[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In terms of shotgun design, would a side-loaded magazine similar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: mgc-6.jpg (158KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
mgc-6.jpg
158KB, 600x401px
In terms of shotgun design, would a side-loaded magazine similar to what you see on a Sterling SMG?

And I don't mean "practical" or "intelligent", I just mean "functional". Like how would it affect shells (ideally brass cased) feeding since obviously this design was typically used on much smaller ammunition?
>>
It's possible. Practical? Hardly.

Basically open bolt full brass .410 and call it a day.
>>
>>33505971
It's really only been used on rifles/SMGs as a result of early people not knowing that going prone is nowhere near as used as simply diving for cover.

This they put mags on the side to make things easier in prone, thinking "fuck off hand shooting" and throwing any sense they had out the window.
>>
File: IMG_0143.jpg (46KB, 420x408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0143.jpg
46KB, 420x408px
>>33505971
Yeah you could do it but if it wasn't full brass and you didn't nave the strongest springs on gods green earth you'd kill youtself from all the feeding issues
>>
>>33506075
Hell, thinking on it, aside from the Saigas has there ever been a mag fed shotgun that was box mag fed and had no problems with deforming shells and shitty spring pressure?
Even the Saiga has problems with shells deforming.

A tube mag slapped on the side might work though.
It would even reduce the load on the "lifter" which would now just be a loading cam.
>>
File: fieldjuly7-12-8237.jpg (596KB, 1500x805px) Image search: [Google]
fieldjuly7-12-8237.jpg
596KB, 1500x805px
>>33506010
>simply diving for cover.
>>
File: Cobray Terminator.jpg (33KB, 617x318px) Image search: [Google]
Cobray Terminator.jpg
33KB, 617x318px
Sure, Cobray Terminator could have been fed like that.
>>
>>33506234
Not bloody likely.
>>
>>33506107
low cap shotguns with 2-3 rounds were fine. its when you add more capacity you run into issues.
>>
>>33506107
Think its just 'physics' really in that you're moving some mass around- very heavy bolt, large recoil springs, heavy shells and all that just sort of adds up to something which is going to beat shit up as it functions.
>>
>>33506263
Clearly this open bolt machinegun could easily be modified for full auto fire and must be banned
t. Dogkiller
>>
We had a thread a while back about homemade weapons. Shit turned into speciulating how awesomely dumb, heavy and impratical would full giggle 12ga STEN would be and how we want one. I still do.
>>
>>33506980
>We had a thread a while back about homemade weapons. Shit turned into speciulating how awesomely dumb, heavy and impratical would full giggle 12ga STEN would be and how we want one. I still do.

A 12 round drum fed full auto short s
shotgun with a three shot tube would be fucking mental.

The Irish volunteers had a revolver based homemade one in the 1916 rising
>>
>>33506850
There never was a ruling or opinion like that from the ATF, nobody made it feed from a magazine, and it was never considered readily convertible (because it isn't), it was just Cobray trying to recoup some costs after having some shotgun barrels made (from an early AA12 developmental run that never happened), the idea was to use parts they had to make a shotgun as cheap as possible.

Of course, this turned out to be kinda terrible, and even at a really low MSRP they saw pretty much no sales and just discontinued them (I've heard some say they only ever sold a few hundred of them, which may or may not have entailed the majority of the barrels they has previously made).

If the ATF ever looked at the Cobray Terminator, their thoughts were probably just "God, what a piece of shit."
>>
>>33506215
This isn't the 1860s anymore, battles aren't fought in open fields.
>>
>>33508881
>dive for cover
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.