[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is weapon degradation real?? do guns/suppresors breakapart

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

is weapon degradation real??

do guns/suppresors breakapart after a while?
>>
You will fuck up a gun if you use it a lot without proper maintenance, yes. It's just not as extreme as it is in vidya.
>>
>>33432292
Yes, but it's not as sudden and often as video games make them out to be. I feel like Fallout NV did simulated it pretty well. Firearms with old and worn out parts are less reliable, and they can be easily fixed by replacing small components like springs and detents and pins, etc.
>>
>>33432292
WHAT??? Yes.

Do cars need oil checks? New batteries? Does your xbox heat up so much you have to turn it off for a half hour everynowandthen so it doesn't melt through the plastic drawer it sits on in the barely circulating air of your mancave?
>>
>>33432292
Every mechanical device wears out. The more moving parts, the faster that happens.

We're talking timscales of years though, and many tens of thousands of rounds before anything measurable starts to take place, given normal maintenance.

There is just no way a video game would be able to model that in any way that would be accurate, interesting, or add to the game.
>>
>>33432292
If you maintain them, it's very slow. But things like rifling do wear out over time, various internal components fail.
(I just had to install a new extractor, ejector and retaining spring on my 1897)
But in video games, it's not very true to real life. Instead of the whole thing breaking like in games, it's usually certain systems that fail. But that's too hard to code, so they just have a rapid degradation effect.
>>
>>33432313
>guns only last 3000 rounds
>you have to replace springs, not barrels or ruined chambers
>less reliable just means less likely to hit

How about no.
>>
>>33432329
Yo, is that the real Zed? I used to tinychat with you idiots.
>>
>>33432336
>(I just had to install a new extractor, ejector and retaining spring on my 1897)

Reminds me I need to do the same, and get one of those super tiny screws that go on the bottom of the receiver.
>>
>>33432368
What was your screename?
>>
>>33432393
I don't recall it could have been a lot of things. 40ozMouse? Either way good to see you man.
>>
>>33432401
Huh, I think I remember something like that? Good to see you too in any event. You still on TC?
>>
>>33432292
After 10s of thousands of rounds, yes.
>>
>>33432292
Guns have a long lifespan. On pic related, yes, swords, knives, bows, axes, etc, all wear down, especially with heavy use. Video game degradation tends to be much faster with swords breaking after a few swings. Not realistic. Though I never understood why skyrim had smithing skills yet had no real repair system for weapons. Would have made leveling up more realistic than buying iron ingot and making 100s of shitty daggers in order to level up.
>>
>>33432415
Nah I don't really spend my time like that anymore. I assume you and others peeled off into skype or something. You might remember me as the dude working as a butchers apprentice? Either way still doing gods work I hope, you're one of the good ones zed.
>>
File: 1490460355428.png (167KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
1490460355428.png
167KB, 256x384px
>>33432337
>repair expensive gun that would be $5k in our world
>with a $99 gun in world
>worth even less in theirs
>profit

It's like you don't want to be a desert jew, I mean survivalist.
>>
>>33432434
Thanks man! Good to talk to one of the old timers.
>>
>Skyrim
Wow, dude you are really up and on it on the culture.

You are pretty hip with it.

I don't know which one of your fagbook friends told you that 4chan was the new hangout spot, but you really need to go back to facebook.
>>
>>33432329
When did you get unbanned? I actually missed your shitposting
>>
>>33432292
Yes, but it's so heavily exxagerated in games that use it. They also tend to get jams for the wrong reasons. Something as simple as a bit of lube will make a gun last longer. For Skyrim, that would be hammering out dents and replacing strings (my bowstring lasted me god knows how many years before is started to wear, I shoot bow frequently too (50-100 arrows a day)).

Fallout New Vegas for example, exaggerates it by far. Unless you're doing what IV8888 is doing, no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSizVpfqFtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwSJiAwoMpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4OswUhLwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZcEjdvx8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQ8l22Ge8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Id_soYaAm8

Hell, the POF lasted longer.

Now don't get me wrong, I think it should be implemented in games. But it should be done in a way that isn't this simple "x number of shots gun starts to jam, x number of shots gun loses damage points then breaks down".

Rather individual parts, overheating, lubing, and material quality could be done. It isn't even that hard, because you could have some bull shit like "superior gas piston" "shoddy barrel" etc etc.
>>
>>33432337
The lower the condition of your weapon in Fallout 3/NV, the more likely it is to not reload properly and require require remedial action.

If your gun is about to break and you reload, you may need an extra tap+rack or some charging to get it working.

Which will seriously fuck you on harder difficulties.
>>
File: not mad.jpg (7KB, 158x200px) Image search: [Google]
not mad.jpg
7KB, 158x200px
Does it happen? Yes. Is the time scale correct? Not even close.

>>33432368
>>33432393
>>33432401
>>33432415
>>33432434
>>33432448
Wholesome
>>
>>33432519
It's just a quick time even. If you miss it, does the rifle explode in your hands from a double feed? Is there spikes ammo?

>>33432559
<3
>>
File: 1469661183585.jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469661183585.jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
>>33432491
>gun lights on fight
>screw it, I've got more ammo
>>
>>33432292
Of course pretty slow though, especially magazines full of ammo, the springs will wear out.
>>
>>33432292
Think about it this way OP.

You can get an old world war one rifle that has been taken care of, been cleaned, oiled, and this rifle is A-OK.
You can have that same model world war one rifle but this one hasn't been cleaned, oiled, or taken care of and it will probably still function BUT
One will function much better than the other.
>>
>>33432329
>Zed

Fuck off nigger holy shit
>>
>>33432292
>is weapon degradation real??

Yes. If you are shooting centerfire with any fast round the barrel will loose accuracy after 2000-3000 rounds. This is more pronounced in small calibre centerfire fast calibres but true of all centerfire rifles. This does not happen on .22LRs or centerfire subsonic loads generally. Many factors effect barrel wear but fast centerfire rifles all suffer from it.

Silencers are easily cleaned and some are self cleaning. The only thing that wears is the thread for screwing them on and off particularly if they have aluminium casings.

The rest of the stuff in this thread is largely rubbish. Firing pins, springs etc are unlikely to 'wear' unless subjected t extremes. Chambers do not wear. Magazine springs may change if left loaded for long periods or conversely when knew and off poor quality as loading to capacity will make them too tight until the magazine spring is broken in.

In handguns you may have wear in revolver cyclinders where the hand and lock indexes over time, mainly from people mishandling and playing with them empty. Rails on soft aluminium in semis can wear, again it depend on the power in the ammunition being used, steel arms I have that are 40+ years shooting are fine but then they are not firing 'hot' rounds like P+.

I have weapons that are 200 years old (flintlocks) that are perfectly serviceable including springs), also elderly break open shoitguns, percussion rifles, semi auto rifles, I have gas semi shotguns running for 30 years no problem. I guess only revolvers and centerfire rifles really evidence inevitable wear. Extractors are the part that will usually go first on semi autos that have been poorly looked after The wear on centerfire nriflesreally depends on several factors like I say but there will be a decline in accuracy in e.g a sub moa rifle as the barrel wears after 3000 odd rounds.

Firing pins chambers, bolts are not much of an issue though.
>>
>>33432292

Guns like 22s, bolt actions and shotguns basically have an unlimited lifespan though. A centerfire will be no sniper rifle after 400 round though.

Letting any weapon get very hot from rapid fire will accelerate barrel damage.

The only time I have seen silencers fail is when they were aluminium tubes and people had used them wet and fired many rounds causing a fire in them that caused the spring stacking the baffles to loose it's property.
>>
>>33432448
Post fedora picture
>>
>>33434129
>no sniper rifle after 400 round though.

sorry 4000
>>
>>33432329
>We're talking timscales of years though
you can kill even an AK with 5k corrosive ammo in 2 days if you don't clean it, especially under humid conditions. ofc it wil work but the bore, bolt, gas tube and trigger group parts will be blooming with rust.
>>
>>33432559
Hey Karoda! Wheres my beloved /k/ radio? Is the weekly bulletin over?
>>
>>33432658
>It's just a quick time even. If you miss it, does the rifle explode in your hands from a double feed?

No, but the few seconds you lose racking the fucking slide can cost you your life.
>>
>>33434183
Things are coming soon. I've actually left /k/ radio - I have some personal shit going on and I need to get that taken care of first. Thank you for the support nonetheless.
>>
>>33434180
>you can kill even an AK with 5k corrosive ammo in 2 days

That rate of fire would nearly inevitable involve rates of fire that would cause very hot barrels, at that stage barrel wear accelerates as doe the throat wear. It's abusing the weapon.Corrosion is always due to poor maintenance though.

Clear your guns, don't shoot them so the barrel is capable of frying an egg or with hot loads and most steel guns will last longer than you will live and be capable of hitting a 24 inch plate at 200 meters.
>>
>>33432292
Skyrim was a terrible game that was infinitely worse than Oblivion so who cares what you change
>>
>>33432491
It's especially easy with precision firearms.
You shoot too fast, and you degrade the barrel due to overheating. Then your shot placement falls off. Simple as that.
The way degraded parts affect guns could be extremely subtle or extremely obvious.
>>
>>33434250

Oblivion was trash. Skyrim was mediocre at best but it was better than that garbage.
>>
>>33432292
It is, but:
Vidya exaggerates it to obscene levels (like a revolver breaking after 1000 or so shots in Fallout)

Prevenrative care and maintenance is a thing
>some parts like springs, barrels and magazines are typically replaceable, because those can wear out and the rest of the gun is fine. I have seen A Fucking Leaf shoot out the bore on a Norinco AR and then got the gun deactivated, instead of just replacing the fucking barrel.

Suppressors could wear out I suppose but mostly they just get dirty.
>>
>>33434250
Oblivion was hot garbage unless you modded it to shiy, Skyrim is far from perfect but the base game is lightyears ahead of Oblivion.
>>
>>33432435
I loved earning the ire of the legioncucks because they would come bring me expensive weapons to repair for dimes and make huge profits.

They're also a ready supply of medium armor for repairing.
>>
>>33432658
>quicktime event
Wut, it transpires no matter what you do, it's literally just an animation that wastes your time for a bit, you can't influence it with your actions beyond making sure the gun isn't in poor condition.
>>
>>33432292
Pretty much >>33432313.
A lot of the apocalyptic games where guns fail is because they're so damn old and beat up though.
Close to a round count they never should have reached.

But as a gun owner you will personally probably never actually reach those round counts with anything that isn't extremely well used extremely old surplus.
>>
>>33434580
Basically this. It'd be like using a Nugget that has seen serious active duty in at least 75% of the conflicts listed on it's Wikipedia page
>>
>>33434235
No problem man. I remember always looking forward to coming home to listen to /k/ radio.

I hope you get through what ever it is you're going through, the content you made sure helped me cope with my own demons at times.
>>
>>33432292
Of the few games that did it well Jagged Alliance 2 did it the best. Especially with 1.13 where you can clean your guns which makes them go to hell slower.

Basically fire few thousands rounds and everything will start jamming whole the time without maintenance(repairing, let's say you'll still clean it). Also explosions can wreck equipment.
>>
File: tmp_19990-1489741048416256088823.gif (1023KB, 396x361px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_19990-1489741048416256088823.gif
1023KB, 396x361px
>>33432292
How about we discuss the real issue with vidya guns.

>loot one gun
>instantly have endless supply of pre-loaded magazines

Literally why?
>>
File: 1485561361781.png (189KB, 1280x1122px) Image search: [Google]
1485561361781.png
189KB, 1280x1122px
>>33434945
>Ammo: 245/245
>fire one round
>reload, tossing the mag
>Ammo: 244/245
>>
>>33432313
Shit, my frame cracked.
You will need:
>duct tape
>a vacuum cleaner
>scrap metal
>copper wire
>weapon repair kit
1. Place items inside repair kit, close.
2. Turn ratchet on side
3. Open. If results unsatisfactory, find another pistol and repeat.

I hope you brought three of those .357 magnums with you, anon.
>>
>>33434945
Because 8 magazines basic load is overpowered.
>>
>>33432292
>ifunny
>>
>>33434100
>If you are shooting centerfire with any fast round the barrel will loose accuracy after 2000-3000 rounds
"No"
>>
>>33434100
This entire post is bait
>>
>>33432329
Holy shit! It's been so bad here that I've actually missed your shitposting.
>>
>>33434945
because normies wouldn't understand it
ARMA and pre-Future Soldier Ghost Recon did persistent mag loads
>>
>>33432292
I mean, sorta? The firing pin and springs and things will be worn out eventually, but it's not like in vidya where the thing is just a useless pile of shit after a few days. You do have to keep them cleaned every now and then or they'll jam up, but I have a lever gun from 1909 that still shoots just fine.
>>
>>33434945
This
also fucking goddamn hate firing one round, swapping out the magazine, and still having only shot one round.
Some games do that, most don't, because /k/ommando and vidya gamers don't really overlap that much.
>>
File: p30wear.jpg (144KB, 800x491px) Image search: [Google]
p30wear.jpg
144KB, 800x491px
Yup, it is not a meme.

https://pistol-training.com/archives/2668

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8_uN0OIVs
>>
>>33434945
I'd like more games to handle this. Not with some autism-tier "drag and drop every round into every mag" but something basic reload/organize ammo button that you can only do outside of battle or at a campfire or whatever.
>>
>>33432319
If there was ever a way to prove you were noguns this is it
>>
>>33434945

>The Last Of Us gameplay vid pre release
>Shows Joel actually emptying a found revolver for the ammo
>Neat!
>Game comes out
>He just pockets the whole gun into his bag of automatic unloading

GOD DAMN IT
>>
>>33439988

>alternate universe
>Last of us shows pre-release shows him just putting the revolver in his pocket
>thats gay
>game comes out
>drops ammo into his hand and picks out the spent cartridges then pockets the rest
>fuck this game i don't want to see this cutscene every time
>>
>>33432292
Yes, but nowhere near as fast as game mechanics dictate.
>>
>>33432292
does a tiny explosion and friction wear something down? gee op I fucking wonder.
>>
>>33432711
That is the attitude aks give you after you've fucked with them a few times.
>>
Black Powder weapons require thorough cleaning right after every shooting session. If left just one day, the barrel and the mechanism will start corroding and it becomes unreliable, unsafe even.
Modern weapons, not so much.
>>
File: 1436684556859.jpg (440KB, 693x693px) Image search: [Google]
1436684556859.jpg
440KB, 693x693px
>>33432313
>I feel like Fallout NV did simulated it pretty well.

Yes because having gun fall apart after 500 rounds is realistic.
>>
>>33436307
He's not wrong though - you wouldn't notice if you arent a competition shooter, but, depending on the cartridge, those round counts are more or less accurate as to when throat erosion becomes detectable by a bore scope and groups start to widen slightly. The barrels are by no means ruined for 99% of people but its the difference between a competition rifle shooting 1/4moa to 1/2moa. You should study long range competition shooting. Cartridges like 6.5x284 and the belted magnums can show a measurable decline in under 1000 rounds.

As for totally ruining a barrel to the point of larger than minute-of-man that's more of a 20,000-30,000 round proposition, again *highly* dependant on the cartridge you are using.
>>
>>33432292
>>33441907
>Take new AR to range
>Fire 50 rounds
>Pack it away without cleaning it
>Take it back to the range a year later
>Jams every other shot

Swords and stuff were pretty fragile if abused, but guns can be unreliable as fuck if you're a noguns dumbass
>>
>>33442169
>>33432292
>Limpwrist 1911 as dumbass noguns but think it's the gun's problem
>manually drop rounds into chamber trying to figure this out
>damage 1911's snowflake extractor doing that
>now it stovepipes EVERY shot instead of every few

My first gun ever.
>>
>>33434945
>>33435058
play some PR you idiots
>>
>>33432292
Bladed weapons would definitely lose an edge if you used them like you do in a video game. Think of all the times you swung your sword at rocks, walls, etc.
>>
>>33434100
>loose
Retard confirmed
>>
>>33432292
Man, that was the most frustrating thing about Far Cry 2.

It's a god tier game but their weapon lifetime was ridiculous.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.