[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memes and shitposting aside, what do I do after getting out for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_7762.jpg (138KB, 640x789px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7762.jpg
138KB, 640x789px
Memes and shitposting aside, what do I do after getting out for 4 years as 03xx?

I can't do school because I've never been good at it
>>
>>33479101
Learn a trade man. I wasted my GI Bill pursuing stupid liberal arts shit, now I'm 30 and my shit is still fucked up, and I'll still have to learn some sort of trade. Trust me learn a trade
>>
File: 1479166562812.png (333KB, 608x686px) Image search: [Google]
1479166562812.png
333KB, 608x686px
>>33479101
i learned welding and work welding barges together. Pay is decent and the work isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
I ended up getting a business degree and now working as a paper pusher. better than being out in the sun all day, though.
>mfw people fall for the liberal arts meme with their gi bill
>>
>>33479101
friends/comradeship

a sense of alienation from society at large

a drinking problem

addiction to chew (inb4 "I'd never chew! That's fucking rachet/disgusting/hillbilly!" Yeah okay you will)

fucked up knees

tinnitus
>>
>>33479113
Either learn a trade or get a degree that'll make you money

Regardless my man, the first two years are just common core bullshit so complete the bare minimum for your degree and enjoy the "college experience" i.e partying, telling salty sea stories/having sex with impressionable 18 year olds and raking in that sweet sweet BAHBux
>>
>>33479113
I don't want to weld dude, I hate that shit. I learned on the side and it's not my thing. I'm thinking of joining the fire department or local PD. Thoughts?
>>
>>33479101
besides having okay tits and a passable face, this girl's body actually kind of grosses me out.
>>
>>33479123
>A sense of alienation from society at large
Don't hit my fucking feels anon. I'm so tired
>>
>>33479137
There's other trades besides welding. I'm thinking of going for HVAC. Yah PD would probably be good, given the structure and sense of brotherhood.
>>
>>33479101
Hey 03anon im a 1371, got out in Aug of 16 and I'm doing the school thing for computer science. Its not bad but not for everyone. Doing the cop thing isn't a bad idea a few of my friends are trying to do it now but some departments are competitive as fuck. Look at conservation officers and other neat shit too that'd be fun for an 03 who doesn't want to do school.
>>
>>33479160
>sense of brotherhood.
The most cancerous thing.

OP do not become a cop.
>>
>>33479101
Something labor related not making much. Not being a dick but if you dont go to school that's the reality.

Pmc's aren't even gonna glance at your application. The skills you learned are useless on the outside.
>>
>>33479160
Yeah not true. I just posted this >>33479169
because being a cop is sort of /k/ and requires no school but its not a brotherhood thing. I know two cops pretty well and they both bitch about backstabbers retards and shit heads becoming in charge of shit all the time. Its not like the military cops are pretty fucking close to civilians.
>>
>>33479171
It's hard to deal with losing that when you get out, that sense of purpose and belonging. Just out here with the rest of the chums pursuing selfish ambitions. It can feel empty as fuck
>>
>>33479203
That's a problem with all civie jobs I've worked, none of which I've done longer than 3 months. Constant shit talking, shine boxing, blue falcons, just general untrustworthy individuals out to compete against one another. No clue how to communicate or work as a fluid unit. I've been out for almost 7 years and I still don't have this shit down . Fuckin wears on you after awhile
>>
>>33479239
Try doing it in SoCal mane, I can speak spanish but I told everyone at work I didn't to spite all the fucking illegals I had to work with

These three other guys, who were white or were born here, along with myself were the only ones who ever actually did anything too
>>
File: 1484883042447.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1484883042447.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>33479113

Fucking this.

> parents went to college
> both got Masters
> became high school teachers
> told me there was no other option but college
> went for 2.5 years
> fucked sooooo many women
> partied
> dropped out because I realized that I just wasn't cut out for that shit
> became a paramedic
> make more money than my parents did
> mfw I am so glad I bugged out of school before I racked up $50K of student loan debt and fucked my life chasing some retarded degree in history or education or some shit

College is a fucking racket. Get a marketable skill.
>>
>>33479260
Bro I've worked with white people from Cali and they were literally the most insufferable people I've ever met. They talk in this fictious tone ALL the time and you can never tell of they're serious or being pretentious. No offense but I goddamn hate people from Cali, albeit a few outliers the culture is just too vapid for me. I'm sure your cool tho, or should I say hella cool
>>
>>33479203
>backstabbers retards and shit heads becoming in charge of shit all the time

You just perfectly described my old command.
>>
Merchant navy maybe
You get to travel, dont have a lot of people around you and pays alright
>>
>>33479137

Pipeline welders make fucking bank.

Electricians make fucking bank.

Goddamned HVAC guys make bank.

Just find a skill you don't hate, realize that you work to live rather than live to work, be willing to move out of Dogpatch to where there are paying jobs and go for it.
>>
John Deere pays their mechanics well and likes hiring veterans.
>>
>>33479304
>I goddamn hate people from Cali

It's ok, I also hate my state. I'm not sure about the north, but I can confidently state that I despise 99% of the people from the san francisco area down to the southern border.
>>
>>33479101
Without school, your options are
>Private security
>Police
>Any shitty wagecuck jobs that were open to you before you enlisted
>>
>>33479359
Less than 60k isn't bank dude. Most trade workers get around 50
>>
>>33479101
Re-up.
>>
>>33479501

Because most trade workers are retards who stay in shit areas with shit jobs.
>>
File: 1490770445733.gif (51KB, 640x538px) Image search: [Google]
1490770445733.gif
51KB, 640x538px
>>33479577
Fuck off retention nco
>>
>>33479359
Different Anon but I'm thinking about going for HVAC. Feel like it would at least give me a good range of knowledge and an applicable well rounded skillset
>>
>tfw just wanna fix Harleys all day.
>>
File: 1488392568821.jpg (64KB, 501x501px) Image search: [Google]
1488392568821.jpg
64KB, 501x501px
>>33479123
>>33479123
>>33479123
>>
>>33479101
Homeland Security brodie, to be more precise the Border Patrol.

it's on high demand and they're aching for bodies to nab drug & human traffickers .

i mean it's a good avenue to partake in in my case at least. got a year left and i'm under the damn works for applying
>>
>>33479101
Apply for some apprenticeships. If you want to make a decent amount I'd say go IBEW, if you're anti union just stick it out for a couple years, the training itself is top notch.
>>
>>33479596
This. You can make good money in the trades if you're not a lazy sac of shit.
>>
Use your GI Bill for something else.

You can be a successful person as an 03. Everyone in my platoon is doing fine except for one guy who had a building randomly fall on top of them.
>>
File: Rossi_1.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Rossi_1.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
>>33479712
Hurrley's are shit brah.
>>
File: stop.png (163KB, 413x451px) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
163KB, 413x451px
>>33479777

Pic related, your post is one of them.

>nice get tho
>>
File: jew_basic.jpg (19KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
jew_basic.jpg
19KB, 220x220px
>>33479294
keep chasing that dollar, goyim
>>
>>33479113
>>33479294
Maybe you should've chosen a real degree.
>>
>>33480047
Yah dingus I fucking know that. It was Poli Sci, I was gonna do Law school but I couldn't make it past 2 semesters into the actual undergrad part. I got an Associate of Arts, but as a white male trying to go to some dumb fucking liberal uni for Poli sci, it's un fucking bearable.
>>
>>33479101
Collect disability
>>
>>33479304
>No offense but I goddamn hate people from Cali

We all do, there was a certain animosity towards me for being a Bean in SoCal who didn't speak spanish, funny thing is that I understood them perfectly when they were talking shit and they talk shit a lot

I'll never forget this squatamalan type dude. barely broke 5' and he was always talking about siccing the Zetas, a mexi cartel, at people he didn't like, he was annoying as shit and literally did not speak any english
>>
>>33480089
I collect disability and DESU senpai I'd trade all that shit back in a heartbeat to feel a sense of normalcy and belonging again. Feeling like you're gonna be in conflict 24/7 and waging an internal war with yourself plays hell on your relationships with others and nobody understands what the fuck you're going thru because their idea of PTSD is some shit they've seen on Hollywood like low crawling in public, or some stupid shit some attention whore tumblarina blogs about.
>>
>>33479777
Perfect for someone who wants to repair them tho, he'll always have business.
>>
>>33480092
I used to work with a bunch of guys from California when I was in Arizona and I never had a problem with one. None of them were arrogant, insufferable, or pretentious. But, if you're dealing people from the Bay Area your experiences will differ.
>>
GI bill works in community colleges too. They have classes on welding machining, etc.
>>
Learn a trade, join a defense contractor. They prefer vets and if you already have the right skills, they'll stack your starting pay rate.
>>
could go to school to work in aviation and get an A&P, theres a lot of contractors who pay 85-130k for you to work on aircraft innadesert.

they want people who were prior service.
>>
What kind of requirements do you even need to join a police department? And how difficult is the actual process of getting employed in a major city?
>>
>>33480230
And make sure you get a good dental plan.
>>
>>33479101
>Memes and shitposting aside
>posts /b/ tier picture
>>
>>33479101
More please
>>
>>33479138
She's contorted her body into an unnatural position. Probably to hide that she's overweight.
>>
>>33480980
no, dumbass. It's a matter of optics. Her legs appear extremely short on account of the narrow lense, and closeness of the camera.

It's making her head disproportionately huge, which makes her look like a dward.
>>
>>33479596
So you should've said they COULD make bank not that they do, fucking retard.
>>
Join IBEW and try for an electrical lineman apprenticeship

I found that the camraderie is pretty on par with infantry units and a lotta ex mil gets into this line of work. Really good pay, long hours, and dangerous work- but you get to do some cool shit and travel not only all of the USA but also the world
>>
>>33479101

>tragic face
>great tits, might be fake though
>pretending to have baby bearing hips

3/10, it's the best I can give her, take it or leave it.
>>
>>33479101
You're gonna have to git gud then, son
>>
>>33479101
>bad face
>fake tits

nope
>>
>>33479101

Become a line man, working on power lines and shit.

Save your money instead of buying boats and motorcycles and vacations like an idiot because you're trading your body and labor for money: it won't last forever
>>
>>33479101
I thought I would flunk out of college too. (was a d student in hs) Was an 11b so no real job training. Turns out you can bet b's in a state university just showing up to every class and turning in every assignment, complete or not. Graduating with sociology degree this year going to do work with a gov contractor that conducts research on the military.
>>
>>33482122
That company take CS majors?
>>
>>33479123
>chewing
>not just dipping
>>
>>33479101
Medical field. That doesn't mean being a provider/nurse/paramedic either.

Go to college and get a business degree or a medical administration degree. Then go work at a big hospital as a manager/administrator. It's literally life on easy mode and the medical field always has openings.
>>
File: 1464202906876.jpg (514KB, 686x960px) Image search: [Google]
1464202906876.jpg
514KB, 686x960px
>>33479101
Are you still active?
MCCS has classes that tech you trades like EMT, welding and pipe fitting and more. Take TRS more than six months out to get more info and apply for the program. Your unit FAPs you out or whatever and your appointed place of duty is at the class, all week for however long it is to finish the course.

Big takeaway is take TRS early, there's a ton of resources that you'll never learn about until its too late.
>>
>>33479101
you could put your landscaping skills to good use
>>
>>33482070
what local you at? I only ask cause not many people suggest becoming a lineman outside of linemen themselves. Seems like we have a pretty unknown job which is a damn shame considering the benefits and pay we get for the cool work we do
>>
>>33482070
I am a line man for the countyyyyy.....
>>
>>33479123
Where I'm from its called chaw, at least that's what all of the old men of questionable ethnicity call it.
>>
>>33482070
Father has done this since before I was born. Most rural-ish co-ops are always in need of good workers, and the pay is typically high for their towns. If you get one not too far away from a major city, it usually works out pretty well.
>>
>>33482275
>a ton of resources

What kind of resources we talking? I'm supposed to go to TRS in less than 2 weeks, but I'm going to cancel it.
>>
>>33479160
>There's other trades besides welding. I'm thinking of going for HVAC
As an HVAC technician I highly recommend this.
If you like using your strength and money isn't your biggest concern, go for HVAC Install. If you like using problem solving skills and sales and love money, go Service.
HVAC Installers usually cap out at $38/hr
HVAC Service Techs are usually commission based.
I work with 4 service techs that make $150,000/year

ALSO
DO
NOT
GO
TO
SCHOOL
FOR
HVAC

find a local company that will hire you on and train.
School will just make you piss away $30,000 and set you back 2-4 years in your trade.

I never went to HVAC school and i'm 2 years in and make $30/hr.
I pissed away my entire life up until 27 and wish I had just jumped into HVAC at like 20 years old. I'd be making a retarded amount of money.
>>
>>33479359
>Electricians make fucking bank
It's going to take you a long time to be making above 50k.
>>
>>33482910
How much longer do you have in? There's like 8 different vocational training for real trades like welding and such. Most are a couple of months long so the sooner you get into them the better. It also will help you get ready to find a job and tells you a bunch of VA benefits and such. It's not a bullshit course. Take it ASAP

Don't let your unit guilt you into thinking you need to put in as much time as possible. You did your two deployments, now you got to worry about yourself.
>>
Lay brick bro.
>>
>>33479359
It's eaiser to get into the fucking high tier masons than it is to be an electrician, fucking weird cult.
>>
>>33479616
That gif..
>kys
>>
>>33479140
You know, Ive always wondered why it is that the guys that say this shot can't/don't just take that perfectly viable option of making a career out of the military. Well besides all the fucktards that continue to be fucktards afterwards and therefor get DQ'd from enlistment.Ya know,instead of getting out and saying how great it was until they day they die like a high school athlete that never went pro. It's not like there arent a shitload of Jobs to choose from in the military
>>
>>33479210
>that sense of purpose and belonging.
A sense is all it was man, and it's magnified by the age of enlistment and nostalgia goggles. You want to avoid feeling like you're grinding away with a bunch of people that don't give a shit about you? Then find something you care about and work with people that love what they do
>>
>>33479188
that pic hits a little close, man.
>>
>>33479101
Go to community college, learn to be a plumber, plumbers make a fucking killing, especially if you do the whole day/night thing. You can almost charge whatever the hell you want for shit at night, plus most vets I know have trouble sleeping and are up all night so that might not be bad.
>go to community college/tech school
>be plumber or HVAC
>get small business start up loan or whatever
>buy a van/tools
>drink some beer with buddies, come up with catchy logo/name/jingle
>get apprentice under you so you don't have to be the one poop-smithing
Boom, your own business. You're your own man, make your own hours, you can take the calls you want, and when you start to get too much business, buy another van, hire a couple more guys, rinse/repeat until you have successful business where you do nothing and get money because your lackeys are out doing all the work work.

Also bartending? At the bar I used manage, I was the only male there out of about 5 or 6 guys that worked there that wasn't a vet. It's fun, it's social, people like you, you meet lots of people, there's a lot of teamwork/comradery between staff and or regulars. We had regulars that would literally take a punch and throw out problem patrons before we eve had to raise our voice, just cause some one was fucking with their watering hole/booze purveyor. Just don't let the industry turn you into an alcoholic, bartending actually made me drink less because I had my fill of the atmosphere so didn't want to go out and party cause it felt like work.. but i've also had employees get like 3 duis, come to work drunk, get too drunk at work, go into a downward spiral and burn out into alcoholic oblivion because they couldn't keep their shit together
>>
>>33482981
Not trying to come at you or call you a liar, but where the fuck are you going to school for fucking HVAC where tuition is costing that fucking much? The community college my next town over, which is a VERY good community college, costs like $1200 a semester give or take a couple hundred for books.. HVAC isn't a 4 year degree man, you don't get bachelors in HVAC.. most programs that have seen cater to those who work full time and it's like going to class 2 or 3 times a week for like 2 years, you get your HVAC certificate and some bs associates degree in whatever.

Even if it costs you 10k by the time you're done, that's nothing a few grants or random scholarships can't cover.

But yeah, going to work and having your company pay for your school is always the way to go
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.