[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apologies for the stock image, but what's the feasibility

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: globe-north-pole-a4g42f.jpg (82KB, 520x540px) Image search: [Google]
globe-north-pole-a4g42f.jpg
82KB, 520x540px
Apologies for the stock image, but what's the feasibility of a naval invasion over the arctic. I've never heard of such a thing, so I'm wondering what the limiting factors are.
>>
The Polar ice caps, mostly.

That's a pretty big limiting factor, honestly.
>>
>>33481208
Ice is the limiting factor. Turns out you can't sail through it too easy. Who would have guessed.
>>
File: whats-up-with-that.gif (476KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
whats-up-with-that.gif
476KB, 500x240px
>>33481208
questions;

>how do you quantify taking territory that is water?
>what are you gonna do once you get it?

i mean technically its international territory, so any 'military' incursion is going to get the eye of the UN. and you are gonna look like the dick to everyone else.

but to answer your question, it wouldnt be difficult with subs and some arctic equipment.
>>
>>33481251
he means a land invasion from sea, not a fucking sea invasion to gain ocean territory, go away you tard
>>
>>33481251
FUCKING KILL YOURSELF!!!
>>
>>33481208
Ice isn't the limiting factor. Icebreakers routinely cut through arctic ice.

The main drawback is the sheer remoteness and lack of high-value targets in the arctic (except for maybe a few Russian sub bases). And we already have nuclear subs floating around up there in case those need to go.
>>
>>33482847
Speed and surprise are lost due to the ice. Pivotal parts of any invasion really.
>>
>>33482847
>Icebreakers

Yes, brilliant plan. Send in the invasion force in two single file lines! Well, actually one since the other icebreaker is constantly in port. Or maybe none since the other icebreaker is on the verge of being decommissioned.
>>
File: 7654232634.jpg (36KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
7654232634.jpg
36KB, 800x600px
Just melt the fucking ice with global warming.
>>
File: 1401937859170.png (284KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1401937859170.png
284KB, 450x450px
>>33481208
there's nothing up there worth holding, and poor transportation south for the invasion force, it would be better to transit through and go for the coastal cities/ports eh, not worth bothering with us...
>>
>>33482926
We could just nuke the ice.

What could go wrong?
>>
>>33481208
>>
>>33481208
The north pole doesn't have ice during the warm parts of the year, so that's not as big an issue as people are making it out to be.

I think it's more to do with nobody caring about taking the fucking leaf, and attacking the US trough Alaska is fucking retarded since you have to go trough Canada to get to mainland US, which should be your primary target if you are fighting with them.

If you are the US fighting Russia, then you are stuck in a similar situation, you'd be landing on a bunch of wild ice and there are no roads that connect that part of Russia with the European part of the country for at least a few dozen miles, so you'd be crawling trough snow for days if not weeks before you reach anything significant, pretty retarded when the EU would just let the burgers march right into Moscow trough Europe.

Also there's the fact that the Arctic sea isn't nearly as small as it looks in that picture. I guess it would be feasible as a last resource desperate attack if the situation got really bad, but that's about it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.