[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am making a repeating gauss pistol (coil gun) at the moment and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Coilgun_animation.gif (56KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Coilgun_animation.gif
56KB, 600x300px
Am making a repeating gauss pistol (coil gun) at the moment and was just wondering why you can't just have one huge solenoid to fire a ferrous projectile, my friend who has made one says you need multiple solenoids and infrared detectors between them.
>>
>>33433600
You can, it'll just be less effective.
>>
Why would that happen? Surely more solenoid would equal more velocity?
>>
>>33433665
You would need disproportionately more power due to the resistance posed by more wire. It requires less power to put multiple coils and IR sensors in series.
>>
>>33433600
You don't know how a gauss gun works. At all.

Each solenoid attracts the projectile, they don't repel. One large solenoid would just pull and hold the projectile centered.

A gauss gun only works because each solenoid is switched off before it is slowing down the projectile pulling it back, and switching on the next one to continue pulling it along.
>>
File: sb-129.jpg (254KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
sb-129.jpg
254KB, 1024x683px
>>33433600
>/k/ of the future will argue about the merits of the latest gauss weapons
>>
>>33435066
The only real way that it would work the way he is proposing is if you did it the way Cody's Lab did. He affixed "brushes" to the projectile and they completed the circuit and produced the magnetic field. It was probably the most energy inefficient method you could ask for.
>>
>>33438220
Sounds more like a railgun if your conducting through the projectile.
>>
>>33438266
Oyster kind of a mix of both. The way it was made was pretty weird. I suggest you watch it. He explains the science pretty well. The coils produced the field, but the were pieces of copper that connected to the wire along the barell, if my memory doesn't fail me.
>>
I fucked that up. Apparently my phone thinks "it's" means "oyster"
>>
>>33438316

Nice try faggot you just tipped your hand and broke mollosc opsec.

How far along is our sonic weapon technology? Or are we going to have to use harpoons and torpedos against the
aquatoid molluscs (molluscoids?)

>Captcha is CRAB CASA

They're already in my house, someone dub saweel a sawarim to my post I need to blow myself up.
>>
>>33438353
>>33433600
>>>33438316
>
>Nice try faggot you just tipped your hand and broke mollosc opsec.
>
>
>How far along is our sonic weapon technology? Or are we going to have to use harpoons and torpedos against the
>aquatoid molluscs (molluscoids?)
>
>>Captcha is CRAB CASA
>
>They're already in my house, someone dub saweel a sawarim to my post I need to blow myself up.

My sides
>>
>>33438353
>not going for the obvious portmanteau of mollopsec
>>
>>33438353
>oysters are in the same family as cephalopods and octopuses

Blows my fucking kind how a rock with goo in it can evolve into a 8 testicled critter with a brain bigger than a chimp.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.