[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lightweight barrels, what's your opinion? Is gov profile/med

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170402_205120.jpg (835KB, 1765x1310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170402_205120.jpg
835KB, 1765x1310px
Lightweight barrels, what's your opinion? Is gov profile/med profile really the best of all worlds for an AR?
>>
>>33515240
Govt profile is worst of all worlds and lightweight barrels or light sorta med countour barrels like the BA Hanson are god's gift to the ar15.
>>
>>33515240
very handy fast to point and obviously lighter so you can hold it up longer. faster to heat up than other profiles but also faster to cool. groups open up when it gets hot, but as long as you arent shooting for tiny groups, its not a large factor.
you might percieve an increase in recoil, less weight to absorb the shot
>>
Pencil barrels are the way to go imo. So comfy. They heat up faster sure, but they also cool down faster.
>>
>>33515240
lightweight is great and you are never going to heat it up to the point where lightweight is a horrible detriment in any practical situation. in before what if i magdump 6 mags and it starts stringing 5-8 moa groups.
>>
>>33515240
Not good for full auto. Govt prof is stupid.
>>
File: WP_20160122_002[1].jpg (646KB, 3072x1144px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160122_002[1].jpg
646KB, 3072x1144px
>Lightweight barrels, what's your opinion?
Perfectly fine unless you're magdumping for ten minutes straight, in which case you're either a Tier 1 operator that would actually make use of a SOCOM profile barrel or a frothing retard.
>Is gov profile/med profile
Don't even begin to lump medium-profile barrels, lacking in standardization they may be, with the unadulterated retardation that is the govt. profile.
>>
there are many ways to save weight, but IMO the barrel shouldn't be one of them
>>
>>33515525

just curious, why not? An AR is mostly aluminum and plastic, the only super heavy bits are the BCG and barrel. If you don't wanna fuck around with BCG weights and shit, the barrel is the next best thing. Unless you're magdumping, I doubt you'd even notice the difference between a med weight and lightweight barrel in terms of accuracy.
>>
>>33515525
This.
The barrel is effectively the gun itself. It's okay to compromise in other areas, but not the barrel.
>>
>>33515525
>you are now aware that the most common AR barrel profile is just a lightweight with a hunk of useless deadweight at the end
>>
Get a SOCOM profile and do some pushups
>>
>>33515240
Gotta go with the govt profile 16" or pinned 14.5" so you can scavenge M203s after TEOTWAWKI, dude
>>
File: IMG_20170303_225524.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170303_225524.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>33515578
Why does the government just make progressively worse decisions?
>>
>>33515647
can't really fault the gov for jarheads being their usual dumbfuck selves and not knowing how to clean a fucking barrel before dropping in straightness guages
>>
>>33515647
What bayonet is that and why did I never know it existed?
>>
>>33515667
+1, is that the chinese one or did you mod it, because no bayonet of that profile was issued, athough there was a german one people could private purchase. Those were M7's though.
>>
>>33515240
Unless you have a good reason not to, always go pencil barrel if you have the chance. They're thick enough to hold up just fine unless you're running full auto or doing multiple magdumps and then expecting to shoot sub-MOA right after.
>>33515647
They get tax money weather or not their decisions are good.
Don't like it? Stop paying taxe- OH THAT'S RIGHT they'll shoot you and your dog.
>>
I'd never skimp on the barrel. The more you've got, generally the more acurate it is. There's plenty of other places to save weight. I've got my complete lower, (stock, pins, everything in, ready to put an upper on and go) at 1 3/4 lb.
>>
>>33515647
>FUDD technical contract officer setting requirements for barrel revision
>"Gotta survive 100 mag dumps inna row cuz muh Audie Murphy!"

Now the requirement is set in stone forever because a research program based on new requirements would be $100M, better just stick with some old shit.
>>
>>33516233
>The more you've got, generally the more acurate it is.
no the better standards the manufacturer had when it was made the more accurate it will be
barrel profile determines how many rounds it will stay accurate for while it heats up
>>
>>33515965
I combined a reproduction 1917(?) bayonet and a cheapo one off Amazon. I may replace the plastic lug at the back at some point with one off a M7. It's not terribly secure, but I never plan on stabbing anything with it either
>>
>>33515647
where to cop that fucking spear senpai i love that shit
>>
>>33516271
The baseplate on the M7 is rock solid.

I actually just made a brass knuckle handguard for my M7 because I picked it up at a gunshow with loose handle plates and no scabbard.

>ITT we post our custom bayonets
>>
>>33515659
The problem of jacket fouling build up at the gas port was not unique to the Marine Corps. Every branch's armorer's manual for the M16A1 attributes a straightness gauge failure on bent barrels.
>>
>>33515303
>>33515511
>>33516161
People who know what they're talking about

>>33515309
>>33515525
>>33515553
>>33515592
>>33516233
Pants on head retarded answers from autistic neck beards who don't know what the fuck they're talking about but want to give vague answers to feel smarter than you
>>
>>33517389
Enjoy your POI shifting short range pleb
>>
File: 1490710505830.png (425KB, 680x986px) Image search: [Google]
1490710505830.png
425KB, 680x986px
If government profile thicker in some areas but thinner in the worst place would it still take longer to overheat since heat will be transferred to the rest of the barrel? Maybe not in full auto but shooting slower in semi auto wouldn't it hold groups better?
>>
>>33518108
Yes, generally the temperature will normalize across the metal.

Gov't profile is just stepped all crazy for the 203 mount, but even that's outdated with the new attachment methods.

Then again, the reason the M4 isn't shorter than that is the bayonet.

Parts compatibility with the M16 is still a thing, and they love that front sight, sling, bayonet base.
>>
>>33518108
Yes but the thickest part of the barrel is past the gas block in the least supported section of barrel. Also it's thicker furthest away from the chamber which is where you'd actually want more material. I wish tapered, fluted, medium contour barrels were more popular
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.