[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, fa/tg/uy here, I'm planning on running an "Operators

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: 1488070877533.png (494KB, 989x659px) Image search: [Google]
1488070877533.png
494KB, 989x659px
Hey /k/, fa/tg/uy here, I'm planning on running an "Operators vs Spooky Shit" game with some of my friends, yet my players are of varying lesser degrees of tactical ability. I'm wondering if we can have a thread where we share some general small-group firearm tactics, covert operations wisdom, and maybe even some general ideas for how to make combating cryptid things unique or scary from a strategic perspective.
>>
>>33474330
So larping with guns? Neat. Be sure to not shoot the guy next to you.
>>
>>33474330
I'm good at this stuff, ask me anything.
>>
>>33474330
if its tabletop, play some door kickers
>>
Spooky shit is spooky because a high power rifle mag dumped to center mass won't always kill it. Run this like CoC, not DnD.

That said, silent hand signals, maneuvering tactics, lines of fire, etc. are vastly more important when a crit fail on an accuracy check results in instantly slaying your buddy.

t. crossboarder
>>
>>33474345
What? No, tabletop games. GURPS specifically.
>>
Be sure to have a way of telling when a stranger enters your group.

For example, if there's five of you: dress up as the power rangers, when you see a green ranger show up then you know some shit is about to go down.
>>
>>33474384
I'm planning on having the atmosphere be somewhat STALKER/X-Com/SCP Mobile Task Force esque. They may be being sent where they are because few other people would be able to survive or withstand all the other shit to get to the point where they can perform aforementioned magdumping. I guess what I'm hoping to make is sort of a quick "do's and dont's" of commando operations, to ensure that everyone's semi-realistically playing characters of comparable tactical ability.
>>
>>33474417
If a skinwalker/fleshgait was good enough at what he do to make himself look like Tommy Oliver... Shit, then he's probably actually pretty knowledgeable on Sentai shows without tapping into peoples memories, probably a cool cryptid to chill with.
>>
File: IMG_6719.png (489KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6719.png
489KB, 750x1334px
>>33474330
All that alien stuff was fun
>>
>>33474444
I certainly hope the truth is out there, quad-quads...
>>
File: Some nigga in Afghanistan.jpg (126KB, 1600x786px) Image search: [Google]
Some nigga in Afghanistan.jpg
126KB, 1600x786px
>>33474330
So, CAG ACE engaging Ayyliums in Dulce Base?
>>
File: IMG_6721.png (380KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6721.png
380KB, 750x1334px
>>33474444
>Posted a screen shot from 10:50 at 10:50 and got quads.
>Tooting my own horn
>Ayy lmao
>>
>>33474457
Two scenarios I've got going are a dive-capable team combating a group of Organism 46-B's, a group in the middle east clearing a temple that's suspected to be an ISIS stronghold and encountering those red-headed nephilim giant motherfuckers, exploring ruins under Antarctica in a tomb-raidery fashion, or some fuck-terrible south-east-asian supernatural shit assailing a forward operating base during the Vietnam war.
>>
>>33474519
Shit, that's more than two, I kept coming up with more ideas as I typed, fugg.
>>
>>33474352
>filename

Oh shit, son. You got to keep that shit bottled up inside.
>>
Not OP, but wanted to do something similar.
Fluff dump!
>UNSERAF
>The United Nations Special Esoteric Response Assault Force is a multi-national organization that is tasked to the detection and elimination of threats that conventional forces would be ineffective against.
>It's insignia, is the UN globe with a six winged, downwards faceing sword.
>below it is the motto, "Per Secretum Tueri" Defend Through Secrecy.
>>
>>33474433
>quick dos and dont's
That's a bit difficult to make, really, since most of the stuff would explicitly require training as a unit for fluent, effective operations. If I had to make a short list of basic stuff, I'd at least include
>basic organisation - split your team into smaller units, even if it's just four guys in two-man teams
>fire and movement, bounding overwatch - movement in contact (against humans) needs to be covered. with split teams this is effectively achieved by one unit staying back to aim at probable enemy locations, or fire suppressively, if the enemy threat is great and you are not trying to be sneaky, the other unit meanwhile moving forward rapidly, possibly firing as well. try to move through dead ground whenever possible
>cover all directions when moving - don't let anything sneak up behind you - keep eyes on your flanks in combat
>explosives are your friend, artillery is your best friend - breaching and clearing is dangerous, remember to throw grenades through doorways and windows as liberally as you can afford, blow new entryways into walls when possible. artillery, mortars and direct fires of grenades and rockets are always more effective than ordinary bullets, use them when possible
>bounding movement when retreating from contact - highly relevant to commandos in conventional combat
>traps, mines and claymores - all great. they allow you to kill your enemies without revealing your location
>suppression and aggressive firing is key - not as accurate, but integral for fire and movement and stopping the enemy from doing the same
There's too much to type here I'm afraid and I don't know how well these would work in the system, or if your players would even enjoy playing like this.
>>
File name Wendigo.
>The Wendigo, is a mythical creature from Algonquin folklore that is characterized by feasting on human flesh. Unfortunately this creature is not a myth, but is the result of a prion disease. The Wendigo Prion is the result of an extinct tribe of indigenous people in northeastern North America. This tribe was noted for its excessive cannibalism, and due to it gave birth to the Wendigo Prion.
>Prions are misfolded proteins that usually cause brain damage, most notably Mad Cow Disease and Kuru. Prions convert existing tissue into copies of themselves not unlike a virus, but being far slower and less virulent. However, prions cannot be cured, vaccinated against, and are incredibly difficult to destroy.
>The Wendigo Prion, affects humans that consume infected tissue, or have blood to blood contact. The prion is vasty different to other prions, being FAR more virulent and rapid in its effects.
>At first, persons affected will have extreme hunger for meat, consuming great quantities of any meat they can. Next begins the Conversion Phase.

>The Conversion Phase is when the Wendigo has begun to mutate. Starting with the brain, the afflicted begins hungering for human flesh, and becomes homicidally aggressive. Then after each victim, the Wendigo becomes stronger and stronger.
>This is the Enhancement Phase. In this state, the prion mutates the body, increasing muscle density up to 20 times human norm.
>This allows a Wendigo who looks malnourished, to rip apart a human with little difficulty. Worse is the fact that the prion has shown longevitive effect, meaning that Wendigo's may be hundreds to THOUSANDS of years old.
>This allows a Wendigo to achieve a "supernatural" fieldcraft and stalking ability, combined with hideous strength and speed and near immunity to most small arms means that a Wendigo is EXTREMELY dangerous.
>>
>>33474710
whats after gang
>>
>>33475049
None of that stuff (well done stuff, btw) would make a wendigo resistant to small arms. Plain, boring fmj 9mm NATO can blow through so much ballistic gel it is hardly fair. Think 40 inches of penetration. Pair that with the enhanced circulatory system/increased blood volume necessary to keep that 20x human muscle density profused, and you have a critter likely to bleed out very quickly. Let's not even get into the intestinal flaura involved in cabalistic predation and the results of a gutshot.
There. Now I've shot my combat medic load a bit.

I suggest looking into RE:ORC. Watch the cutscenes on YouTube or something, avoid the actual game. There might be some inspiration there. You can also read up on All Guardsman Party if you enjoy a less competent approach.
>>
File: RogersRangers_s.jpg (123KB, 557x700px) Image search: [Google]
RogersRangers_s.jpg
123KB, 557x700px
All Rangers are subject to the rules of war.

In a small group, march in single file with enough space between so that one shot can't pass through one man and kill a second.

Marching over soft ground should be done abreast, making tracking difficult. At night, keep half your force awake while half sleeps.

Before reaching your destination, send one or two men forward to scout the area and avoid traps.
If prisoners are taken, keep them separate and question them individually.

Marching in groups of three or four hundred should be done in three separate columns, within support distance, with a point and rear guard.

When attacked, fall or squat down to receive fire and rise to deliver. Keep your flanks as strong as the enemy's flanking force, and if retreat is necessary, maintain the retreat fire drill.

When chasing an enemy, keep your flanks strong, and prevent them from gaining high ground where they could turn and fight.

When retreating, the rank facing the enemy must fire and retreat through the second rank, thus causing the enemy to advance into constant fire.

If the enemy is far superior, the whole squad must disperse and meet again at a designated location. This scatters the pursuit and allows for organized resistance.

If attacked from the rear, the ranks reverse order, so the rear rank now becomes the front. If attacked from the flank, the opposite flank now serves as the rear rank.

If a rally is used after a retreat, make it on the high ground to slow the enemy advance.
>>
File: cache_1124545704.jpg (54KB, 450x267px) Image search: [Google]
cache_1124545704.jpg
54KB, 450x267px
When lying in ambuscade, wait for the enemy to get close enough that your fire will be doubly frightening, and after firing, the enemy can be rushed with hatchets.

At a campsite, the sentries should be posted at a distance to protect the camp without revealing its location. Each sentry will consist of 6 men with two constantly awake at a time.

The entire detachment should be awake before dawn each morning as this is the usual time of enemy attack.

Upon discovering a superior enemy in the morning, you should wait until dark to attack, thus hiding your lack of numbers and using the night to aid your retreat.

Before leaving a camp, send out small parties to see if you have been observed during the night.

When stopping for water, place proper guards around the spot making sure the pathway you used is covered to avoid surprise from a following party.

Avoid using regular river fords as these are often watched by the enemy.

Avoid passing lakes too close to the edge, as the enemy could trap you against the water's edge.

If an enemy is following your rear, circle back and attack him along the same path.

When returning from a scout, use a different path as the enemy may have seen you leave and will wait for your return to attack when you're tired.

When following an enemy force, try not to use their path, but rather plan to cut them off and ambush them at a narrow place or when they least expect it.

When traveling by water, leave at night to avoid detection.

In rowing in a chain of boats, the one in front should keep contact with the one directly astern of it. This way they can help each other and the boats will not become lost in the night.
>>
One man in each boat will be assigned to watch the shore for fires or movement.

If you are preparing an ambuscade near a river or lake, leave a force on the opposite side of the water so the enemy's flight will lead them into your detachment.

When locating an enemy party of undetermined strength, send out a small scouting party to watch them. It may take all day to decide on your attack or withdrawal, so signs and countersigns should be established to determine your friends in the dark.

If you are attacked in rough or flat ground, it is best to scatter as if in rout. At a pre-picked place you can turn, allowing the enemy to close. Fire closely, then counterattack with hatchets. Flankers could then attack the enemy and rout him in return.
>>
>>33474330
That's a very broad question, and not one easily answered, unfortunately. I would suggest doing this; find a basic infantry skills manual from the Army, and study the shit out of it. Take notes, run through scenarios in your head, draw diagrams, then read it again. Then, sit down and teach your players. Individual and Small team movement techniques are important, so focus on those. Learn about fields of fire, movement under fire, and basic patrolling. Fire and maneuver is the name of the game, Shoot, Move and Communicate should be your motto.

Oh and don't worry about handsignals and secret squirrel shit too much, once you kick in a door or the does round is fired assume the bad guys know you're there and yell to your buddies as loud as you can. Getting heard clearly and swiftly is the most important thing in a firefight.

You learn and teach these skills to your players, and they'll feel like oper8tors in no time. You don't need to read SEAL memoirs or Spec Ops tactics, basic infantry skills will be good enough to make Joe Schmo feel like a badass.
>>
>>33475875
Part of what I was hoping to find here were some suggestions or maybe PDFs of such manuals. Is there any /k/indly /k/ommando willing to link an to some of that knowledge?
Also, as a point, I'm hoping for more of the planned encounters to involve Spec Ops sneeky breki shenanigans, with occasional bursts of intense firefighting when unavoidable.
>>
>>33476374
* an outsider
>>
>>33476374
I'll see what I can find on my lunch break, stay tuned. As for sneeki breeki, there's an excellent field manual on Camoflauge and Concealment that I'll see if I can dig up, but mostly the best way to creep through an area is to move like you normally would, from cover to cover. The thought is that if you feel the need to sneak, you must be in a danger area, so you need to put something in between you and the possible danger. Which doubles as blocking line of sight as well.

But I'll see what I can find for you.
>>
>>33474330
I like your premise. I have a question, though.

What other things have you run, and what other things have you played?

I ask because I have seen novice DMs chase granular detail and realism at the expense of fun. That is a very easy mistake to make. Are any of your players former or current military?
>>
File: pftmanual.png (476KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
pftmanual.png
476KB, 400x600px
>>33475831
>>33475846
>>33475856
my nigga
>>
>>33474330
IRL operators are often geeks of various kinds. I wonder if /tg/ has any in residence.
>>
If anyone is interested, Join our Cryptid hunting discord

https://discord.gg/DPc7M
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.