[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /k/, I got my first weapon a few days ago. It's a Ruger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Ruger 1022 carbine.jpg (27KB, 825x195px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger 1022 carbine.jpg
27KB, 825x195px
Ok /k/, I got my first weapon a few days ago.

It's a Ruger 10/22 rifle.

What things should I do to make sure that I keep good care of it, not accidentally shoot it or lose it?
>>
Leave it locked up and never take it out.
>>
>>33447038
Keep in a safe/cabinet/case when not using it, clean it every so often, and follow the four rules of gun safety:

1: Treat the gun as if it's ALWAYS loaded, even when you know it isn't.
2: Never point the gun at anything you're not willing to destroy.
3: Make sure you know your target and what is behind it.
4: Keep your finger off of the trigger unless you're about to fire it (trigger discipline.)

That's pretty much it. Congrats on your new purchase OP.
>>
>>33447038
Buy some blanks and practice ambush tactics on your mailman.
>>
Sell it and buy a marlin 795 or 60.
>>
>>33447038
>loose it
Just never take it on a boating tour. Gun owners really are shitty drivers when it comes to boats
>>
>>33447038
https://www.amazon.com/NRA-Step-Step-Guide-Safety/dp/1510714057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490652234&sr=8-1&keywords=nra+guide

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Cleaning-Kit-for-22-255/dp/B000H6HA28/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490652250&sr=8-3&keywords=.22+cleaning+kit
>>
>>33447199
Thanks anon.
>>
Come on over to rimfire central, lotta good info
>>
>>33448563
Holy shit, will bookmark.
>>
dont keep that stupid bolt lock on. it marred my finish
>>
>>33447038
>I got my first weapon a few days ago.
>It's a Ruger 10/22 rifle.

Excellent choice. I've been shooting the same 10/22 for 20 years, you'll prolly want to keep yours, too.

Pro tip: in addition to other safety tips in this thread, there's a bolt lock that will hold the bolt open for cease fire at the range, or if you're passing the rifle to someone else. It's a little toggle-like thing next to the trigger guard. Clear your rifle (drop mag, hold back bolt and visually check chamber) and then with the bolt all the way back, move the toggle-- it's a little odd how it works, but if you work it for a minute or two, you'll get the hang of it. If it feels a little stiff or gritty, get a tiny drop of oil down in the crack, and wipe up the surrounding surface areas.

I swab the barrel every time I shoot, but just work a clean rag with light oil on the action the best I can without disassembly. If you take the action and barrel out of the stock for whatever reason, don't tip it to one side, the action is held together with sliding pins that will fall out if they're not held in place by the stock.

Some of the best fun I ever had in my life was with a 10/22 and a brick of ammo.

Enjoy.
>>
>>33450296
Thanks anon for the advice.
>>
>>33447038
burry it in a remote part of desert
>>
>>33448563
wtf stop bringing /k/ faggots to respectable forums asshole
>>
>>33447038
>Ruger 10/22

Yup, everyone I know who likes to shoot owns at least one. You made a good choice. I won't repeat the safety stuff, but be sure you you have all that dialed before you head out to the range. There's a million accessories you can get for the 10/22, and I wasted a few bucks on shit that was useless and somewhat stupid.

Replacement stocks are everywhere, and some cost as much as the rifle. I played around with a few, and ended up going back to the original birch stock. Don't bother with that crap, no matter how cool it looks on a web page. I also bought a flash hider and a heat shield (that snaps in place on the barrel above the forestock) that are pretty worthless, but I like the way they look, so I left them on. Good accessories were a scope and mount, a extended butt pad ( if you have a long reach) sling swivels and sling (if you plan to head out in the woods), and an extended mag release (easier for extended mags).

Last bit: don't buy a shitton of one brand of ammo until you see how it feeds and shoots. I've been shooting a 10-yr-old stockpile of multiple ammo brands, and my Ruger eats them all with very few duds. I have seen and heard about shitty quality in recent production runs of what used to be reliable brand names, including Winchester and Browning. Buy 50-100 round boxes until you find quality stuff, then pick up a couple bricks. Do try some CCI Stingers if you can find them, they do shoot great.
>>
>>33451506

Bump

I was just going to order a Tapco stock when I saw this thread. Gonna get the buttpad instead.
>>
>>33447038
>or lose it?

nigga what?
>>
File: 1022.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1022.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I keep bumping the mag release and my mags drop. The old mag releases were flush.
>>
>>33453043
>I keep bumping the mag release and my mags drop. The old mag releases were flush.

The magazine release is in front of the trigger guard, how the fuck do you bump it with a mag in place?
>>
>>33453074
Crawling through the woods, like in my pic, means I'm constantly bumping it around. Alls it takes is a tap and the mag drops. I usually chamber a round, hit the safety, then pull the mag out.

I bought a BX-25 mag and I used it once and now it just sits in my truck. It gets in the way to much
>>
>>33453118
>Alls it takes is a tap and the mag drops. I usually chamber a round, hit the safety, then pull the mag out.

? If the mag dropped, why would you have to pull it?

If you're bumping around in heavy brush like that does anything snag on the trigger?

There's a couple of extended 10 round aftermarket mags that would protect the mag release-- hot lips is one-- but even with the rotary mag, I've never heard of anyone having that problem.

Do you usually drag it through the mud?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.