive. Made my boots get a license so they would hate their lives just a bit more than me.
>>33517630
>>33517643
You must be motor T.
>>
>>33517638
There's an mos for everything.

And those hetts used to move around tanks and other heavy vehicles are cool as fuck, regardless how pog they are. Even have bunk beds in the cab
>>
>>33517617
it's roomy until you pile in a few guys and a shitload of gear
>>
>>33517662
I was a Marine. And no. Each unit is given an allowance for each fiscal year. Being muhreens and no longer in war, we had no money. The military and gov't in general is terrible with money. I saw so much get wasted on useless shit or overpaid for cheap stuff. When deployed overseas, we have lots of money and exstra of everything. But when not in theater, no money and everything is broken as fuck
>>
File: fnss_kaplan_20.png (3MB, 1891x989px) Image search: [Google]
fnss_kaplan_20.png
3MB, 1891x989px
>>33517533
tell your defense industry to make better shit

or buy this stuff
>>
>>33517662
?

So you think the army just gets hundred dollar truck parts for free?

No it's a priority system, deplored units have the highest priority awhile training/nondeployable units are lower. If you are a technological branch, like the new cyber warriors you aren't going to get allocated much money to maintain vehicles, if you're a tank pure unit you'll have millions to replace expensive parts.
>>
>>33517690
also; it comes with 360 viewing glasses for the crew
>>
>>33517693
>So you think the army just gets hundred dollar truck parts for free?

Basically. I thought you guys sent all your requests to Uncle Sam and he would supply you when he could. I thought the military industrial complex was literally a communist system.
>>
>>33517563
how much does one of those cost in somewhat decent cindition (as in it doesn't break down by starting it up)?
>>
>>33517757
I dont think you understand Jeeps. A decent one of those is going to cost over 25k and even that is going to need some work.

You can pick one up for closer to 5k if you want to replace even more parts and spend a couple years restoring it.
>>
>>33517770
nice, thanks for the info
>>
>>33517757
A restored willys jeep costs around $25000 in Australia. That's all google told me.
>>
>>33517788
I don't need it necessarily restored, it just has to be in good enough condition to not being a huge pile of broken junk
it's still less than what I'd have expected, so there's that too, maybe I'll actually get one in the future
>>
>>33517796
If that's something you'd enjoy then go ahead. My Dad once bought a clubman car and suped it up a lot over a couple years. He made it the fastest car in it's class on Eastern Creek raceway for the last 4 years.
>>
>>33517788
>>33517796
Generally with gear like that its often cheaper to import them as most of them get around a lot of laws simply by virtue of age.
US has plenty of them, also check out the Philippines as they love them- finding an authentic one there might be hard, but they will have parts for cheap
>>
>>33517693
>if you're a tank pure unit you'll have millions to replace expensive parts.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>millions
>>
>>33517722
Actually most joes think the same thing. Only reason I'm so in tuned to it is because I'm an xo. I get to see the exorbitant checks uncle Sam is paying for parts.
>>33517814
Lookup the price of a tank engine. It's roughly 1.4 - 3 million dollars for a new engine. In a one week long training event my troop blew packs on 4 tanks, costing the unit 9 million dollars in required parts. So yes, millions.
>>
>>33517806
must have been quite the sight

>>33517813
thanks for the heads up, will look into it
>>
File: Arma3-flag-csat.jpg (24KB, 480x230px) Image search: [Google]
Arma3-flag-csat.jpg
24KB, 480x230px
>>33517690
CSAT when ????????
>>
>>33517852
No I'm saying we don't get fucking shit stateside. If it's not a literal deadline brigade doesn't want to give us any money, and not until it's deadlined. We are literally running 2 packs until they break and are able to be replaced because we don't have the parts, or money for parts, to repair them.

>troop
cav fag detected
Well I shouldn't talk shit, you guys have money apparently
>>
>>33517570
Truck as in a semi-truck or pickup truck?
>>
File: Otokar_Arma6x6_aka_CSAT_Madrid.jpg (136KB, 1065x460px) Image search: [Google]
Otokar_Arma6x6_aka_CSAT_Madrid.jpg
136KB, 1065x460px
>>33517865
Soon... Soon
>>
>>33517757
You get what you pay for with old jeeps

http://jalopnik.com/tag/project-slow-devil
>>
>>33517687
Army and same problems just with more money and even more people and stupid shit. Budget analysis and management is foreign to military
>>
>>33517852
>In a one week long training event my troop blew packs on 4 tanks
How is this even possible?
>>
>>33517951
You want shit broken, give it to soldiers. Cunts can break anything over a long enough time period, its just a matter of 'when' it breaks and the mystery of how
>>
>>33517674
Why were you so against driving?
>>
>>33517959
Spoken like true military
>>
>>33517951
Find a rock. Engrave a S/N on it. Issue it to a soldier. Collect it back after two weeks. When (if) you get it back, if it's not split in two, I'll eat my hat.
>>
>>33517690
Within 2 weeks of that vehicle being used by the army the interior would look like a crack house
>>
>>33517972
Think the funniest shit I've seen during a training exercise was when we managed to capture/destroy two Abrams, which at the time where quite 'new-ish' and the names of the guilty units shall remain nameless.
But somehow the first tank has bogged himself down in a puddle of mud and utterly fucked everything, shit and mud everywhere. His mate in the other tank has rolled in to drag his arse out of the mess and they'd managed to fuck that up beyond belief. So they all get out and have a good hard think about what they've just done.

Meanwhile... sneak up on them and let them know they're captured.
They where P I S S E D beyond belief and refused to play nice, so out comes the marital aids and zip ties, made them walk through swampy ass, filthy mud full of leaches and mosquitoes for 15km until they got behind the lines. Oh man they where so fucking mad you could boil water on them.
>>
>>33518046
>so out comes the marital aids
>marital aids

what?
>>
>>33518071
>>
>>33518078
Nothing that fancy, but tape and zip ties are standard wife making materials issued to us
>>
>>33518046
Why would they get out of the tank though instead of just sitting in it like the ending of Fury? Or did you only capture them because they were outside and didn't know you were there?
>>
>>33518129
>they were outside and didn't know you were there?
Yep, being a sneaky cunt is useful some times. They had some infantry with them, but sent them back to get help... which was their lesson for the day.
>>
>>33518137
What guns do tankers get nowadays? I'm assuming not M3s anymore.
>>
>>33518678
M4s. They have enough space for them.
>>
>>33518137
>>33518137
>but sent them back to get help

Seems suspicious, Abram's has satcom via BFT, along with a great radio...
>>
File: nice_steve.png (281KB, 371x532px) Image search: [Google]
nice_steve.png
281KB, 371x532px
>>33518707
>>
File: fghfgh.jpg (100KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
fghfgh.jpg
100KB, 720x540px
I lived inside of this thing for a deployment. We left before light and came back late at night.

She was perfect. All of you marys that want nicer interiors are fucking gay.
>>
>>33518727
>bft
>working

Good one
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.