[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it theoretically possible to make a self-loading (there will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1488740495804.png (174KB, 540x491px) Image search: [Google]
1488740495804.png
174KB, 540x491px
Is it theoretically possible to make a self-loading (there will be a magazine) semi-auto rifle that shoots paper cartridges as opposed to regular bullets?
>>
OP here, screwed up.

I meant regular cartridges, not regular bullets.

Just wondering if it's possible to have what would be considered a semi-auto rifle with a magazine that uses paper cartridges as opposed to metal cartidges.
>>
Yeah, a nerf gun.
>>
Yeah, Musket guns use paper cartridges.
>>
>>33463097
you mean like Dryse or Chassepot ammo?
>>
>>33463163
Yes, but not single-shot like those rifles.
>>
The reason I mentioned semi-auto is that there were conversion kits during the WW1 era to convert the bolt-loaders into semi ( gas piston on the outside).

Wondering if it would be possible to make a rifle similar to that but use paper cartridges instead of modern day cartridges.
>>
>>33463195
well problem one is making sure the action doesnt tear the cartridges when picking them up to chamber, secondly the firing pin will need to be very long since the primer is at the center of the cartridge, so you'll need to design around that. There are more but im tired, tldr is maybe but so impractical and such an engineering nightmare its unlikley it would work even remotely reliably
>>
>>33463037
I can't think of any way to pack the cartridges together in a magazine and then reliably separate them without destroying them unless you were willing to use an extremely stiff paper tube for the cartridge.
I suppose you could probably do a bastardized belt-fed that carries each flimsy paper cartridge in a little metal cylinder; I'm imagining a really long, thin bolt which pushes the cartridge forward into the breech by threading through the cylinder, the firing cycle would occur with the cylinder still around the bolt, and then the "extraction" process would be the bolt pulling way back out of the cylinder, cycling the empty one out of the way and a new one into position.
I don't see why you would want this.
>>
File: Sosso 1941 magazine.jpg (113KB, 886x663px) Image search: [Google]
Sosso 1941 magazine.jpg
113KB, 886x663px
>>33463670
Forgotten Weapons to the rescue. Use a belt magazine to eliminate pressure on the cartridges.
https://youtu.be/iO3ZAuiq35k?t=309
>>
>>33463037
There are following problems
>action would have to be very gentle as to not destroy cartridges
>chamber would have to well sealed to prevent spark jumping into mag and detonating cartridges
>cook off in chamber would also be a problem

But basically what you are describing is your "standard" modern caseless rifle with slighly different cartridge, but principals are same.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.