[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey gang. Several years ago, my dad ND'd a .38 special indoors.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: EEEEEEEEEE.jpg (33KB, 560x250px) Image search: [Google]
EEEEEEEEEE.jpg
33KB, 560x250px
Hey gang. Several years ago, my dad ND'd a .38 special indoors. I asked him how badly it and how long it messed with his hearing and he said it wasn't that bad, but he is getting up there in years and is a little hard-of-hearing anyway. My question is how bad is the
>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
from shooting sans earpro?

Side question: I've heard that liquid vitamin E oil taken immediately after hearing trauma can mitigate permanent damage. Is this legit?
>>
>>33502095
depends on the gun honestly, but a couple rounds outdoors isnt too bad.
>>
>>33502095
1 or 2 rounds isnt bad, but it's prolonged exposure to loud noises that really fucks you

listening to loud music with earbuds daily for a week is arguably worse for you than a gunshot indoors
>>
Most hearing damage is cumulative, and it can sneak up on you later in life, or it seems not that bad when it first happens but then it becomes worse on it's own as you get older.

One .38 Special without earpro isn't good, a .223 or few indoors is pretty bad, but it's all a shitload better than shooting a brick of .22LR in an afternoon because that tinnitus is gonna come crashing through your door like the Kool-Aid Man.
>>
>>33502095
Everyone is such a pussy about this. One gunshot wont kill you, it'll be loud and your ears will ring for a while but then you can avoid posting shit threads.

Only one though, hearing damage is no joke.
>>
File: sucks.png (160KB, 500x677px) Image search: [Google]
sucks.png
160KB, 500x677px
>>33502356
>tfw I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember
>>
File: skrillex.png (216KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
skrillex.png
216KB, 700x393px
>>33502727

>tfw shoot no earpro
>badass.jpg
>get tinnitus
>get Hyperacusis
>mfw now even though hearing goes away everything is super loud for no reason
>>
>>33502095
wear your earpro kids
>be me
>be usually conscious about wearing earpro when young
>join military
>couple of times being near gunfire/explosions with no earpro
>nothing serious methinks
>get out
>notice EEEEEEEE creeping up on me a couple years later
>talk to VA doc
>yup you've got hearing loss and tinnitus, don't let it get any worse, apparently people have it so bad they're almost deaf because of and some have killed themselves
Mines not terrible, I only really notice it when it's quiet or I'm alone. Sleeping with a fan helps. It will never go away. It's almost infuriating at times, but you learn to live with it after a while.
>>
>>33502095
>Hey gang. Several years ago, my dad ND'd a .38 special indoors. I asked him how badly it and how long it messed with his hearing and he said it wasn't that bad, but he is getting up there in years and is a little hard-of-hearing anyway. My question is how bad is the>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEfrom shooting sans earpro?

I'm in my 40s

As a kid I spent a lot of time rough shooting with 12 shotguns and 22s no ear protection. Later spent months firing 7.62308 without haring protection. Have had partial deafness from assisting on 12.7 NSV etc

My hearing is perfect, very acute. I hate headphones though and never use them

I prefer to shoot with silencers anyway at ranges for s bunch of reasons when I go now.
>>
>>33502095
Used to shoot supersonic .22 LR all the time with no ear pro.
Fired a few mags of 9x18 without, and fine.

Other than that I have nothing to contribute.
>>
Earpro is for pussies.
>>
>>33505733
>Earpro is for pussies.

Nah, its a good idea and fine and all but all I'm saying is I've had a lot of exposure and my hearing is mint. One gunshot or even months of it does not do it. Years maybe.
>>
>>33505733
You say that, but I doubt you've ever had to sleep in a truly quiet area and had nothing to listen to you except that goddamn fucking ringing.
>>
>>33502095
>: I've heard that liquid vitamin E oil taken immediately after hearing trauma can mitigate permanent damage. Is this legit?

No. WTF does vitamins have to do with physical trauma in your ears?
>>
>>33502095

I've been shooting since I was 12. I've played drums in rock bands since I was 16.

I do wear hearing protection when I'm shooting, I don't when playing .

If your ears are ringing after being subjected to loud noise, it is said that you will suffer permanent hearing damage. While I don't disagree, my hearing is better than most people, and is far better than my older brother's, who rarely shoots and doesn't rock.

Ear plugs or a head set is a must when shooting, even .22s.
>>
>>33502095
one time without ear pro shouldn't be that bad. You can still cause damage but more or less damage comes from repeat exposure. Definitely don't try it though. The bigger the caliber the more likely than not you WILL fuck up your hearing, even if it's just once.
>>
>>33505733
This is true. The best way to protect your hearing is bravado.

Please note that this goes for all forms of safety equipment. All unnecessary, just stop being pussies and you'll never get hurt by anything.
>>
A couple of months ago I had to get my hearing checked for work related reasons and it was found to be just fine.

However, I sometimes get pretty intense tinnitus out of the blue. Most of the time it happens when it's quiet, but shit keeps acting up at the most random moments.
>>
>>33509377
I had to shoot a firearm indoors several times for a home defense situation, its been around a year and I have to sleep with a fan on
>>
I was a soldier for several years. I was too close to a 5.56 firearm discharging once without earpro, inside of a large airy hangar-like building, a few meters away on the otherside of a plywood wall (in a "killhouse").

I lost all hearing around 6 mhz and I have trouble hearing when there's a lot of background buzz.
>>
File: Just Bypass my life fam.jpg (3KB, 164x168px) Image search: [Google]
Just Bypass my life fam.jpg
3KB, 164x168px
>TFW you have actual super sensitive hearing
>TFW everything is louder than what normies hear
>TFW I really can't enjoy fireworks
>TFW I will never know if I have tinnitus or not because the audiologist said I can hear shit as quiet as 10-12 db (average hearing cutoff for average human adult is around 20-25db)
>The hearing test showed that I can hear higher pitches and lower pitches than most normal people
>TFW going to the gun range might be a miserable experience.
>MFW
Tl:DR; Super hearing sucks ass
>>
>>33502853
Tinnitus can be congenital. I have it. Along with perfect hearing which researchers say shouldn't be possible.
>>
>>33502095
1 ND is not gonna mess up your hearing. My cousin ND a 12 gauge in my 100 sq. ft room and none of us ever had and hearing damage other than the mandatory ring for about 15 minutes.
>>
I never can tell if those people saying 15 minutes of ringing or whatever are joking or not. Is this some sort of /k/ joke I missed from back in the day or what?

Or are you just a bunch of slack jawed faggots?
>>
File: IMG_20170202_004644.jpg (4MB, 4781x3586px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170202_004644.jpg
4MB, 4781x3586px
>>33505733
Back then I was as stupid as you are, now I'm deaf and have to wear a CI. It's not worth losing your abiity to hear just because earpro doesn't look cool in someones eyes
>>
>>33509377
Same here. Luckily it doesn't last for long but sometimes I get a loud ringing in my ear which promptly vanishes.
>>
>>33510555
See
>>33510276
>>
>>33502095
The first time I shot an AR I went through 3 mags without earpro. After the first shot it wasn't too bad since my ears immediately started ringing, but it only lasted the rest of the day. I don't think it permanently damaged my hearing, but I've used earpro every time I've shot since.
>>
>>33502095
a few rounds total over your lifetime might not hurt your hearing that bad.

Do not shoot more than that without earpro or you are asking for shitty hearing.
>>
>>33510585
I have it constantly, sometimes it flares up to sound almost like a siren for a couple minutes, then goes back to normal background static
>>
>>33502853
>>33510369

same as you. although i can't here people talk half the time even though my hearing is medically perfect.
>>
>>33511338
can you explain what one of those "sounds" like compared to natural hearing? also what it sounds like when u disconnect it? im curious
>>
>>33502095
I can speak from experience, having stupid redneck friends. We had a couple entire shooting sessions without earpro in college when we were even stupider than we are today.

>12 ga. and Mosin 91/30: Not that bad really. EEEEEE for a couple of hours.

>Medium to large handguns: Pretty bad. Muted sound, intermittent pain and EEEEEEE for about two days.

>Mosin M44 or equivalent short-ish full-sized rifle: Really bad, don't do it. Roommate has permanent hearing loss in one ear from this.

Protip: If you forgot your earpro at the range, an ushanka hat tied tightly helps a little bit. (and I'm convinced it helped my aim with the Mosin)
>>
>>33510361
>
look at fuckin dumbo over here
>>
>>33510361
Just go to an outdoor range and double up on earpro anon, shouldn't be too bad.
>>
>>33502356
yea, didn't someone bill it as you not being able to pick up on really subtle sounds, which makes it seem like your hearing is still intact? Until after a lot more unprotected abuse, you may or may not come to a realization that you can't hear a range of things that you used to?
>>
>>33511338
>doesn't look cool in someones eyes
I don't know, those $$$ electronic earpro look pretty rock'in
>>
>>33510361
the biggest thing about indoor ranges isn't necessarily the sound, it's the concussive waves you feel. It's something to hear something loud, it's another to also FEEL that sound. Like if lightening were to strike close enough that you feel that shit in your chest.
>>
>>33502201
I can attest to that personally. Used to listen to metal with high volume, especially when working out. Now I have partial hearing loss and some tinnitus, especially in one year. Im only twenty-five too. It sucks but I've learned and now do my best to avoid excessive exposure.
>>
>>33506033
It prevents formation of scar tissue. Might actually be legit but minimal.
>>
>>33514539
Protip: If you forgot your earpro at the range, go the fuck home or buy a new pair at walmart.
>>
>>33502095
as has been said in the thread, it depends on the gun and the environment
The one time I forgot to put in earpro was when I shot a 44-40 next to a mountain and almost busted my eardrum.
>>
>>33502095
as has been said in the thread, it depends on the gun and the environment
The one time I forgot to put in earpro was when I shot a 44-40 win 92 next to a mountain and almost busted my eardrum.
>>
>>33510361
Blindfold yourself and become a hero.
>>
I've blasted AKs indoors without earpro before. Don't ask why. You won't notice any appreciable depreciation from just a handful of loud bangs. Yes it's cumulative, but it takes a while to get there.
>>
>>33502095
Back when I was younger and dumber, I used to go shooting at an abandoned military site. It's since been bulldozed and turned into one of those garbage and spent brass filled public ranges that make you feel dirty after you go shoot there, but back then the buildings were still there and local LEO agencies would use the buildings for live fire training. The doors were fucked and the walls were all shot up, so our dumb asses thought it was fun to kick open doors and blast shit with 12 gauges and .22's inside of the buildings. Several times we forgot our earpro and just shot without it. When that happened it was obvious damage was being done, but it's not like how some people claim it is, with the shooter getting disoriented and things like that. I've also fired .222 Remington, .223/5.56, and .243 Winchester outdoors without earpro on, and .45 ACP indoors without earpro.

The only time I've actually been disoriented by shooting a gun was shooting overpressure .243 Winchester handloads from my grandfather's gun when I was thirteen and that was outside with earmuffs on. The earmuffs weren't sealed around my ears properly and my right ear took it like I wasn't wearing earpro while my left ear just heard the muffled report. I immediately got dizzy and almost fell over from my kneeling position.

Does it do damage to go without ears? Yeah, duh. Does it disorient you and make you unable to keep fighting? Probably not, at least not with pistol calibers, intermediate calibers, or shotguns. Just don't go shooting a 16.5" G3 in your bedroom.

As a side note, I played bass in a punk band and I've been to a few shows in tiny concrete walled venues, and a couple of hours of that will most definitely fuck your ears up more than shooting a gun a few times without your earpro. Things like spending several years sitting next to a vending machine or something with a loud fan at work will also do permanent hearing damage, so just be aware of your surroundings.
>>
>>33513564
>can you explain what one of those "sounds" like compared to natural hearing?

It's been ~8months since the operation, and I forgot how the real world sounds (I have 2). Of course, in the beginning everything sounds way too bright, as if a monkey would ring a bell everytime you hear words and other noise.

>also what it sounds like when u disconnect it?

Absolutely nothing because, well, I'm deaf
>>
>>33519748
weird man
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.