[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently came across two boxes of shotgun shells that are from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: 12ga 20paper 2.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg (59KB, 700x421px) Image search: [Google]
12ga 20paper 2.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
59KB, 700x421px
I recently came across two boxes of shotgun shells that are from the late 70's. They are corroded and have a layer of white fuzz on them. What is the safest way to dispose of them? I live in New Hampshire.
>>
>>33438445
Picture related but not the actual shells.
>>
Shoot them
>>
>>33438445
>They are corroded and have a layer of white fuzz on them
>white fuzz
Are your shotgun shells molding?

In any case you need a hammer and a punch or a nail. Put the nail against the little round button in the center, and then tap it with the hammer. This will deactivate the round.
>>
>>33438445
Shooting them works
>>
Honestly, you could ask your local PD to dispose of them.
>>
Are they 12g?

Cause if so you should probably dispose of them safely down the barrel of a 12g.
>>
>>33438445
Shoot them you stupid fucking cuck.
>>
>>33438583
Dude is asking for advice, no need to be a faggot under the guise of trolling.

Op I'd shoot them. I've shot rounds that were left outside all winter and rusting. I think you'll be alright.

Post a pic of them.
>>
>>33438445
Take them to the closest police station, they know how to dispose of explosive materials safely. Call the non emergency number beforehand if you want to be sure.

Source: am syruplander who took a pistol round found while cleaning out an aunt's old apartment to a police station for disposal.
>>
>>33438445
Putting them in the oven for 10 mins on 350 degrees will break down the chemical composition of the primer rendering them inert.
>>
File: DEEP BREATHS.jpg (52KB, 501x507px) Image search: [Google]
DEEP BREATHS.jpg
52KB, 501x507px
Give them to children on Halloween
>>
>>33438445
Disassemble the shells, take the primers (if they're good), collect the shot, and then burn the powder in any way you deem fun/interesting. After all that you can simply throw away the old hulls.

I once found a box of 20g on the side of the road that was flattened, most of the shells were unusable and I don't own a 20g, but the primers for shotguns are one size and the lead shot doesn't go bad so I made up some 12g.
>>
>>33438445
Seriously take them to any gun shop or police station and they will gladly dispose of them.

Police would rather destroy the ammo than respond to a call about a blown off hand,

Guns shops dont like bad press of "Man hurts himself with old ammo".

>>33438583
>>33439094
This is why I hate /k/.
Idiots post shit like this and some people think they are serious posts. People do stupid shit like this and it just feeds the gun grabbers by proving that some people are too stupid to own guns.
>>
>>33439113
OP stated he lives in New Hampshire not Texas.

Just give out carmel coated onions instead.
>>
>>33438460
>>33438604
>>33438916
>>33438970
>>33439011

Dont shoot them.
They are from the 70s and growing fuzz. chances are the powder has gone flat. All it takes is one weak shot to plug a barrel and you get experience the power of a grenade near your face on the next shot.
>>
Send them to me, ass hat.
>>
>>33439199
God damn, you're a faggot.
>>
>>33439270
this isn't b gaytard
go troll there
>>
>>33439210
I live in new hampshire, most kids here would appreciate free ammo.
>>
>>33438445
if you don't want them just throw them in the trash you queer. if they ever blow up it won't be your fucking problem anymore
>>
>>33438445
What type of shot are they?
>>
>>33438445
Send pics, otherwise we can't tell how bad off they are. I just shot my grandpa's 30-year-old 10ga ammo last week without a hitch, despite some corrosion around the brass.

If you do shoot them, just listen close. If you hear any "fwoomp" instead of "boom," make sure you didn't plug the barrel. Other than that it should be fine.
>>
>>33438445
shoot them. it isnt like theyve become more powerful and more dangerous. if they dont go bang then throw away in household garbage
>>
>>33439046
You...took a single pistol bullet to the police for disposal? That's weird, nigga.
>>
>>33439113
This would certainly make stalkers happy but not children, or their soccer mom parents.
>>
>>33438445
Just open them up and salvage the shot and shells, if the primers are good them too
>>
>>33440272

He's Canadian, so not that weird.
>>
>>33440470
Even a leaf ought to know that a single bullet isn't worth wasting his and an officer's time.
>>
>>33438445
Cut the tops open, pour out the shot, tape a marble to the bottom over the primer, and throw it in the air on a wide concrete surface.
>>
throw them in a campfire.
>>
I've fired 12ga shells that looked a whole fucking bunch worse than that.

I found a box of Peters 12ga #7 in my gramps basement that were paper shells, still have the box, somewhere. They might have been there for 40 years. out of 25, I had 2 FTF, but they shucked out intact with dents in primers.

They looked greasy and the brass was turning green. I just wiped them off and blasted some shit in the woods.
>>
>>33440667

Police officers get double-pay for overtime, so they really don't give a fuck.
>>
>>33439113
>MFW grew up in rural town of <1000 people and got a 50rd box of .22LR rubber banded to a dum-dum one year for Halloween
>was
>not
>disappoint
>>
>>33438445
Put them in a bucket of water and seal the bucket. Problem solved.
>>
>>33438445
I was gifted around 200 shells of 12x65 birdshot which looked much worse than your pic. Put them all through a SxS Brno so feeding wasn't an issue but I had no trouble with primer detonation and the like.
>>
just put them in the trashcan
what the problem is?
>>
>>33438445
safest way to dispose of them is through the barrel of a nice shotgun
>>
>>33439046
this. except instead of being so reckless, call the bomb squad and request that EOD come to your house and cordon off the neighborhood in a 5 block radius, issuing a mandatory evacuation, while men in hazmat suits come in and assess the situation.

seriously, maybe you would be better off back in the fucking UK. or maybe you already are a UKuck. that actually makes more sense. in that case, bin the old shells and call it in to westminster abbey so they shut down the whole city while her majestys nuclear disposal unit comes in to investigate the matter
>>
>>33438445
The white fuzz is on the paper shell bodies, yeah? Shoot them.

>>33439236
I have fired surplus from the 1930s.

>>33439276
Your fears are irrational. Old ammo, if heavily corroded, can pose a slight risk to your firearm - esp in a rifle - in terms of total case failure, but even that wont cause permanent harm in most cases. As long as a shooter is mindful of the possibility of squibs - which you should be anyway, even with brand new ammo - its not a hazard.
>>
File: shot.jpg (113KB, 620x324px) Image search: [Google]
shot.jpg
113KB, 620x324px
>>33438445
>cut the shells
>save the pellets
>burn the gunpowder
>>
>>33438445
Here ill give ya a list,
1. Disassembly
Take a reasonably sharp knife and pry open the top of the shell. Now the shell is open, dump the shot out. Now with the affirmationed knife pull out the wad. Now you should see the powder dispose it. Now there should be a little button surrounded by plastic this is the top of the primer take a screwdriver and press it up against this (on the inside of the shell don't kill yourself idiot) then lightly tap the brass taking care not to hit the primer. And presto! The shell is entirely disassembled.
2. Spontaneous disassembly
Chamber the rounds one at a time if you have a single/double shot use it. Now fire the shell don't be surprised when it doesn't go off just collect it anyway. Now take you're dud cartridges and do step one, if they do fire throw em away er whatever
3. Safe disposal
If you're a real pussy you could take them in a ziplock bag to a hazardous material disposal plant. But you're on /k/ so if you pick this one you really don't belong here

And those are my suggestions.
>>
File: IMG_0112.png (805KB, 870x782px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0112.png
805KB, 870x782px
>>33439236
>weak shot plug the barrel

I don't know what fucking parallel universe you came from where a shotgun (thats not using a slug) can squib but here in our universe if the powder charge burns sufficiently to open the shell and not fire it down the barrel. Drum roll........ it will roll out the gun because by definition the shot is smaller in diameter than the barrel. But maybe MAYBE this was a mistake in terminology because I could se it being plausible for a WAD to squib not the shot
>>
Idk if anyone mentioned it, and it just came to me, is that white "mold" nitrocellulose leaking out?
>>
>>33442322
It might be
>>
>>33438445
Throw them in the fire.
>>
>>33441919
The casing could separate, and shot, wad, and casing together could plug the barrel.

In fact, cutting a shot shell to ensure casing separation is a method of improvising slugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU
>>
>>33439046
Why in fucking tarnation would you go to that extreme of a measure to dispose of a round
>>
>>33438445
Shoot them. Be aware of a light pop and a lack of recoil. Squib loads are pretty rare and I have shot some really nasty Chinese "NATO" 9mm loads that were more green than brass. Just push the load out with a large dowel or something.

It really isn't dangerous as long as the barrel is clear of obstructions.
>>
File: 1477716708265.jpg (63KB, 700x551px) Image search: [Google]
1477716708265.jpg
63KB, 700x551px
>>33438445

I'm in NH. I'll meet you at Dunkin' and take them off your hands for you.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.