[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Live in commiefornia so no AR's or excessively scary rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: veprmini.jpg (109KB, 1718x833px) Image search: [Google]
veprmini.jpg
109KB, 1718x833px
Live in commiefornia so no AR's or excessively scary rifle but I want a .223 caliber rifle that can take a mag and at least looks a little normal.

Local gun store has a mini 14 (580 series) for $800 and a Vepr .223 for $1000 (aka about the same since I have a job). I like the iron sights and the shorter length on the mini 14 over the Vepr but I haven't heard too many good things about the mini 14's accuracy. How does the Vepr compare?
>>
It's an AK. If you're shooting irons the Mini has better sights.
>>
>>33463285
why not get that Ares gun?
>>
>>33463484
Can't seem to find it for sale anywhere, not to mention looks uglier than either.
>>
>>33463285
The Vepr should be noticably more accurate, and looks way better too.
>>
>>33463285
I'm assuming you want a semi-auto, no? Because if you're cool with it, the Mossberg MVP Patrol could be a good choice. No laws against bolt-actions...yet.

>>33463484
I unironically want one, just so I can replace the polymer furniture with wood. Shit looks nice.
>>
>>33463559
>bolt-actions.
The plan is to label them as 'high powered sniper rifles.' They've been open about it since the Seventies.
>>
>>33463515
contact the manufacturer directly and they'll get something going with you and your FFL of choice
>>
File: raifu is next.jpg (210KB, 960x636px) Image search: [Google]
raifu is next.jpg
210KB, 960x636px
>>33463559
>>33463579
Pump actions, lever actions and bolt actions are next. Here is the logic path they will follow to ban bolt actions, WW1 had bolt action rifles used. Ergo bolt actions are weapons of war. Just use a bow if you want to hunt. Bows and arrows were used during the Plains Wars and in European wars, bows and arrows are weapons of war. Lever actions were used In the Spanish/American war and WW1, lever actions are weapons of war. That is where it will go.
>>
>>33463559
Yes I want a semi auto.

I already have several ~.30 caliber bolt action rifles I shoot without trouble.
>>
>>33463606
>>33463579
What in the fuck?! I need to move to America and get out of New Jersey.
>>
File: vepr super 308 side.jpg (21KB, 800x402px) Image search: [Google]
vepr super 308 side.jpg
21KB, 800x402px
>>33463285
I got Vepr in .308, and it's a beautiful, sweet shooting beast. With a cheapo 3-9x scope, I've been shooting caps off 1.5L soda bottles from around 100 yards. The irons aren't too bad either, and work fine for "muh war combat" scenarios.

Plus, it's an AK. A sturdy one at that. You can treat is as rough as you want, and it will prolly work just fine. Only "maintenance" I've ever done to mine has been spraying a bit of gun oil down the barrel and pulling a boresnake through it.
>>
>>33463285
The 580 series should be way better in terms of accuracy than their predecessors. A lot of te complaints about the Mini's accuracy are based on the earlier models.
>>
>>33464074
I just can't get over the iron sights. I mean it's similar to my Lee Enfield and I've had plenty of practice but they still they take longer to line up than the iron sights on my MAS 36 which is more similar to AR/Mini14 sights.
>>
>>33464074
/scribbles note
>>
File: vepr.jpg (102KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vepr.jpg
102KB, 640x480px
>>33464074

I bought a 308 Vepr and never shoot it sadface.jpg

mini14 is shit i hate my friends, the rear sight fell apart while shooting. I have high cheek bones and i can not look down the iron sights because i cant get my cheek low enough on the stock. The only thing it has going for it is looks, i kinda want one to hang on my wall but i wouldent pay more than $300 for one.
>>
File: beautiful Vepr 308 short barrel.jpg (269KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
beautiful Vepr 308 short barrel.jpg
269KB, 1600x1067px
>>33464145
Funny, I've always found the AK's "open" sights to be easier to handle. Not to mention they're not exactly made for sharp-shooting, but for relatively quick target acquiring at shorter ranges + still keeping clear and wide field of view.

Sure I've not used the irons past something like 50 meters, but at those distances, soda flies with little effort. I bet a simple red-dot would make it a total monster.

>>33464169
that's a pretty little thing. Jelly about your hi-cap mags.
>>
File: SGL stock.jpg (144KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SGL stock.jpg
144KB, 640x480px
>>33464206
>Jelly about your hi-cap mags
ban stater?

I bought it on black friday a few years ago for like $599. Resold the factory mags on ebay and made enough money off them to by 2 Csspec mags. I took the AR stock off and put a SGL stock on it.
>>
>>33464272
Nope. Near Un-obtainium in Yurop, and importing is colossal pain in the arse.
>>
Is there a way to convert the rear sight of the VEPR to be more like the peep rear sight of an AR?

I've heard of people using rear sights mounted to the dust cover like a galil, but given how wobbly the dust cover is I don't think that's a good idea.
>>
>>33464074
Thumbhole stocks are not California legal.
>>
>>33463515
The Ares/Fightlite SCR is hard to find, but Brownells says they have the lower in stock. Their site says they can't ship it to CA, but that's bullshit.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/scr-lower-receiver-assembly-w-bolt-carrier-monte-carlo-prod86792.aspx

Even if you're not keen on a typical California Exotic AR, I'd still consider the SCR lower. You get the comb stock you want, and the ability to use the very ubiquitous AR uppers.
>>
File: calireadyveprak16thumb (8 of 14).jpg (127KB, 1000x540px) Image search: [Google]
calireadyveprak16thumb (8 of 14).jpg
127KB, 1000x540px
>>33465256
Veprs can be modified. Look at the rifles in the OP. The bottom is a restocked Vepr.

Image related is another way to make it CA legal.
>>
Buy 7.62 Vepr. Ammo is 22c a round, doesn't burn out the barrel as much, and you'd have lots of magazine options to get overseas.
>>
Either one will be decent the ak if probly better quality I have a mini and it's meh at best. The thing is they both take proprietary magazines which sucks
>>
>>33464074
I really want that pic related, but super veprs seem to be impossible to find
>>
>>33465361
I'm specifically looking for .223

I don't see slav calibers staying cheap or available locally forever due to no domestic production and likely incoming tariffs. Keep in mind that California will make it illegal to buy ammo online after this year.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.