[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guns are the perfect example of the old saying, "in for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

File: in for a penny, in for a pound.jpg (761KB, 2513x1191px) Image search: [Google]
in for a penny, in for a pound.jpg
761KB, 2513x1191px
Guns are the perfect example of the old saying, "in for a penny, in for a pound."

>buy a gun because guns are cool
>gun price includes federal excise tax
>have to pay taxes and background check on top of that
>rifle is useless without sights, so buy a scope
>scope is useless without mounts, so buy mounts
>need tools to install mounts and scope, so buy them
>have to buy ammo to shoot gun
>ammo is too expensive, so buy reloading equipment
>need a place to shoot, so pay for range membership
>need to buy a gun case and range bag to carry gun and accouterments to range
>need to buy hearing protection and targets to shoot at
>need to buy spotting scope to see what I hit
>need to buy new trigger when I realize how heavy factory triggers really are
>need to buy cleaning equipment to keep gun clean and accurate
>want to shoot a live target, so pay to go hunting
>need to buy knives to gut animal
>need to pay butcher to process meat
>need to buy icebox to transport meat
>can't carry rifle everywhere, so buy handgun
>more ammo and reloading equipment
>pay for concealed carry class required by state
>pay for concealed carry license
>need to pay for new concealed carry license if I ever move out of state
>need to buy holster
>need to buy new holster when I realize old holster is uncomfortable
>need to buy custom handgun grip because factory grip is shitty
>need to pay for training because concealed carry class is a fucking joke where slow fire at still targets is considered proof of marksmanship
>need to buy bulk ammo for training
>need to buy legal insurance in case I ever actually use my fucking concealed carry piece
>etc.

If only I had known when I saw the price tag on that gun that it was only the tip of the iceberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4-h-Wx08kw
>>
Yes, guns are an expensive hobby and states all over the world are doing their best to financially discourage people by adding various taxes and fees on it.
>>
>>33410714
If you lived in a free state about 80% of that is a non-issue. And yes, Guns are a hobby that you put money into.
>>
>>33410714
>rifle is useless without sights, so buy a scope
if rifle is useful it's useful with or without
>>
>>33410744
I live in Tennessee. What state do you live in that doesn't have all that shit.

>>33410744
>Guns are a hobby that you put money into
Calling that an understatement would itself be an understatement. Guns are the most expensive hobby since boating.
>>
File: 1482294008952.jpg (491KB, 1229x1803px) Image search: [Google]
1482294008952.jpg
491KB, 1229x1803px
Have you tried golf?
>>
>>33410714
>can't carry rifle everywhere
So?
Only people who need to carry a gun are niggers
>>
>>33410747
Don't be ridiculous. You can't shoot a rifle without sights, and most rifles nowadays don't even have irons.
>>
>>33410762
Having a gun for "self defense" doesn't make much sense if it's only useful at the house.
>>
>>33410776
Having a gun for "self defense" doesn't make much sense
>>
>>33410714
Yep, I learned quickly that I have to budget at least half of the price of the gun on accessories, cleaning supplies, tools, etc. The tools part wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a literal numale cuck as a father who didn't have any tools besides a Phillips and Flathead screwdriver. For cleaning supplies, it's best to buy in bulk generally.

One thing I'm noticing is that I'm starting to spend more money on optics than on my rifles themselves. I recently built a dedicated hog hunting AR-15 and while the gun itself is pretty plain and was only about $800 total, I've spent more on the optic and mount. Same with my Tikka T3x CTR, only $900 for the rifle and nearly $1500 on the optic and $200 for the bipod.
>>
>>33410714
Most of this shit costs less than $50. Other things are solved by not being a retard in the first place and buying quality items.
>>
>buy gun with irons that eats ammo I can afford to feed
>buy a cleaning kit, ear/eyepro, decent bag; these will be reused for all future guns
>?????????????????
>buy more guns
>buy rare guns
>buy more guns
shit you're right, there goes all my money
>>
File: 1487497839361.jpg (68KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487497839361.jpg
68KB, 720x720px
>>33410793
Head back to the caliphate, Nigel.
>>
>>33410714
>need a place to shoot, so pay for range membership
What? Just shoot on state land.
>>
>>33410714
Yup, guns are for people with jobs, that make their own money.

You fucking worthless NEET.
>>
File: 1483593768384.jpg (50KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
1483593768384.jpg
50KB, 600x422px
FREEDOM ISNT FREE
>>
File: 1481987649470.jpg (31KB, 448x478px) Image search: [Google]
1481987649470.jpg
31KB, 448x478px
>>33411199
>>
>>33410757
guns are cheap as fuck compared to cars
>>
>>33410714
What idiot pays taxes on a gun when they buy it. That is just un-American.
>>
>>33410714
>If only I had known when I saw the price tag on that gun that it was only the tip of the iceberg
You didn't know that?
and what the shit you didn't even buy cleaning gear for it
>>
If you want to make an omelet, you've gotta break some eggs.

I can shit out a similar long list when it comes to being a ham radio operator. Hobbies cost money boo hoo. Faggot poorfag.

It ain't like buying a console once every 4-5 year and a couple 60 dollar games each year to keep you occupied.
>>
>>33410758
Severely underrated comment
>>
>>33410714
>Not butchering your own meat
Bubba tier durr hunta detected.
You're that guy who cuts out the backstrap of a durr and leaves the rest to rot, ain't ya?
Sit in a treehouse playing with your dick for a couple of days out of the year to shoot a deer you've been feeding for months. Why not go shoot a cow?
Then you guys will turn around and tell me my trapping is unethical, it always starts out "I'm a durr hunter, ok, but..."
You probably don't even tan the hides.
>>
>>33410769
So pick out a better gun, idjit.
>>
>>33410793
it makes tons of sense
>>
>>33410714
>buy a scar
>stock breaks
>charging handle is shit so buy extended one
>buy optic because irons are shit
>new trigger pack because squishy as my dick
>by aluminum lower because the original polymer one is shit
>price of the gun is now over 4K
wew
>>
>>33411552
Could've just bought a PTR made G3 clone and been done the first time 'round
>>
>>33411552
>buy LWRC REPR
>It's literally perfect
Live happily ever after
>>
>>33410714
Best thing about guns is that you sort of acquire everything naturally or in a progression. I have shit I looked out for and bought years ago that I STILL don't have a use for but I know I will need down the road.
>>
>>33411573
And once you have them you generally have them til you die (or sell/move/get divorced/etc,etc), my first rifle, my M24/47 Yugo Mauser, isnt magically not a good rifle just because I have a few semi autos now.
>>
>>33411619
I agree.

Guns are a collecting hobby.

OP must just have become overwhelmed when he realized you can go into a thousand rabbit holes and not necessarily be done like you can with other collecting hobbies.

I collect books as well, that is a hobby which can very quickly ruin a man if he doesn't have a good grasp on how to organize and control his purchases and enjoyment.
>>
>>33411128
Not him but there is no state land to shoot on here.

Still a range pass for a day costs $15 who cares
>>
>>33410757
Well let's see here. In Missouri,
>you are prohibited by law from charging to run a background check
>CC permit itself is free (do need to pay for class though)
>multiple DNR ranges around the state that are free to shoot at
>always have the option of walking down to look at your target, no spotting scope required
>can carry rifle literally everywhere
>SYG/castle doctrine/legal preemption of civil suits if not charged with a crime in a SD shooting (if it's a clean shoot they cannot sue), no need for insurance
>>
>>33411245
Nigger guns are cheap as fuck compared to MOST hobbies. Including >>33410758
golf
>>
>>33411396
Deer leather is pretty worthless tho m8. Thinner and more prone to tearing than cowhide, keeping the fur on is harder than most other animals, and the fur itself (due to being hollow) is brittle and breaks off easily once tanned.

I did one just to see if I could, it's tacked to the wall in my dad's basement.
>>
>>33411571
>buy REPR
>need to drop $2500 on a home gym to be able to carry it more than 50 feet
YUP, PERFECT
>>
>>33411199
Holy shit that's heavy handed
>>
File: 1489913020435.png (188KB, 1130x840px) Image search: [Google]
1489913020435.png
188KB, 1130x840px
>>33411237
>>33411750
You should look into the Russian Revolution

https://youtu.be/S887u0sICN4
>>
>>33411739
A gun that weeds out the weak from the strong.

Now that truly is perfection.
>>
>>33410757
>Guns are the most expensive hobby since boating.

My friend's mom owns horses and goes to barrel races. THAT is an expensive hobby.

>rode horses as a child, decide to get into barrel racing as an adult
>buy a decent barrel horse for $8k
>need more room for horse, buy ranch with 100 acres, 2 barns, and a house
>buy $25k horse trailer with living quarters in it so you don't have to pay for lodging when going to barrel races
>buy $55k diesel pickup truck to haul horse trailer
>trailer and truck require constant maintenance
>barrel horse starts getting old, buy more horses
>try to breed a good barrel horse using her own mares and a good stud
>end up with 9 horses, none are great barrel horses, buy new barrel horse for $12k, now have 10 horses
>pay thousands of dollars for horse training and seminars
>horses require shoes and hoof trimming, $125 per horse every few months
>buy $5k worth of alfalfa hay and $6k worth of regular hay per year
>buy $400 worth of other feed per week
>try to write off "ranch expenses" on taxes, CPA says that since they're not actually selling animals to make money that they can't really write "ranch expenses off"
>buy 100 acres adjoining the property, 12 cows, and a bull
>need bigger tractor to handle 200 acres, buy $40k 90hp cab tractor
>now able to write off "ranch expenses" on taxes, ranch shows a loss of over $30k every year
>it just goes on and on and on

And that's why you never marry or date a woman who's into horses.
>>
>>33410806
>I recently built a dedicated hog hunting AR-15 and while the gun itself is pretty plain and was only about $800 total, I've spent more on the optic and mount.

My AR-15 hog gun just has a Vortex Strike Eagle with Aero Precision mount on it, why would you need a $800+ optics setup for hunting hogs?
>>
>>33411396
I butcher and package my own meat but fuck tanning hides. I did that one year using an egg/brain tanning method for 3 deer hides, 2 coon furs, 2 opossum furs, and one hog hide. I'm never doing that bullshit again.
>>
>>33411833

How horrifying. This seems like a pretty lackluster and expensive hobby to get into if you don't already have a ranch or farm to start off with. Horse girls are also batshit insane and most likely tried having sexual relations with their horse or some shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b7ke-khMLM

>>33411245

Motorcycles are fun and cost a decent amount of cash lower than cars. It's just taking them into dealerships/shops will cost you almost 2x as much in labor costs compared to cars because "Muh specialization". It's better to work on them yourself since they're not that hard to work on in the first place.
>>
>>33411833
>buy 55k pickup
Or you could buy a 10k pickup and do the same thing

Or a 5k pickup

Shit, my dad bought an isuzu trooper for 2k
>>
>>33411909
Small trucks won't pull a horse trailer safely. Large diesel trucks retain value well enough you're not finding anything other than a shitheap for under $15k.
>>
>>33411128
That's not a thing where I live
>>
>>33411909
It's hard to pull a 10k pound gooseneck horse trailer loaded with 3-4 horses (each horse weighs an additional 1k pounds), with about 1k pounds of gear, hay, feed, and shit in the living quarters with an isuzu trooper.
>>
>>33411935
Pretty much, the sweet spot on used 1 ton diesel pickup trucks is in the $18k-$25k range IMO. Of course, some sucker still has to buy it new, lots of 1 ton diesel duallies are going for $60k or more these days.
>>
>>33411896
Do you have any suggestions on getting into building bikes? I like working on cars, I've got a couple project cars that I work on from time to time but it gets expensive after a while. I know fuck all about motorcycles but really dig old bikes, especially military ones from the 40s
>>
>>33410762
>only niggers have guns
If only there was a way that this could have been avoided?
>>
>>33411833
horse women love 3 things.

>horses
>daddys money
>(you)

in that order.
>>
>>33412080
The 14th Amendment was a mistake.
>>
>>33411909
>it's another poorfag claiming the budget option is just as good post
>>
>>33411730
Agreed that it is lacking as a leather.
I slip the hair, brain tan it, then use it as a backing for rabbit and muskrat based clothing. I give most away to friends. Gonna put together a sick buckskin jacket ine of these days though. Then it's on to bear pants.
>>
>>33411879
I'm a trapper, so it just goes right into the "to do" pile in the fur shed. It's worth it for the mountain man clothes though. Nobody fucks with a guy wearing animal pelts and hides crudely whip stitched together with sinew.
>>
>>33410714
>>33411033
>>33411833
sounds like these people just suck at life, in general.
>>
>>33410714
>Paying for hunting
>Paying for a range

: ^ ))
>>
>>33410714
>hey guys, hobbies can be expensive
no shit, dummy.
The spare room in my house has something like 3 grand worth of yarn because that's ONE of my girlfriend's hobbies.
I can easily upgrade my gaming rig once a year to the tune of a couple hundred bucks, if I so chose.
You like making pottery, before you know it, you own a 10k kiln in your back yard.
You can spend more than that building 1 deck to play m:tg seriously.
There are people who build and restore classic cars as a hobby. Investing 90k in a project isn't unheard of.
so yeah, 500 bucks for a plinker with some ammo to go shoot out in the woods until I'm bored is an option, which could get absurdly expensive if I let it
>>
>>33412768
You can't hunt for free. You either pay someone to hunt on his land, pay the state in the form of permits to hunt on their land, or buy your own land.
>>
>>33412791
>3 grand worth of yarn because that's ONE of my girlfriend's hobbies.
For $3000, those better be some pretty comfy sweaters and Trump pussy hats.
>>
>>33410714
What is any hobby gets expensive

skiing, shooting, camping, golf, cycling... etc. they're all super fucking pricey once you start getting nice equipment but its worth it cause they're fun as fuck.
>>
>>33410714
That's most hobbies, I'm pretty embarrassed by the amount of money I've spend on plastic space army men and materials to assemble and paint them.
>>
>>33412918
Camping is really not that expensive. I guess through hiking can get pricey, but I can't think of cheaper weekend plans than backpacking in the national forest.
>>
>>33412918

>cycling

This.

>decent mountain bike $3000 (can go much higher)
>new seat because factory shit is garbage $100-$200
>pedals (mid tier to high end bikes don't come with them $150
>helmet $100+
>good shorts $100 (if you're a cheap fuck)
>jersey $90
>shoes for pedals $150+ (if you're a cheap fuck)
>riding glasses $100+
>gloves $40
>bike rack for car $400
>tubeless conversion with new tires $150+

Later on

>front suspension maintenance $90
>rear suspension maintenance $120
>chain $75
>cables/housing $50
>new tires $100+
>want to ride in the winter? $300-$500 for winter gear and have a full service interval every two months
>>
>>33412968
Actual backpacking is or at least can be, especially if you go ultralight. Yeah, you can car-camp on the cheap ($50 Coleman tent, $50 Coleman sleeping bag, $20 Coleman cooler, whatever you use to cook with and you're set for 10 years provided you don't get drunk as shit and mangle your tent).

While yeah I COULD probably lug 80+lbs of low-end bullshit and milsurp through the national forest, I'm out there to enjoy nature not get a workout. So I invested in high-end gear and a 3-day hike sees me wearing maybe 25lbs of crap instead of 80. I've got probably $6k worth of hiking gear and none of it is truly best-in-class stuff. A full, best-in-class routine-backpacking setup is $10k, any alpine kit is gonna be $20k+, actual mountaineering shit can push $100k for a full setup.
>>
File: 1471034078689.png (2MB, 1275x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1471034078689.png
2MB, 1275x1041px
>>33412918
>tfw you have a ton of different hobbies
>>
>>33413278
>tfw you get really into a hobby/activity, almost to an obsessive level
>spend all of your free time and money on said hobby
>read countless forum threads and informative web pages on hobby
>3-6 months later you wake up one day and the hobby no longer interests you at all, you're just burnt out on it
>in a few days time, some new hobby piques your interest
>repeat above process for a decade

I actually just rotate through 5-6 hobbies at this point, after a year or two of "cooling off time" I can jump back into a hobby and obsess over it enthusiastically again.

>guns / hunting
>boating / fishing
>hiking / camping
>motorcycles
>board level electronic tinkering
>furniture building / carpentry
>>
>>33413153
Nigger, are you implying I don't "actually backpack"?
I'll pack out your mutilared torso.
Fucking ultralight bullshit is a cancerous presence in the community.
>>
>>33411299
I have a pretty fucking high sales tax.

Other than that, no, I don't have other taxes.
>>
>>33411706
I'm in SD. You dont even need to go to a class here. Just pass a background check and pay 10$.
>>
>>33413804
Technically MO is constitutional (permitless) CC and OC, but most people get one anyway because we have 47 state reciprocity and most people only charge $50 for the course.
>>
>>33413616
No nigger, how fucking retarded are you?
>Fucking ultralight bullshit is a cancerous presence in the community.
Ok apparently you are quite retarded.
>>
>>33413386
That's why you have complimentary hobbies. I.e. guns+hunting motorcycles+mechanical engineering
>>
>>33413895
Decent, cheap, and rugged gear has all but dissapeared. Now everything is made out of aircraft aluminum, or magnesium, or fucking magic and only comes in bright pastel colors, and costs a fortune so that some faggot in silicon valley can feel a little less emasculated by buying it for his "expedition" in Yosemite.
My external frame pack weighs in at 35 pounds and all of my gear, save the water purifyer, is over a decade old,from well before this ultralight craze caught on. We all aren't through hikers, some of us just take long weekends. Glad your ruck is sooo light, but ultralight is a cancerous presence. It's all you can find now, and producers and consumers forgot that a middle ground exists.
>>
>>33413895
>ultralight
>not cancerous
ah yes, the brilliant minds that come up with this type of autistic shit
>>
>>33414219
>The amount of shit that has to go perfectly right for pic related to work
It's LARPing for urbanites and/ or Californians
>>
>>33412008

You buy a project bike or a bike below 2010 if you want a decent price for it. Harley's are for suburban faggots who want to show off their toys to an uninterested audience of sport bike and duel sport riders. You're also paying about 5000 for the brand as well.

It's really what you want to do with them. Bikes that date older than 1980's will have be a bitch for both your wallet and for parts though.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.