[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to get into reloading .308 and 30-06. Never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

File: 911eEd6uS0L._SL1500_.jpg (273KB, 1500x1470px) Image search: [Google]
911eEd6uS0L._SL1500_.jpg
273KB, 1500x1470px
I'm looking to get into reloading .308 and 30-06. Never done anything like it before. Is the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit a good investment? Where should i get powder/primers/bullets? Also general tips and tricks of the trade appretiated
>>
>>33501633
any turret loader is fine. make sure to buy a reloading book. read it.

any gun shop with reloading supplies should be ok since 308 is common enough. is this bolt or semi? if semi then start a grain light on powder.
>>
>>33501633
The RCBS kits are good starters for you to try your hand at reloading. I would pick up a few manuals as well. However, If you decide to stick with it, you will probably replace a lot of the kit with better components.

You should also look into a tumbler for brass cleaning. You can get Zilla Desert Blend Lizard Litter from Petco for cheap tumbler media.

You can buy powder and primers online, but hazmat will make shipping horrendous. Online orders will have to be for bulk quantities to make the hazmat fees reasonable. Look to local gun stores for powder and primers if possible. Buy bullets from wherever is cheap.
>>
Yes, RCBS is great and that's a nice a good setup. You may want to get a powder trickler; extruded powders "throw" fairly innacurately. If you can muster up the $, the Chargemaster 1500 is one of my favorite additions for reloading.

I've only got a Lee classic turret press which is great for the turret aspect, but their is a bit of slop in it. Not that it effects the load quality, just that it doesn't feel great.
>>
>>33501633
RCBS is a great starter kit. If you get the kit pictured you will be good for .308 and 30-06 after you get some dies and components.

Even though I moved over to a progressive press, I still use my RCBS parts for de-priming, re-sizing, and I use the hand primer and scale still too to check loads and to prime odd ball brass.

Its a good first kit.

I would get a baffle for the powder thrower, but that is about it to get going. I will post pics if I get a chance in a second.
>>
>>33501736
Both are bolt.

>>33501768
I've got a tumbler on hand - watching a lot of the videos online I see people using stainless steel media - is it a personal preference thing or is there some advantage to each?

>>33501772
I'll have to keep that in mind for down the line - using tax return money up to get a solid setup for reloading and I wont have enough to get that off the bat.
>>
>>33501633
Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy the bullets from a store?

I mean factories use robots to make several thousand bullets each hour while having several robots each so how can it be economical for you to make your own?
>>
>>33501823
The baffle is way to much money for what it is.
Download the template and cut it from either sheet aluminium or one of the lplastic cards credit companies mail out.
>>
>>33501844

just use crushed walnut and ruge. buy the ruge online and get crushed walnut from a hardware store. its cheap and does a very good job. the steel for for really bad ammo that is rusted to hell.

since bolt just load the recommended load of powder.
>>
>>33501847
You forget people charge profit.
>>
I get that the turrets themselves are usually good, but everyone says "oh the stuff they come with are good for beginners, but you'll eventually replace them with better parts :^)"

Just what the fuck are examples of the better parts? I want names or links or something. Trying to get into reloading .357 mag
>>
>>33501847
From what I understand you can cut a little cost - a few to double digits cents or so per round - if you sacrifice some free time. I figured it would be something neat to know how to do and because I need a hobby anyway. Plus you can get into making specific loads for different uses if you want to.
>>
>>33501907

this

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/363062/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-38-special-357-magnum
>>
>>33501844
> is it a personal preference thing or is there some advantage to each
> both

I use an ultrasonic to clean brass from the range to get carbon out of primer pockets. I then use a dry tumbler to clean and polish brass after sizing. Stainless steel cleaning requires a wet tumbler, and while effective, they're not without problems.
>>
>>33501936
Are those shitty reviews warranted? Or is it user error.
>>
>>33502026
probably user error. I have seen review on you tube where people have these working ok. I would not know since i use a turret.
>>
>>33502026
Warranted.
Lee progressives require a fair amount of tinker skill to keep running. The primer feed and pwder thrower are especially prone to jamming and failing. Lee stuff is cheap because of cheap construction, it simply does not last as well as the other companies gear.
>>
I was also going to look into reloading shotgun shells, is that a significantly different process?
>>
>>33502403
Very different, and a lot more fun since you can make a lot of different types of loads (dimeshot is a must-try for every person new to shotgun shell reloading). The one major difference is that a lot of reloaders like to melt down their own slugs or BB's from lead ingots, it's up to you whether you'd do that or just buy pre-made ones, but let me tell you there are few grander things in life than making your own tracer slugs
>>
>>33502134
ok what other companies would you suggest then for a turret loader? .357 mag if it matters
>>
>>33502606
I haven't looked into shotgun reloading at all, but I've got a couple 12gas and a 20ga. I enjoy shooting clays every now and again. Maybe I'll go for a shotgun press here shortly. Any recommendations for beginners? Are there starter kits like the rifle set in op?
>>
>>33501633
all I can say is I wish I got a single stage. They're super cheap and can be used for decapping or sizing bulelts when you upgrade to a better press. A turret press is fine, but you'll probably end up selling it and getting something better later on while with a single stage, is already so cheap and retains some usefulness, you may as well keep it. So if you're looking at a single stage kit, I'd say go for it, if you're looking at a turret kit, then make sure it's exactly what you want or just save the money for a progressive.
>>
>>33502762
Any name brand american company will produce a good press, lee is just chinese shit
>>
>>33502762
Don't bother with a turret press. Quick change bushings made them obsolete.
For a progressive look at the Hornady LnL or the RCBS ones. Dillon is good but pricey to get the same options.
>>33503153
No real point loading regular loads for shot. Small MEC or Lee units work okay for small batch loads.
For playing with slug or buck loads the RCBS shotgun dies work great. RCBS also makes the cowboy shotgun dies for the brass cases.
>>
File: 20170203_202526.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px)
20170203_202526.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
I like my pro1000.... It craps out a lot of pretty good ammo and that's all I ask of it... For rifle I do everything on a single stage lee breech lock press with a crap ton of bushings...
>>
File: 1490574613395.jpg (15KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
1490574613395.jpg
15KB, 480x451px
This is the most civilized conversation I've ever seen on 4chan
>>
>>33501633
It's not that hard and there's plenty of info on the net if you're willing to look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irC3NuIKDm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZsSypNHco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M15KgSz10d0
>>
>>33503638
I've watched quite a few videos at this point and it looks easy enough. Ive just received some pretty good advice here before, and since it is the guns board I figured I'd see what everyone had to say before I took the leap.
>>
>>33503723
I'd say it is worth it, you save money and get better quality ammo than store bought stuff.
>>
>>33501847
no. you can reload a lot cheaper. Not to mention for some shooters who hunt or do competitions, they finely tune ammunition to a specific rifle. And also, some people shoot a fucking lot, like 2k rounds a weekend twice a month kinda shit.

There's a lot that goes into it, far more than I can sit here and type out on mobile.

TL;DR reloading is good for cost cutting and fine tuning ammo.
>>
>>33503283
because this is a thread full of scientists.
>>
File: 14911026112661356962690.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
14911026112661356962690.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
Recommend me a new press.
I've been reloading on a Lee progressive and I'm tired of tinkering with it. People have told me Lee is shit, so show me where I should put my money.

>tablet posting I know pic is potato
>>
>>33503925
Dillon RL550c
>>
>>33503925
People like to talk shit to defend their brand. Lee isn't the Cadillac of reloading, but it's not bad either. I've never had a single issue loading anything from plinking 38 spl to match .308
>>
>>33504009
I've had some issues with powder throw, and also a lot of rounds going in the case at an angle causing them to not fit in my go-nogo gage.

idk if I'm doing something or if it's the equipmental because it happens sparatically.
>>
File: 436640.jpg (183KB, 2200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
436640.jpg
183KB, 2200x1650px
Is this a decent intro piece for shotgun reloading or am I better off getting something higher end? If anyone here does regular shell reloading I'm open to suggestions
>>
>>33504055
Do you clean your dies often? I had issues loading .223 after a couple thousand and my dies were pretty dirty, messing shit up. As for the powder thrower, IDK, I'm running an auto disk.
>>
https://discord.gg/G6c6mTG
>>
>>33504093
I've seen every reloaded on YouTube use it.

Pro tip: if you use the powder dispenser, make sure to give it a solid tap when you throw powder.
>>
>>33504097
I'm running wtf ever pic related is I forget now>>33503925 . But no I haven't cleaned my dies, I reload 9mm and have carbide dies.

Me being a new reloader and the manual saying carbide is GOAT, I'm kinda wondering if maybe NOT using case lube is why I'm having problems.
>>
>>33504154
I should also not I've only put about 600 rounds threw this press, all 9mm.
>>
File: 1480996292368.jpg (303KB, 840x630px) Image search: [Google]
1480996292368.jpg
303KB, 840x630px
>>33503283
Shut the fuck up, tryhard Sigfag cuckmaster. Did you ask your mother for permission to post on this site?
>>
>>33503925
>>33504009
I'll never understand the Lee hate. Richard Lee is a genius. His innovations are displayed in the dies no one else makes. Not to mention he has probably been responsible for getting more people into reloading than anyone else ever.
>>
>>33504392
This. The only reason I'm looking at upgrading is so I can automate a Dillon 1050. Lee just makes pretty solid stuff for a really good price. If it wasn't for how inexpensive they were, I'd have just stuck with steel case shit.
>>
So is it possible to reload bottleneck on a progressive? Not 223 but full sozed cases like 30-06
>>
>>33504894
Of course. How did you think the factories do it?
>>
>>33504974
>>33504894
necked brass is made like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUF_5zrFG9c
>>
File: 138470.jpg (4KB, 162x100px)
138470.jpg
4KB, 162x100px
>be in the UK
>cheapest .311 and .264 FMJ is like £18-21 per 100
>powder is about £70 per kg or over £30 per lb
What did I do to deserve this shit? I can't even afford to shoot bullets with an ogive that isn't an average of like .01" different from the fucking next one in the box.
>>
>>33506350
stop drinking alcohol, no more kebabs, strict british food diet.
>>
>>33501633
>Never done anything like it before.

Step #1: buy this book;
>>
>>33506605
British food is mostly beer you stupid shit.
>>
>>33503925
get a Loadmaster or a Dillon 650
>>
>>33506605
I don't drink or eat kebabs though, well very rarely I will treat myself to ale but that's not enough to dent any finance. I'm just too tight fisted to spend £30+ on a box of just 100 FMJ, that would get me over half a tank of diesel.
>>
>>33501847
For really popular rounds like 9mm or 5.56 it's hard to justify reloading plinking ammo because muh economy of scale.

But if you need to specializd ammo in any way, shape, or form or want to frequently shoot a gun chambered in a less popular cartridge then reloading makes a lot of sense.
>>
File: iwonderehocouldbebehindthispost.png (225KB, 800x764px) Image search: [Google]
iwonderehocouldbebehindthispost.png
225KB, 800x764px
>>33504154 #
>>33504173 #
Some case lube never hurt and maybe there were some burrs on the die set so running a very gentle touch of some steel wool wrapped around a chopstick and chucked into a drill might help, carbide isn't exactly magic.

If that doesn't fix it I'll be glad to take it off your hands, email in name.
>>
>>33506749
Heck even target shooting ammo comes out barely above plinking. People compare shitty steel case and its a stupid comparison.
>>
>>33501847
>I have never taken a microeconomics course
>I have no idea how convenience stores make enough money to stay in business

Nigger, normal people don't buy ammo direct from the factory, and even the factories sell for more than what it cost to make each cartridge because they've got equipment to maintain, supplies to buy, and workers to compensate.
>>
>>33506629
Does every reloading book exist to shill a certain companies products?
>>
>>33507578
When you factor in the opportunity cost of your time though, he's likely correct that the factory ammo would be cheaper.

That is, unless you actually enjoy the process of case prep. I don't. I'd honestly rather be at work than doing that, so it's actually more expensive for me to make my own ammo.
>>
>>33503231
how is that? just want to make a gunch of bulk 40sw. does it seat primers fine?
>>
File: IMG_7717.png (252KB, 750x1334px)
IMG_7717.png
252KB, 750x1334px
Get this. So much easier on your hands and fingers. Wish I would have gotten it a year and a half sooner. And apparently it's $10 cheaper than when I bought it.
>>
>>33508067
No way Nosler is going to do load testing on Hornady bullets. That's why there are so many.

Just get one manual, and compare it to the powder manufacturer's data, and build all your loads off of those 2.
>>
>>33508475
YOU'RE THE REASON FOR THE TEARDROPS ON MY GUITAR
>>
What's a good press if I just shoot ~300 rounds of. 357mag every other week? Preferably not one that's a piece of shit that I'll replace because "it's just a beginner press".

What's the difference between single/turret/progressive?
Single holds one die at a tine.
Turret holds 3/4 and you can rotate it or it automatically rotates with a crank of the lever
Progressive ???
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.